Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 02:29 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,676,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Oh please, it's not like I don't weigh things. This person had also done some VERY GOOD things, so I overlooked something material. This person was with me the day I put my dog to sleep. See how the uninformed feel so free to criticize? No one is all good or bad. At some points the scales tip, however.

Oh, and you might just want to proof your posts before posting. Unless of course you think "an" is an acceptable word for "than."
You posted about it, so I commented. If you don't want any comments about something, don't post it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2010, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Well, sorry to disappoint, but I've never done meth or crack, so I wouldn't know. I don't move in those worlds. Sounds like you've had more contact with them than me. What does this say about YOU?!
Let me break it down for you, I'll simplify my point:

You defend your drug addiction by saying that we are all going to die anyway, may as well live or else we have to avoid cell phones, airplanes, cars, and any number of other things which may kill us.

Illegal drug addicts say the same thing about their drug addiction.

It's a silly argument that they make, and it is a silly argument that you have made.

You are a drug addict who is advancing the drug addict argument on a thread filled with non-addicts. Therefore your argument is never going to fly. We aren't addicts, we know better than to delude ourselves the way you insist on doing.

Old 10-23-2010, 06:26 PM

5,546 posts, read 10,001,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
You posted about it, so I commented. If you don't want any comments about something, don't post it.
Hello. I never said I didn't want your comments, however, one must realize that the whole story never comes through on an Internet forum.

Old 10-23-2010, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Let me break it down for you, I'll simplify my point:

You defend your drug addiction by saying that we are all going to die anyway, may as well live or else we have to avoid cell phones, airplanes, cars, and any number of other things which may kill us.

Illegal drug addicts say the same thing about their drug addiction.

It's a silly argument that they make, and it is a silly argument that you have made.

You are a drug addict who is advancing the drug addict argument on a thread filled with non-addicts. Therefore your argument is never going to fly. We aren't addicts, we know better than to delude ourselves the way you insist on doing.
Well, good on you for not having a chemistry that gets addicted. My guess is you were born with the right level of neurotransmitters to start with (no reflection on you, just good genes). Not everyone is so fortunate.

In life, there are people who get physical illnesses, mental illnesses and I tend to think of addiction as a mental illness (a deficiency in neurotransmitters). Were this not the case, you wouldn't see drugs like Chantix work.

No need for judgment or nastiness. Thank your lucky stars.

Old 10-23-2010, 06:50 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,250,583 times
Quote:
Please don't speak for all of us. I am a non-judgemental person and believe that if someone wishes to smoke it is of no concern to me. I don't like it - therefore I don't do it. It's really not a hard concept. If I don't want to be near it - then I make it my business to not be near it. As long as it's still legal, then it is my responsibility to remove myself from a situation that makes me uncomfortable. Personal responsibility is the key. I don't feel that the world is mine and mine alone and that others should conform to my way of thinking. But that's just me ....

Mistygirl, while I hope that you can quit for your own sake and your own health, please do not feel that all non-smokers have a nasty disposition towards smokers - well at least not this one.

Old 10-23-2010, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halo_in_reverse View Post
Please don't speak for all of us. I am a non-judgemental person and believe that if someone wishes to smoke it is of no concern to me. I don't like it - therefore I don't do it. It's really not a hard concept. If I don't want to be near it - then I make it my business to not be near it. As long as it's still legal, then it is my responsibility to remove myself from a situation that makes me uncomfortable. Personal responsibility is the key. I don't feel that the world is mine and mine alone and that others should conform to my way of thinking. But that's just me ....

Mistygirl, while I hope that you can quit for your own sake and your own health, please do not feel that all non-smokers have a nasty disposition towards smokers - well at least not this one.
Thanks, Halo. I do want to quit. At the same time, I deserve an honorary doctorate in brain physiology and chemical imbalances. I can't fault these people for not understanding. They simply have not done the research and, maybe, it's easier to just be judgmental. I've dealt in this area my ENTIRE life. One has to be invested to do the research and most don't have a reason.

I don't take it personally, anymore than I take it personally I didn't end up with MS or some other dreadful malady. It is what it is. I'm a better person for recognizing this. Thanks for posting.

Old 10-23-2010, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Well, good on you for not having a chemistry that gets addicted. My guess is you were born with the right level of neurotransmitters to start with (no reflection on you, just good genes). Not everyone is so fortunate.

In life, there are people who get physical illnesses, mental illnesses and I tend to think of addiction as a mental illness (a deficiency in neurotransmitters). Were this not the case, you wouldn't see drugs like Chantix work.

No need for judgment or nastiness. Thank your lucky stars.
I smoked 2 packs a day for almost 20 years. Being addicted to cigarettes doesn't mean you have to be deluded.

Old 10-23-2010, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halo_in_reverse View Post

...and you are on this thread why?

Smoking stinks and it harms people around you. That's the thread topic. You can try to mend mistgirl's broken wing all you want, but the topic stands and it is legit.

Old 10-23-2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:
I smoked 2 packs a day for almost 20 years. Being addicted to cigarettes doesn't mean you have to be deluded.
And I quit for 15 years. And your point is?

I am not deluded. You just seem to lack a fundamental understanding of neurochemistry.

For example, did you know the incidence of smoking among schizophrenics is sky high? Apparently, this compensates for something in their brain.

I saw your thread in another forum. Maybe your deal is sex, but it sure isn't mine. Again, a chemical reaction. Look at yourself before you go casting stones.

Old 10-23-2010, 08:00 PM

Quote:
...and you are on this thread why?

Smoking stinks and it harms people around you. That's the thread topic. You can try to mend mistgirl's broken wing all you want, but the topic stands and it is legit.
Sure, it's legit, but I am not exactly a proponent of your behavior either. So get off your high horse. STDs ARE communicable. And much worse than an occasional whiff of second hand smoke. And I quote you...
Quote:
PS, I really like sex so I'm going to keep having it regardless.
Yeah, that's real smart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness