Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 10:04 PM

39 posts, read 120,489 times

Advertisements

Recently I was looking online to find a health club membership. We used to have Ballys where I was a member. It became La Fitness. I just learned about Planet fitness has made its way as a rival to other Fitness centers.

They had offered $19.99 a month, Yearly annual fee 39 dollars
I need to lose weight and get back into my bench press and other weightlifting routines among cardio. I signed up online never being to PF before. But I assumed it could not be that much different than any other place I have been to as far as equipment goes. They have free trainers. I thought this would be great. Why do all other clubs charge for training? Something inside me said “There is a catch somewhere; I am going to find out”
Well I did I meet with the trainer. When he brought me to the bench it was a machine. I said where is the free weight bench for lifting? We don’t have them they said. We don’t want to be responsible this is a safe club. Many could shrug at this idea and just accept what they have. But when you have the heart of the lifter as me you can’t go without the Free weights and the benches. As a matter of fact just the way free weight works on muscles works different than machines do. A lifter needs both free and machines. Planet fitness seems to be geared to the less serious at least of body builders and power lifters. It’s more about cardio fitness and machines.

So I want to ask does anyone else know about Planet fitness. What is your experience? Who would you rate this club compared to other Fitness center of Gyms?

By the way I quit Planet fitness. I am joining La fitness. It cost more but has the stuff I am looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 03:04 AM

52 posts, read 124,411 times
Go with LA Fitness it's a better gym all around

Old 03-15-2013, 03:44 AM

1,855 posts, read 3,609,697 times
Why would you sign up with a gym sight unseen?

Old 03-15-2013, 08:10 AM

793 posts, read 1,419,578 times
Planet fitness is a treadmill farm. It's not the right gym for strength athletes.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:56 AM

71 posts, read 115,782 times
Did you get your money back? You probably don't deserve it back if you quit for a reason that you could have totally avoided.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:06 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,819,357 times
You get what you pay for.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:11 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,475,674 times
Haven't you ever seen a Planet Fitness commercial??? Their main point on their advertising campaign is that it is a place for the average Joe to go work out and that they don't cater to more serious athletes/lifters.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:45 AM

632 posts, read 1,030,651 times
Planet Fitness is about on par with your local Y. Horrible.

But they do have the funniest commercials. Id rather be at a gym with the So Hot girls than at a gym with Martha and Gertrude who stand around all day yapping their mouths while lifting cans of soup and thinking they are getting fit.

Planet Fitness - Hot - YouTube

Seriously, Planet Fitness is a horrible gym. You really do get what you pay for with them.

Old 03-15-2013, 12:43 PM

39 posts, read 120,489 times
I did not see any commercial on TV because I have no vision. I lost it several years ago. So I am not really into TV much. My girlfriend is my vision. As a matter of fact for this reason I did not even know Planet fitness existed until we did a search online.

My weight has gone up really high. Though eating better at home I am still not active enough yet. Plus I have had low self esteem and not motivated. Knowing myself getting fit again would help me to get some of my motivation back because I have been into routines on and off throughout the years since high school.

I admit I took a risk joining this place without even a visit. Yet I have been to several Gyms and fitness centers that include the original 24 hour Nautilus, Gold’s Gym Powerhouse, World’s Gym, 24 hour fitness, Bally’s fitness, and Spectrum is a small chain of workout centers. In every single one of these facilities it would have worked for me since I would be just starting back up. Having the bench the incline is all that I need. Even at the High school gym we had flat bench and incline bench. I did not expect a fitness center so well known and catered throughout the country to not have such equipment. In fact in the advertisements it did say it offered free weights. So you see I would have not cared if it was Gold’s, 24 hour or la fitness just that I could get started again.

Another words I am pretty flexible as long as they have the things in general I need. All these other clubs qualified this. Only Planet Fitness is the only club that proves to be different than anyone I have ever been to. It was low in cost and I wanted to catch their sale. I’ll do well at La Fitness. We spoke to the guy on the phone he told me some of the stuff they have there. The price however was not the greatest. Advertised only at 40 I got it for thirty four a month. I used to have a membership at Bally’s for $25 something. Bally’s is gone. Illinois does not have 24 hour fitness. This basically left me with La fitness. When we get to California I may switch over to 24 hour knowing they have better cost and are open more hours. I’m stuck with planet of La fitness. Don’t know any other less unknown clubs. But something gives me a feeling they would not have what I need.

Some of the guys have mentioned girls at these clubs. Over the years of my memberships more women attend places called fitness. The name Gym scares most women to join as she does not want to be muscular as a man. I never saw it well or fitting to meet women at this place. Some of these women but not all want to the center of attention. They are too focused on their appearance. Please know this was in the days I could formerly see well to know this. Over all the years I have only exchanged a couple of phone numbers never yet to call anyways and to one lady I did like was already in a relationship. I just bet more that half of them are. They already have a boyfriend at home. I did not want to get a bad reputation at the fitness clubs. If I had been interested in one and she said no then later in time I met another and also said she was not available and yet a third. Then people would say look there goes the pervert who keeps picking up on women around here. I don’t want that image. So I have focused on workouts which should be the primary reason to go. As for me in my life is to meet someone in a more peaceful environment where people can relax and talk. There is no showing off either like at the fitness club. You have a chance of meeting a girlfriend at other places and that they take care of themselves physically and most likely will also challenge your thinking. Yet I advise don’t go to any place at all just to meet women. That was the way I used to be. It’s best just to go places or to interact online and meet someone naturally as you find common interests. If you happen to meet her at the fitness club that is ok if that was the way id meant to happen. Going to these places to make it a pick up club or to fantasize is not a true intention for joining these places and is just like joining a Church because your loved one goes and you don’t’ even care about church. You do this for someone else sake if you go Church it is because you believe in God and like the services. If you like workout it fits going to the fitness places. These places were not intended to be the local bar as some like to go to. Use every place for its right purpose and you will receive the best benefits.

Old 03-15-2013, 12:46 PM

1,855 posts, read 3,609,697 times
I didn't realize you cannot see, so I apologize if the phrase I used caused any offense. None intended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DaysJourney View Post
I did not see any commercial on TV because I have no vision. I lost it several years ago. So I am not really into TV much. My girlfriend is my vision. As a matter of fact for this reason I did not even know Planet fitness existed until we did a search online.

My weight has gone up really high. Though eating better at home I am still not active enough yet. Plus I have had low self esteem and not motivated. Knowing myself getting fit again would help me to get some of my motivation back because I have been into routines on and off throughout the years since high school.

I admit I took a risk joining this place without even a visit. Yet I have been to several Gyms and fitness centers that include the original 24 hour Nautilus, Gold’s Gym Powerhouse, World’s Gym, 24 hour fitness, Bally’s fitness, and Spectrum is a small chain of workout centers. In every single one of these facilities it would have worked for me since I would be just starting back up. Having the bench the incline is all that I need. Even at the High school gym we had flat bench and incline bench. I did not expect a fitness center so well known and catered throughout the country to not have such equipment. In fact in the advertisements it did say it offered free weights. So you see I would have not cared if it was Gold’s, 24 hour or la fitness just that I could get started again.

Another words I am pretty flexible as long as they have the things in general I need. All these other clubs qualified this. Only Planet Fitness is the only club that proves to be different than anyone I have ever been to. It was low in cost and I wanted to catch their sale. I’ll do well at La Fitness. We spoke to the guy on the phone he told me some of the stuff they have there. The price however was not the greatest. Advertised only at 40 I got it for thirty four a month. I used to have a membership at Bally’s for $25 something. Bally’s is gone. Illinois does not have 24 hour fitness. This basically left me with La fitness. When we get to California I may switch over to 24 hour knowing they have better cost and are open more hours. I’m stuck with planet of La fitness. Don’t know any other less unknown clubs. But something gives me a feeling they would not have what I need.

Some of the guys have mentioned girls at these clubs. Over the years of my memberships more women attend places called fitness. The name Gym scares most women to join as she does not want to be muscular as a man. I never saw it well or fitting to meet women at this place. Some of these women but not all want to the center of attention. They are too focused on their appearance. Please know this was in the days I could formerly see well to know this. Over all the years I have only exchanged a couple of phone numbers never yet to call anyways and to one lady I did like was already in a relationship. I just bet more that half of them are. They already have a boyfriend at home. I did not want to get a bad reputation at the fitness clubs. If I had been interested in one and she said no then later in time I met another and also said she was not available and yet a third. Then people would say look there goes the pervert who keeps picking up on women around here. I don’t want that image. So I have focused on workouts which should be the primary reason to go. As for me in my life is to meet someone in a more peaceful environment where people can relax and talk. There is no showing off either like at the fitness club. You have a chance of meeting a girlfriend at other places and that they take care of themselves physically and most likely will also challenge your thinking. Yet I advise don’t go to any place at all just to meet women. That was the way I used to be. It’s best just to go places or to interact online and meet someone naturally as you find common interests. If you happen to meet her at the fitness club that is ok if that was the way id meant to happen. Going to these places to make it a pick up club or to fantasize is not a true intention for joining these places and is just like joining a Church because your loved one goes and you don’t’ even care about church. You do this for someone else sake if you go Church it is because you believe in God and like the services. If you like workout it fits going to the fitness places. These places were not intended to be the local bar as some like to go to. Use every place for its right purpose and you will receive the best benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness