Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 05:18 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
I am constantly super amazed at how many people post here who are on some type of prescription drugs or have some type of medical issue/ailment/shortcoming.

I dont think Ive ever in my adult life had to be on any prescription meds and cant even remember the last time I was sick. I truly in my heart believe that its because I am constantly doing some type of physical exercise (martial arts, tai chi, yoga, weights, cardio). Even when I was a little kid, I'd go in the backyard and lift rocks trying to imitate Vasilly Alexeyev and jumping over things like Daley Thompson or Carl Lewis. This continued on into my teens and into my adult life. Maybe Ive just been lucky with genes because none of my brothers or sisters have been on meds either, but I HAVE to think its because of being active.

Is there ANYONE else here who is NOT on any prescription meds?
Anyone else NOT dealing with some physical ailment/disease?
I take aldactone for my skin (weight loss caused a hormone imbalance which triggered hormonal acne 18 months ago) and Lunesta for insomnia when I need to catch up on sleep; I don't take Lunesta every day.

I also use advair and proair inhalers, but my asthma has been a life-long affliction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 05:22 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I won't, either. Even if you sit and explain for 10 minutes (which I don't have) how their kid does not need antibiotics and that taking them when it's unnecessary can be dangerous and cause resistant bacteria, etc, etc, the parents just get mad, send a complaint letter, threaten to sue, etc.

It's ridiculous.
I sometimes push back when the doc prescribes antibiotics. I am friends with a few doctors and they admit they will sometimes prescribe antibiotics to some patients because it's part of the "standard of care" that their hospital requires them to follow even though they personally feel they're not needed.

The last time I took a really heavy-duty one was when I had pneumonia in spring '09 and I had a shot in the hip when my cat bit my finger and it swelled to twice its normal size and was turning purple. But if I have a cold or the flu I won't even go to the doc unless it fails to clear up on its own in 10 days or so...makes me think there might be a secondary infection. And I haven't had the flu for years, thank goodness.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:22 AM

7,182 posts, read 9,231,276 times
Quote:
I am constantly super amazed at how many people post here who are on some type of prescription drugs or have some type of medical issue/ailment/shortcoming.

I dont think Ive ever in my adult life had to be on any prescription meds and cant even remember the last time I was sick. I truly in my heart believe that its because I am constantly doing some type of physical exercise (martial arts, tai chi, yoga, weights, cardio). Even when I was a little kid, I'd go in the backyard and lift rocks trying to imitate Vasilly Alexeyev and jumping over things like Daley Thompson or Carl Lewis. This continued on into my teens and into my adult life. Maybe Ive just been lucky with genes because none of my brothers or sisters have been on meds either, but I HAVE to think its because of being active.

Is there ANYONE else here who is NOT on any prescription meds?
Anyone else NOT dealing with some physical ailment/disease?
I wish! Been taking prescription meds for yrs. I think a lot of us come to forums like this because we are not completely satisfied with our Drs care. Try getting exercise advice out of your Dr. The last time I did it was, "Be active." Literally.

The second problem is drugs prescription or OTC are a knee-jerk reaction for MDs. At least for people my age. You go to the Dr with a problem and he has a pill for you. Cholesterol on the edge, have a pill for that.

To be fair, most patients don't want to hear the prescription diet and exercise from their Drs. We don't want to spend months of hard effort getting into shape. We want our gratification NOW! We expect miracles from medicine and get mad when it doesn't deliver.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:59 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
I don't know who all these pill-happy doctors are. We've been fortunate to not have them. My husband and I have the same GP, and although she and I apparently disagree about my knees, she is not pushy about pills. My husband's HDL (or whichever the good cholesterol is, I always forget) was low, so she told him to eat half an avocado a day. He's had digestion problems for years, and she told him to eat yogurt with live cultures. Both those issues have cleared up nicely. And neither she nor the kids' pediatrician push antibiotics. We tell them we don't want them, and they're very approving. I think my son has taken antibiotics once in six years.

Old 08-13-2010, 11:28 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,262,240 times
I like to use nutrition to do what the pills do. It takes a whole load longer, but less negative side effects. Wanting to avoid surgery and possible life long pain/anti-inflammatory meds is what got me more into the details of nutrition.

Old 08-13-2010, 11:59 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,452,624 times
Ya know despite what some people may think, there are many of us who take prescriptions for conditions that are out of our control.

My brother was an avid athlete and an asthmatic. When he played sports he still had to use his inhaler and take steroids. As far as I know, glaucoma (which I have) is not caused by a lack of exercise. Sure exercise might help, but glaucoma has a strong genetic link. I can't help the hand I was dealt. Then you also have type 1 diabetes, crohns's disease, certain types of cancer, and other disorders that are not related to physical fitness.

I do agree that exercise goes a long way with diseases like type 2 diabetes and heart disease. However people who exercise but still have to take medications to keep those conditions under control should not be looked down upon.

It seems like some of you are thumbing your noses at those of us who take prescription drugs.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:14 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,262,240 times
I am thumbing my nose at the prices! THEY ARE INSANE!

I also know that a lot of meds can be done away with if you made dietary changes. If you can do it that way, you should. But most people don't, won't or simply can't because its severe.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:53 PM

286 posts, read 535,448 times
Does thyroid count?

Old 08-14-2010, 03:31 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
So I asked a bunch of my kung fu brothers and sisters this morning if any of the are on any type of prescription meds, they all said no. Well, except for one girl who asked if her birth control counted.

I thought I was in the minority but I guess I was wrong. Also thought that since this is Hollywood that many of my real life friends would be on them but I was wrong.

Exercise, eating HEALTHY (I cannot stress the word HEALTHY enough) and being active really does help one to be healthy in life.

Old 08-15-2010, 05:27 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,860,472 times
Quote:
So I asked a bunch of my kung fu brothers and sisters this morning if any of the are on any type of prescription meds, they all said no. Well, except for one girl who asked if her birth control counted.

I thought I was in the minority but I guess I was wrong. Also thought that since this is Hollywood that many of my real life friends would be on them but I was wrong.

Exercise, eating HEALTHY (I cannot stress the word HEALTHY enough) and being active really does help one to be healthy in life.
My first response was going to ask if there was another common denominator amongst those you asked...like were they all young & that's why they weren't on meds. But then I remembered reading an article the other night about how such a large percentage of the young generation are on medication particularly behavioral meds. When I lived in a college town I recall standing in line many a times behind college students picking up their Adderall. shocked once at work when several people of all ages started talking and admitting to be on depression meds. Made me wonder if the job was the cause of But if asked would people that only take behavior meds even admit to taking a prescription as they might be afraid your next question would be "what do you take or why"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness