Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 03:26 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,026,589 times

Advertisements

Hey y'all, I have decided that I am going to train to do a 5k marathon. I'm fairly new at running but have been a little inconsistent in the past. But now I want to commit to training & running a 5k next fall (hopefully).

I only have 1 pair of beat up Skechers that I've had for like 5 years & I need some new sneakers. Can anyone recommend a good pair? I like the Reebok EasyTones but I don't think those are good for running? (I believe..)

I also know & love Nike shoes for running. Can anyone recommend a good brand of jogging/running shoe that won't tear up my feet? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2010, 03:39 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
New Balance WR1906 White/Silver/Blue - Zappos.com Free Shipping BOTH Ways

I like the New Balance shoes, your feet won't feel a thing. These are the new pricey ones, but I have the less expensive ones. They can be a bit heavy though. You might want to look at the Saucony, or Nike Air.

Old 11-12-2010, 03:41 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,945,093 times
What exactly is a 5k marathon? A marathon is 26 miles, 5k is....... well......5k or just over 3 miles.

Dont run in those old Sketchers. Find a dedicated running store near wear you live and go try on a few pairs. Or, if worst comes to worst, you can go into any Sport Chalet or Dicks Sporting Goods and get a pair of Nike Shox running shoes. I prefer running in Nikes because of the iPod sensors. Other good pairs are Saucony and Brooks.

Old 11-12-2010, 03:58 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,666,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post
Hey y'all, I have decided that I am going to train to do a 5k marathon. I'm fairly new at running but have been a little inconsistent in the past. But now I want to commit to training & running a 5k next fall (hopefully).

I only have 1 pair of beat up Skechers that I've had for like 5 years & I need some new sneakers. Can anyone recommend a good pair? I like the Reebok EasyTones but I don't think those are good for running? (I believe..)

I also know & love Nike shoes for running. Can anyone recommend a good brand of jogging/running shoe that won't tear up my feet? Thanks!
Which one is it 5k or the marathon. Any old running shoe can withstand a 5k. You can probably get one for 30 bucks. I've always liked asics(for training). YOu are supposed to replace them every 500 miles at most(but who's going to replace shoes every 3 months, not me lol I just waited until they started falling apart). If you are training for the whole year you might consider racing shoes(flats or spikes depending on the course surface) if you are more just running for the experience you can run in your training shoes

Old 11-12-2010, 04:55 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,026,589 times
Sorry for the confusion y'all, I meant a 5k.

Old 11-12-2010, 05:29 PM

610 posts, read 1,295,349 times
for 5k(as in kilometers) you could go with duck-tape-enhanced-flip-flops and still make it,
for a comfortable ride, any training shoe other than ice-skates should do the trick.
Otherwise nike pegasus has evolved through 25 years and pretty much kicks ass for about 100€ (120 US~?) feels like bouncing around on the moon or something, had 11 generations of these since I was a kid and I still love em.

good luck

Old 11-12-2010, 09:07 PM

56 posts, read 153,027 times
I agree with the other posters...any shoe should do for a 5k...BUT if you're going to be doing any sort of training for the 5k and want to continue running and enjoy it (and possibly sign up for future races)...then go to your local running store and have them check you for the right shoe. The shoes mentioned are all great, but if you're neutral and people are recommending a shoe where you over pronate then it won't be the right shoe for you. I like Runner's Roost and Boulder Running Company if they have them in your area. They will tape you running on a treadmill for a few minutes and can best determine the type of shoe you need for running. Then they'll bring out a few pairs and you can try on and see what is the best fit for you.

Old 11-13-2010, 04:40 AM

610 posts, read 1,295,349 times
Quote:
Some ways to train for the 5k;
If you have trouble finishing, you can alternate between
running at desired speed as far as possible and then briskly walk the rest or
running at a speed you are very sure you'll be able to finish with and increase the tempo a little each time you run.

If you are already running it and want to be able to run it faster you could alternate your 5k sessions with interwall training, since this will train your heart more efficiently aswell as improve your max speed, and in the wider perspective also you general speed/effort ratio, leading to a faster 5k.

For me it's always motivating to strive to get better, this is really what keeps me going in one way or another in all sports activities. For this reason I think you should strive for getting a better time on whatever lengh you run, because you'll be chasing to beat your old record all the time, and everytime you do it feels great!

Old 11-15-2010, 05:34 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,221,568 times
Quote:

As others have mentioned...get some running shoes.

Doesn't matter which brand, we all have our preferences.

One other point, if you really want to run a 5K, it won't take a year to get ready. You could easily run one this winter or spring. If you are in reasonably good health and shape you can get in shape to run a 5K in about 12 weeks.

Old 11-16-2010, 12:53 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,099,131 times
Quote:

I'm confused: "5K Marathon?" Umm..a marathon is 26.2 miles, while a 5K is only 3.1 miles. I'm guessing you're gonna run the 5K, so the answer to your question is: don't fall into the marketing ploy that says you need $100 running shoes. A ton of recent research has indicated that over-padded and over-stabilizing shoes may actually contribute to running injuries, as they tempt us to strike our heel down unnaturally hard, thus detracting us from our natural running style that or skeletal system is meant for: running on the forefoot and balls of the foot. Indeed, the new trend in running shoes is now what we call "minimalist" design, like the Nike Free and the Vibram 5 Fingers.
Having said that: don't run out and buy these new light shoes for your race. They take some weening into. Hell, 5K is nuthin'--just buy another pair of Sketchers. Last month I ran a personal best 10K in a pair of three year-old $50 Asics Gels. I run about 600 miles a year so those babies had some miles on 'em, and I felt great.
Also..I wouldn't pee on Nike if it were on fire. Read the great book "Born to Run" if you wanna learn how Nike has manipulated the shoe market and lied to runners for the past 25 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness