Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 04:48 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,232,094 times

Advertisements

So many reasons.

- They like being outside
- They have to start somewhere
- They are deconditioned/injured former 'good' runners
- They think you need to run to lose weight/get fit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 07:24 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,188,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post
I see a lot of joggers in the streets who are just shuffling along at a snail's pace. A lot of them actually look in real pain. I've known people who do this in the past, and these guys were actually injured-knees, joints, spine, whatever. Yet they insist on 'running', for cardio they say. But I have to think any cardio benefits are few to none, because they can't be getting their heart rates up sufficiently at that slow a pace, and any cardio benefits will be outweighed by the damage they are doing to themselves. So why don't these people do low impact cardio that would really benefit them--the elliptical, spin classes, anything. Why do people insist on running when they no longer can?
I live in an area with many seniors. I'm sure they run(?) for the cardio benefits some are a little pathetic as they struggle along.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:51 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,723,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
I live in an area with many seniors. I'm sure they run(?) for the cardio benefits some are a little pathetic as they struggle along.
Really? Pathetic? It's pretty clear, from some of the posts on here, that some people are really pathetic. I'm not talking about those poor souls out there getting exercise, either. I'm talking about the people who have nothing better with their time, than to perch on their high horses, making fun of people are are clearly trying. The cruelty of some people just astounds me. The fact that some people feel so much better about themselves, when they're judging others as inferior to them?....now THAT'S pathetic.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:25 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,188,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Really? Pathetic? It's pretty clear, from some of the posts on here, that some people are really pathetic. I'm not talking about those poor souls out there getting exercise, either. I'm talking about the people who have nothing better with their time, than to perch on their high horses, making fun of people are are clearly trying. The cruelty of some people just astounds me. The fact that some people feel so much better about themselves, when they're judging others as inferior to them?....now THAT'S pathetic.

Not judging others Simply stating a fact.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:11 AM

6,459 posts, read 7,795,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Your research conflicts with my research. That is precisely what we were designed to do. That was precisely our evolutionary advantage that caused us to survive until and while we figured out how to use our thumbs and our brains to make tools. Our legs muscles make excellent shock absorbers!
Evolutionary advantage? RUnning? Umm, no that wasn't our advantage. Our advantage were our brains. We were never good runners relative to predators - and we're still not. And besides that, we weren't designed to run as we run today - not anywhere close to it. And even more besides that again, our legs aren't really great shock absorbers, again not in the way we use them to run today. Look at all the articles and on line threads dedicated to shin splints and other injuries. You don't see that same amount of injury information for low impact activities.

I use a HRM for cycling in a different way than for running but just for comparison purposes, if I go out and run for 3 or 4 hrs in zone 3-4 and some forays into 5 for a minute here and there you better believe my muscles, hips, knees, ankles, whatever, will ache the next day. Very badly. If I do the same in cycling the only thing that'll ache would be my muscles, a nice ache.

I am really confused by all the people who actually challenge that when you are old, running is usually not the best form of cardio activity. It's not an insult, it's just something that's plain to see. I don't think older people should do a funnel either, and they shouldn't eat pizza and hot wings every night, and they shouldn't go out to dance clubs and stay out until 4am, and they shouldn't drive (too far! just joking on that one).

Running is not an older person's sport, that's all. It's not meant to disparage those who are up there in age - all respect to them.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:23 AM

6,459 posts, read 7,795,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
I'm not talking about those poor souls out there getting exercise, either. I'm talking about the people who have nothing better with their time, than to perch on their high horses, making fun of people are are clearly trying. The cruelty of some people just astounds me. The fact that some people feel so much better about themselves, when they're judging others as inferior to them?....now THAT'S pathetic.
They are probably getting as much of a benefit getting ready to go for a run than they do on the run. That's not an insult, I truly mean it.

I am perched very low on my horse. Matter of fact, I can't even afford a horse! Nobody is making fun and although I didn't go through and dissect each and every post, I didn't see any thatwere cruel or judgemental. There are opinions however and thoughts that a different activity may be better, very different than saying that older people should not exercise. And I also didn't notice any posts saying or implying anything about inferiority.

I think you are getting offended about and reading things into the posts that weren't meant. Says more about you than the anything else. No offense, just calls 'em like I sees 'em.

Old 07-14-2013, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
They are probably getting as much of a benefit getting ready to go for a run than they do on the run. That's not an insult, I truly mean it.

I am perched very low on my horse. Matter of fact, I can't even afford a horse! Nobody is making fun and although I didn't go through and dissect each and every post, I didn't see any thatwere cruel or judgemental. There are opinions however and thoughts that a different activity may be better, very different than saying that older people should not exercise. And I also didn't notice any posts saying or implying anything about inferiority.

I think you are getting offended about and reading things into the posts that weren't meant. Says more about you than the anything else. No offense, just calls 'em like I sees 'em.
Of course you didn't see any posts that were cruel or judgemental. It doesn't make one bit of difference whether these people could or should be doing a different form of exercise. They WANT to run. That is not for you or anyone else to judge. That is what floats their boats and is an exercise that they want do. Leave it at that, because it's really no one else's business. I wonder just how many people out there are getting no exercise, because others have undermined their confidence with negative statements.

As a nurse, I say, "MOVE....just MOVE. Get some exercise and f**k anyone who has negative comments to make in regard to your physical condition or your exercise choice. The point is to keep moving!

Old 07-14-2013, 07:41 PM

326 posts, read 704,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Evolutionary advantage? RUnning? Umm, no that wasn't our advantage. Our advantage were our brains. We were never good runners relative to predators - and we're still not. And besides that, we weren't designed to run as we run today - not anywhere close to it. And even more besides that again, our legs aren't really great shock absorbers, again not in the way we use them to run today. Look at all the articles and on line threads dedicated to shin splints and other injuries. You don't see that same amount of injury information for low impact activities.
I think some would argue persistence hunting guided much of our evolution still I completely agree with what you are saying. I thinking going hand and hand with keeping active for health is avoiding injury. With over 250,000 ACL surgeries every year I believe people need to be careful in the activities they choose. Does this mean don't run? Not at all, but maybe it means don't get up off of laying on the couch for a year and run.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:41 PM

1,855 posts, read 3,609,697 times
Saw yet another neighborhood shuffler lurching painfully down the street today. You attaboys can rah-rah these guys all you want, but if it's improved cardio fitness they're after, an elliptical, spinning class or jacob's ladder will get them there in a much better, and sounder orthopedic manner.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:26 AM

I know some people who would "physically" be better off, if they chose an indoor activity for their exercise, but then....that would put them indoors, around other people. Many of the people you see running (obviously, because you're SEEING them) are outdoors and alone. That should tell you something right there.

Their running is clearly a more "holistic" approach to exercise. It is clearly not just filling the need to "exercise". They may be fulfilling more than just their need to get a good cardio workout.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness