Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 04:04 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times

Advertisements

Alright, boys, when I run, I always use Reebok's zigtech shoes coz it gives my legs the least pain.

But I saw a dude in the gym today running for a long time with just a vibram five fingers on. I'm betting it must be feeling really good.

I am thinking of getting one. Anyone ever tried it on here? LaoTzu??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 02:49 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,001,935 times
Are those the things that make your feet look like monkey toes?

I saw a guy wearing them downtown the other day and they are hideous. Wouldn't your foot have to be rather average to fit into them? What if you have wide or extra skinny feet, longer or fatter toes? Does the material between the toes irritate the skin?

Things that make you go HMMMM...

Old 09-20-2010, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
Are those the things that make your feet look like monkey toes?

I saw a guy wearing them downtown the other day and they are hideous. Wouldn't your foot have to be rather average to fit into them? What if you have wide or extra skinny feet, longer or fatter toes? Does the material between the toes irritate the skin?

Things that make you go HMMMM...
I found a pair in a weird shop called Charlotte running company. Nobody else even has them. I didn't know they were European and so much in demand.

I have a 7 day store credit thing. He asked me to jog on the treadmill 2 or 3 days and return it if my leg gets too sore.

I'm gonna test fire it tonight. But I didn't find nice ones like in the website. It's a boring all black five finger. If it's a good fit, I'll return this and order the same sized one off the website.

This should revolutionize my running

Old 09-20-2010, 07:47 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,501,601 times
I ran a 10K yesterday and saw maybe a half-dozen people wearing them. My wife told me that the guy who took 5-6 place (overall) wasn't wearing ANY shoes. He feet were really slapping the asphalt on that final push to the finish line.

There has been some other discussion/debates in CD Exercise/Fitness forum on barefoot running/vibram five-fingers that you might want to check out.

The long story short is that you should take it REAL easy and let your body/form adapt to the barefoot running. Yes, we as a species have evolved to walk/run barefoot, but as individuals in today's society we have spend our entire lives wearing shoes and our bodies have adapted to it. It take time/training to change/detrain from that.

Good luck!

Old 09-20-2010, 05:35 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Alright, boys, when I run, I always use Reebok's zigtech shoes coz it gives my legs the least pain.

But I saw a dude in the gym today running for a long time with just a vibram five fingers on. I'm betting it must be feeling really good.

Vibram Five Fingers are GREAT!!! I have yet to get my own, but I tried a pair for a week from one of my buddies and they are fantastic.

I didnt do any serious running in them, but did do a couple of 5ks and a lot of kung fu and weights.

I cant remember which ones they were, but for what I do - mostly running and Crossfit, it looks like the KSOs, KSO Treks, or Bikalas are what I need.

Old 09-25-2010, 06:52 PM

I think I've found my tool to total fitness

Running on the mill with my five fingers, a killer work out. I am pretty sure I am not burning as many cals as in the gauntlet or the AMT, but the sweat is enormous. Sweat is good.

It looks like this thing was made to run. It's a work of art

Every muscle in my lower body is sore, even the gluteus.

Old 09-25-2010, 07:55 PM

363 posts, read 2,019,960 times
I've read so much good about them. They are ugly in a cute kinda way. Still, I am anxiously waiting to spluge on a pair... They will be my next gift to myself! broadbill (above) was informative... It is suggested to begin slowly in order to get your body acclimated to them. When I run barefoot on the treadmill, my stride seems more natural then wearing running shoes outside... I am hoping the Vibram Five Fingers can make the outdoor running- pure perfection- Natural running in a natural setting!

Old 09-26-2010, 01:46 PM

I still have 3 hours left to return. I'm thinking if I can return it and get this stylish one.

Vibram FiveFingers Men's KSO | TheShoeMart

The one I have now is black and dull.

Old 09-26-2010, 02:04 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,950,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post

I've started running with them. I like it. You may have some back and ankle pain initially, but that went away quickly for me. I would start with short runs until you get used to them. Running with them will strengthen some muscles that you don't work with running shoes. They've helped with mt plantar fasciitis.

Old 09-26-2010, 02:31 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
My son and DIL, both runners and fitness maniacs wear theirs all the time. They're also great for watersports, like kayaking etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness