Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 12:01 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,073,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
You're not alone. I'm a male and pull-ups are my Kryptonite. I've gotten better at every exercise but pull-ups. Stuff that I could barely do when I started, like diamond pushups and plange pushups, I'm doing well now. But I have noticed almost no improvement in pullups. I've tried doing negatives, using the chair, using bands...blah blah. Nothing. It's frustrating to go through the routine and knock out 30 reps during the pushups, then struggle like a fool to do 2 pullups.

And I can't stand when Tony says during the pullups "Where'd gravity go? Feels like we're on the moon!". lol **** Tony, I feel gravity! I feel like I'm trying to pull up 500lbs.
THANK YOU for sharing in my struggle and humiliation!

My husband can do 5-6 of each kind and he keeps telling me "just keep using the chair" but the problem is it's very hard to keep the "help" consistent with the use of the chair. Did I just displace 50lbs? Maybe 100lbs? It's not measurable and I think that's why it bothers me.

Can you do the dive-bombers? I struggled to get more than 3-4 of those in the beginning. I could do face, chest and when I get to hips I REALLY had to push through otherwise I collapse! I can do a few more now but I do them the "girly" way and don't reverse the dive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 06:40 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
Have you thought of getting some "assistance bands" from a fitness retailer? They're just big rubber bands that you can loop over the bar and under your knees (assuming you're using the doorway chin-up bar) and they provide lift assistance. Similar to those assisted pull-up machines in the gym.

Just a thought. A company called Rogue Fitness sells them: Iron Woody Bands

Good luck! I struggle with pull-ups, as well. Been working on them all summer and I'm at about 10 consecutive pull-ups. That's it. I've read that a good way to improve on pull-ups is to do them 2+ times per week. Throw them in during another workout where they are perscribed.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:35 AM

Okay! Figured it out!

I had to move my pull-up bar to a different doorway across the house, but now it works so much better. Just have to hit pause so I can do mine and come back and not miss the next exercise in the video. I had the chair too close under me but I couldn't move it further out because of the location of the doorway.

Now that the chair is out further I can definitely feel the pull-up more!

Old 02-03-2011, 11:42 AM

624 posts, read 1,072,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
Okay, strong words but OMG, I do love to hate that video!

I "currently struggle with" pull-ups and I tried the chair method, but I think I rely too much on the chair, but without the chair I can't even do ONE, so pathetic

I have bands so I tossed one over the pull-up bar and did those but then I feel like I could go longer than the alloted time before I have muscle failure. I am using the band with the most tension and I'm far enough back. I guess I should just hit pause and keep going?

Does anyone have any tips for the pull-ups or other exercises I can do between videos to help me gain the strength to do them? I really want to be able to do a few before the 90 days is up (more like 100 days for me...had to take a break for medical reasons after the first week and I may need another medical break next week).

This is where I wish I had the assisted pull-up machine that my old gym had. I loved that machine because I could "do" the pull-ups to my ability and change the amount of weight I had to off-set.
do negative pull up. That's where you either jump or stand on a chair, then bend your knees so you are no longer supporting yourself but try to hold your position (full pull up) as long as you can. This works the same muscles that are normally used to get you to a chin up on a pull up.

Try this for a few minutes and before long, you'll be able to do 1 full pull up. Once you start with one, you can do one every minute or so, and before long, you'll be able to do a few in a set.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
do negative pull up. That's where you either jump or stand on a chair, then bend your knees so you are no longer supporting yourself but try to hold your position (full pull up) as long as you can. This works the same muscles that are normally used to get you to a chin up on a pull up.

Try this for a few minutes and before long, you'll be able to do 1 full pull up. Once you start with one, you can do one every minute or so, and before long, you'll be able to do a few in a set.
Hey thanks!

I'll work on those too. I have always been able to do anything I set out to do. I will NOT let these darn pull-ups defeat me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness