Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 07:02 PM

1,855 posts, read 3,611,663 times

Advertisements

I see a lot of joggers in the streets who are just shuffling along at a snail's pace. A lot of them actually look in real pain. I've known people who do this in the past, and these guys were actually injured-knees, joints, spine, whatever. Yet they insist on 'running', for cardio they say. But I have to think any cardio benefits are few to none, because they can't be getting their heart rates up sufficiently at that slow a pace, and any cardio benefits will be outweighed by the damage they are doing to themselves. So why don't these people do low impact cardio that would really benefit them--the elliptical, spin classes, anything. Why do people insist on running when they no longer can?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 07:14 PM

41,974 posts, read 75,239,807 times
I'm sure there are a variety of reasons, none of which are anyone's business but their own.

Old 07-06-2013, 07:20 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,351,403 times
shuffling/walking is free and doesn't require machines?

"run when you can, walk if you have to, crawl if you must, just never give up"

Old 07-06-2013, 08:19 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,675,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post
I see a lot of joggers in the streets who are just shuffling along at a snail's pace. A lot of them actually look in real pain. I've known people who do this in the past, and these guys were actually injured-knees, joints, spine, whatever. Yet they insist on 'running', for cardio they say. But I have to think any cardio benefits are few to none, because they can't be getting their heart rates up sufficiently at that slow a pace, and any cardio benefits will be outweighed by the damage they are doing to themselves. So why don't these people do low impact cardio that would really benefit them--the elliptical, spin classes, anything. Why do people insist on running when they no longer can?
Did you ever consider that everyone has to start somewhere? Many of these people have not done anything for years and have become overweight and out of shape. It is extremely difficult to start exercising when you are older, out of shape and overweight. In fact, you don't have to be older, the same is true of many current high school students. Many of them are in no better shape than the people you are describing. The difference is they haven't realized there problem yet.

Give these shufflers credit, they deserve it for trying. The hardest part is getting out the door and taking the first step.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:28 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,498,749 times
I think for people who has a hard time running walking is a great start. I am pregnant now and cannot run like I use to. Im only 15 weeks but I feel big as hell and running is killing me. So I just walk. When I walk I walk for at least 1-2.5 hours straight every time.
When I ran before I was pregnant I only ran for 45 min to an hour. So the amount of calories burned were about the same. I love walking.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:30 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,273,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post

Smart people who acknowledge their inability to run don't run and don't injure themselves and find a different exercise to put into their workout.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:31 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,498,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Did you ever consider that everyone has to start somewhere? Many of these people have not done anything for years and have become overweight and out of shape. It is extremely difficult to start exercising when you are older, out of shape and overweight. In fact, you don't have to be older, the same is true of many current high school students. Many of them are in no better shape than the people you are describing. The difference is they haven't realized there problem yet.

Give these shufflers credit, they deserve it for trying. The hardest part is getting out the door and taking the first step.

My hubby is considered obese but he has lately lost alot of weight and he is still going. We walk everyday together. But every once in a while he jogs for smaller distances. He probably look the way the OP describes but he used to be a great runner about 10 years ago when he was in the Army, and wants to get back to the shape he was in.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:31 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,947,551 times
If you have enough time to judge others on how they exercise, shouldn't YOU be running faster? At least these people are off their butts and doing something. We all have to build up to certain levels, and frankly, you have no idea if these people are in pain unless you ask them. Have you ever watched a race? Look at the faces of the competitors. Whether the fastest or the slowest, no one looks like they are having a tremendous amount of fun. Stop looking at other people and focus on your workout.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:13 PM

1,855 posts, read 3,611,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Smart people who acknowledge their inability to run don't run and don't injure themselves and find a different exercise to put into their workout.
I can't speak to the shufflers I see in my neighborhood sometimes, but as for the people I know personally who do this, it's not that they are not smart, because they are, but more that they're stubborn. As for me, I am one of those who can't run, and so I don't. Rather than hobble along doing something of little to no cardio benefit, I have found low impact alternatives that get me to the desired intensity level. -70 lbs. later, I think I can claim a modest bit of success. The shufflers I've known claim to want to lose weight, but they never do. But they're still out there running every day...

Old 07-06-2013, 09:16 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times
Because they've had it impressed upon them that any activity is better than no activity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness