Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2010, 10:53 AM

64 posts, read 155,217 times

Advertisements

Hoping a fellow runner out there can give me some wise words !
I just recently got back into running after almost a 5 year break. I'm trying my hardest to ease myself back into it the right way, so it will stick with me for years to come. Previously, I was a smoker...naturally my lungs gave out much sooner than my legs did. Having quit more than 8 months ago, I'm not experiencing any problems breathing through a workout and am able to push myself harder and farther than I ever have.

That said, I'm experiencing this throbbing ache & pulling sensation from the inside of my left thigh, all the way to the inside of my big toe! The throbbing is more intensely focused on my knee. During the run, the ache is very dull but the moment I slow down for a cool down jog, the ache is intense. After almost a month of running under my belt, should this sort of ache still be present?

Any ideas of helpful hints are welcommmme!
Oh, and yes, I do stretch before & after and the majority of my runs have been on a treadmill lately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 06:49 PM

31 posts, read 124,913 times
I've been running for just over a year now, and in that short time, I've had a few running issues to deal with too. Aside from the usual sore muscles, achilles tentonitis and runners knee have been my main issues (so far). Many injuries associated with running can be prevented, and yes, shoes could be the culprit. But consider the other factors too. Overdoing it, or pushing your body too hard will cause problems quickly, even more so if your body isn't used to the running routine yet. When I run, I try not to set my goals by distance, but by time instead. If I run 30 minutes, I might run as little as 2 miles or as much a 4 miles, depending on many factors, but either way, I'm still getting a 30 min. workout. The other thing I found through experience and a little research, was strength training the quad muscles can drastically help matters. Strengthening the quads help balance out the rest of your leg muscles, which helps in keeping your knees and body in better alignment while running. If you do a search on running injuries, you'll find plenty of info. on this stuff. But often times, just taking a few days off makes all the difference.

One thing to keep in mind, is the treadmill you use. Not all are created equal. The one I used to use (years ago) was too short for my stride, so I felt I had to run in an unnatural way just to stay on the thing. Little things like that could trigger pain too, just because your body is moving ways that aren't completely natural. I'm sure treadmills have come a long way since I last used one, so that might not be an issue anymore. But just something to think about.

Happy running.

Old 08-26-2010, 06:49 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,506,161 times
I would guess you have developed some sort of overuse injury-pretty common in running. Also, how old are your shoes? Anything more than 300-400 miles on them and its time to buy new ones.

As flamin-gitaur mentioned, try some exercises to develop the quads....muscle imbalances can also cause these types of problems.

But if I were to bet, I'd say overuse. I don't knowh what your training has been like but when people say things like "I just started running again" and "am able to push myself harder and farther than I ever have" that screams overuse injury to me.

Rx for overuse injuries is the same: RICE....REST, ice, compression, elevation....pay mind to the REST part....no running for a week, maybe two then get back in slowly.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:17 AM

286 posts, read 536,337 times
Go to a reputable running store and get fitted for shoes and expect to pay a good amount; however, your knees and back are worth a lot so don't go cheap.

How much did you run? It's easy to get gung-ho when running and it's easy to get injured if you don't ease into it. Sometimes I overdo it from the love of the sport and my right knee signals me to knock it off. I listen to my body. Please don't overdo it.

Old 09-01-2010, 06:31 PM

541 posts, read 2,140,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykatt View Post
Go to a reputable running store and get fitted for shoes and expect to pay a good amount; however, your knees and back are worth a lot so don't go cheap.

How much did you run? It's easy to get gung-ho when running and it's easy to get injured if you don't ease into it. Sometimes I overdo it from the love of the sport and my right knee signals me to knock it off. I listen to my body. Please don't overdo it.
I second this suggestion! I suffered from a variety of aches and pains for quite a while when I first started running. I finally went and got fitted properly for a pair of shoes, and low and behold, I found out I am a pronator and had been wearing the wrong kind of shoes all along! Since getting properly fitting shoes, I no longer have knee or back pain, no more black toes, calluses or blisters!

Old 09-01-2010, 08:20 PM

8,410 posts, read 39,300,688 times
Go get a MRI and see whats going on with the soft tissue and bone. Take it from there.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:40 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,953,227 times
Another runner here who is voting for the good shoe fitting, rest, ice and slow down the return to running. You'll get there - just take it easy. I can't say enough lovely things about the benefits of icing down anything that is vaguely painful after a run.

Oh - a GREAT BIG congratulations on quitting smoking!!! Strong work!

Old 09-09-2010, 09:30 AM

647 posts, read 2,086,069 times
DottyDo, I am going to sound crazy for this, but have you ever considered running barefoot?

Look into this a little bit and see what you think. I used to have chronic shin and knee problems, but since I've started running with no shoes, all pain is gone. I think my foot, legs, etc. land more correctly without having a padded shoe surface to land on.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:56 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,525,299 times
Sounds like artery disease. Very few running injuries transcend three muscle groups unless you have fallen. Stop running and seek medical treatment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness