Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 05:58 AM

81 posts, read 317,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
Or is it just me? I find it totally overrated. We are in Paris right now. Paris reminds me kind of on the Bronx and Queens

My friend came from London and she said that she will never want to live in London never ever.... cuz she said that there is alot of immigrants from third world... and she described it like you did about paris...europe is becoming muslimize.. lol...

Old 12-20-2009, 06:01 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,992,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherjohnson View Post
I agree, I always found Paris to be overrated. I think maybe in the early 20th century it earned it's reputation & the only people who still rate it so highly do so based on romanticized ideas, certainly not reality.

Give me Vienna or Prague any day, at least the people there aren't so morose! lol
I haven't visited Vienna or Prague but hope to someday.
But can you explain why you found the people of Paris "morose"? I didn't see it. Sure it is a large, capital city and many of the people are busy going about their business but no different than any large city as far as I could tell.
If I am not mistaken in the French culture it is considered ill-mannered to maintain eye contact with a stranger. And you don't just strike up conversations with strangers for no reason at all. Is this what you meant? I actually found this refreshing compared to the U.S. (Midwest at least) where some stranger starts blathering on to me in the grocery store, waiting room or any other areas where strangers are contained with one another.

Old 12-20-2009, 06:29 AM

3,565 posts, read 4,875,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiss90 View Post
My friend came from London and she said that she will never want to live in London never ever.... cuz she said that there is alot of immigrants from third world... and she described it like you did about paris...europe is becoming muslimize.. lol...
Lol. You have never been to the U.S. huh? There are only 2% of blacks in the UK.. Yeah, a LOT for Europeans, but not really a lot for the U.S. Compared to any major U.S city, London is almost entirely white.

"Muslimized" ? This forum is so full of bigots. It's just a religion, nothing else.

Old 12-20-2009, 06:42 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,065,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J'aimeDesVilles View Post
I do have to add that the Eiffel Tower is no big deal. .
Certainly I agree that there is much more to Paris, but for me the Eiffel Tower was *magical* at night, and a fun shared experience with other tourists from all over the world.

Old 12-20-2009, 08:42 AM

That's true. At night it's really awesome to look at. I think they installed more lights jsut for Christmas. But I've never seen it before at night, so I could be mitaken.

Old 12-20-2009, 08:50 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,887,424 times
I'm a Parisian.
I guess you are not interested by what I'm going to say, because if you are a Paris lover (as so many on US CityData), you will say "I have issues" or even maybe "I'm a sociopath".
But still I can't resist telling you the awful truth : overrated is a small word.
Ask any middle class or low income average Parisian : Paris is the pits.
Quality of life , very low, akin to the Third World, small, expensive flats, dirty pavements-there's always some kinds of public works going on-, most of the French people who came from the province to earn a wage in Paris have only a dream : go back to their province.
Morose, yes.
Dirty, yes.
Polluted, yes.
Noisy, yes (police, firemen ambulances and government official think it's their god-given right to use their siren all the time)
Chaotic public transportation (right now on strike again because the train drivers feel unhappy to work 6 hours a day earning 4000 $), yes.
And now there's a new phenomenon : young thugs (hoodies) from the banlieue invade the center of Paris , steal, beat people, fight between themselves OK Corral style.
But you don't want to know the truth about the "City Of Lights" anyway, do you ?

Old 12-20-2009, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
I'm a Parisian.
I guess you are not interested by what I'm going to say, because if you are a Paris lover (as so many on US CityData), you will say "I have issues" or even maybe "I'm a sociopath".
But still I can't resist telling you the awful truth : overrated is a small word.
Ask any middle class or low income average Parisian : Paris is the pits.
Quality of life , very low, akin to the Third World, small, expensive flats, dirty pavements-there's always some kinds of public works going on-, most of the French people who came from the province to earn a wage in Paris have only a dream : go back to their province.
Morose, yes.
Dirty, yes.
Polluted, yes.
Noisy, yes (police, firemen ambulances and government official think it's their god-given right to use their siren all the time)
Chaotic public transportation (right now on strike again because the train drivers feel unhappy to work 6 hours a day earning 4000 $), yes.
And now there's a new phenomenon : young thugs (hoodies) from the banlieue invade the center of Paris , steal, beat people, fight between themselves OK Corral style.
But you don't want to know the truth about the "City Of Lights" anyway, do you ?
I live in Houston. Proud to say that Houston did toughen me up Nothing shocks me anymore.

Why do you say

Quote:
That was new?

Old 12-20-2009, 09:20 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,887,424 times
That was new?

Relatively new, it's been happening since a few years, like happy slappings et al.
Lots of burglaries too, generally,insecurity is on the rise, although our President was elected on a law-and-order stance, but he has no time to worry about that, too busy with his cronies.
Paris is a jungle, but people here on USCityData, who mostly have an experience of that city on short trips and stay usually in the touristic parts, more protected, don't want to acknowledge that.
It's even courageous of you, as the OP, to dare question that Paris is "the Mother Of All Cities", because there are a bunch of people here who won't let pass any critics of their favorite city, for me these people live in la-la land, for them if I have issues with the city where I live (and where I was born), it's because I'm a misfit and my advice is not needed, they'd rather listen to touroperators...
Oh well........

Old 12-20-2009, 11:52 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,065,075 times
Every city is a jungle in its own way.
And of course settling and living in a place, large or small, is far different from visiting for a week or two.

Even if a newbie arrives prepared, having done research, bad things can still happen, just like they can happen in Tokyo, New York, Beijing, LA, San Francisco, Barcelona.

Bad things of one sort or another have been happening in Paris for centuries.

Apparently, enough good things happen to keep Paris desirable.

PS
I thought Cairo was the "Mother of all Cities."
Or was it Rome?

Old 12-21-2009, 04:27 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,864,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Nope

Many places are different to the locals. I'll bet some residents of Hawaii don't think it is paradise.

Besides, when you say 'City of Lights' I think of Perth.

Perth became known worldwide as the "City of Lights" as city residents lit their house lights and streetlights as American astronaut John Glenn passed overhead while orbiting the earth on Friendship 7 in 1962.
Perth, Western Australia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe