Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 03:20 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,676,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSoxFanGoingWest View Post
That's why I wrote that I read "a little" about Murrays...regardless, my point was that "access to the outdoors" doesn't mean they actually are allowed outdoors.
And my point is that the growers are transparent about their farming practices. They deserve to be judged on their own personal merits or lack thereof, not on broad based complaints about USDA terminology.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2010, 04:07 PM

2,409 posts, read 3,041,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
A triathelete does not have the same requirements as a bodybuilder.

I can't think of one successful, competitive bodybuilder who is vegan.

Oh they are out there but like you said "successful" is the key word. Most look like crap. Bill Pearl built his foundation on meat. And most of those guys from that era ate lots of redmeat. I'll never forget Bob Gadja quote............"Nobody builds muscle with motherf#$kin chicken"! LOL. It's true. Beef has lots of natural creatine and B vitamins necessary to fuel muscle growth and recovery. Don't kid yourself........Bil Pearl also gained a lot of muscle from "dabbling" in steroids. aka his Nilevar use he admitted to. It was hardly just "dabbling". And most of these guys are big time liars who underplay the role steroids played in their development.

You can definitely get big off eggs, milk, and whey proteins. But there is nothing like the magic of read meat when it comes to packing on muscle.

Old 10-15-2010, 07:21 AM

1,904 posts, read 3,988,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
And my point is that the growers are transparent about their farming practices. They deserve to be judged on their own personal merits or lack thereof, not on broad based complaints about USDA terminology.
Fair enough. I re-read my post and I was pretty general about the industry. I know there are ethical farmers out there. I see them here in CO. My wife and I toured a couple of farms before we bought our beef/chickens. Prior to my foray into vegetarianism.

Good stuff as usual, Onglet.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSoxFanGoingWest View Post
Fair enough. I re-read my post and I was pretty general about the industry. I know there are ethical farmers out there. I see them here in CO. My wife and I toured a couple of farms before we bought our beef/chickens. Prior to my foray into vegetarianism.

Good stuff as usual, Onglet.
Oh you are in CO -- plenty of great farmers out there, lucky you. If I lived there I'd eat more beef -- good grass fed beef is $15+ a pound (and that's for the cheap cuts!) here in NYC. I very rarely buy it.

Old 10-16-2010, 07:58 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,639,758 times
I sometimes don't eat much meat and there's been times where I've built muscle without it. I mainly used whey and soy proteins, and a bunch of like tofu and soy meals from Whole Foods that are packed with like 20-40 grams of protein.

Old 11-30-2010, 05:56 PM

627 posts, read 1,296,095 times
I believe that Jack LaLanne has been a Vegan since he was in his teens.

This picture is of him in his mid 20's -

http://www.lalannefitness.com/images...in/lalanne.jpg

Old 12-02-2010, 12:34 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensei Han View Post

Lalanne's diet always included fish.

Old 12-02-2010, 02:40 PM

Quote:

False. Why do vegans always play so fast and loose with the facts?

Old 12-03-2010, 01:39 AM

2,409 posts, read 3,041,798 times
Quote:

This is complete bull. Jack LaLanne used to eat raw beef back in the day. Also was a big milk drinker (raw) when he was younger.

Old 12-03-2010, 07:00 AM

610 posts, read 1,295,871 times
If you go lacto-ovo-vegitarian(milk+egg eating vegiatrian), it shouldnt be too hard to get what you need, but if you go completely vegan, it's gonna get tough.
getting 200-250 grams of protein from purely vegitarian foods like nuts, lences, beans etc is gonna require eating freaken mountains of them.

For example if I were to get my daily protein intake from white beans I would have to eat:
Calculation:
Bodymass(BM): 95kg,
Protein intake: 1g/lb of bodyweight.
White beans contain: 5.19 mass% protein.
((((95 kgBM*2.22lb/kg*gTo eat/lb BM)/(5.19g protein))*100gbeans)/1000g/kg)*2.22lb/kg=a whopping 9 lbs of beans! No thank you.
I know this looks messy, but it's because I can't index letters.

Last edited by sportsgeek20; 12-03-2010 at 07:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness