Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The best lift for size and strength is
Dead Lifts rule 7 24.14%
Squats are king 16 55.17%
Bench press for sure 2 6.90%
Others....I will say which in my post 4 13.79%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 06:27 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,535,895 times

Advertisements

Deadlifts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 06:47 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,120,348 times
Why not all 3? Squat, bench & deadlift is the foundation for total size and strength. Most of the pros and gym vets will tell you this You really shouldn't have any knee/joint pain doing squats unless your form is off. I do my squats at medium width so as to target my quads/buttocks in addition to my legs. You want to go as low as possible, preferably below parallel for max benefit.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:09 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,535,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthsideJacksonville View Post
Why not all 3? Squat, bench & deadlift is the foundation for total size and strength. Most of the pros and gym vets will tell you this You really shouldn't have any knee/joint pain doing squats unless your form is off. I do my squats at medium width so as to target my quads/buttocks in addition to my legs. You want to go as low as possible, preferably below parallel for max benefit.

Depends what your goals are. Some people find that cleans and snatches are better for overall strength than squats and bench. Although I'm sure if you were mainly asking powerlifters you would get the DL-S-B response.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:56 AM

968 posts, read 2,589,330 times
no mention of pull ups?

you can't just pick a lift thats best. A good balanced lifting routine is needed for total body strength and size.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:15 AM

2,362 posts, read 2,996,482 times
Love all three, but squats are my favorite exercise for improving overall strength. Squats have helped improve my bench press, deadlift, and just about everything else. I use my legs more than ever when doing "push" exercises like bench/incline/decline press.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:21 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,630,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Have you tried front squats, instead of back squats, TX?
Yes, but still creates neck issues, I guess because the weight is still transferred through the upper spine. Same thing, I can front squat 185 with minimal issues, but more than that starts hurting the neck. Fortunately, my legs respond well to weights, so even without barbell squats my legs are very proportionate to my upper body.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:36 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crustedfilth View Post
no mention of pull ups?

you can't just pick a lift thats best. A good balanced lifting routine is needed for total body strength and size.

FWIW, I don't think the OP was planning on doing only a single movement. I just think he wanted everyone's take on the best one.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:04 AM

3,337 posts, read 7,120,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
Depends what your goals are. Some people find that cleans and snatches are better for overall strength than squats and bench. Although I'm sure if you were mainly asking powerlifters you would get the DL-S-B response.
In a way you're right on snatches/c&j. In high school, bench and clean and jerk are the two lifts that are used in weightlifting meets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacific Swell View Post
Love all three, but squats are my favorite exercise for improving overall strength. Squats have helped improve my bench press, deadlift, and just about everything else. I use my legs more than ever when doing "push" exercises like bench/incline/decline press.
True If you have good lower body strength, it transfers to increased deadlifts because with deadlifts, you're lifting with your legs.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:10 PM

11 posts, read 44,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHAdams View Post
I suspect its the clean and jerk. That lift is not for most people and I purposely left it out as an option.

Squats are awesome. Deads are better. Thats my 02.
May I throw in a vote for the clean and jerk as well? Also I like the often overlooked, one arm dumbell press.

Old 03-09-2011, 03:49 PM

541 posts, read 1,902,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
i voted squats, but it's been a while since i've done either. i never enjoyed squats, but i REALLY hated dead lifts. good lord.

it seems like your technique must be perfect for either of these exercises, or else you'll start to really hurt. dead lift technique was always difficult for me, and that factors into my decision to say that squats are better, because they seem much easier to do correctly.
If you can do the squat properly then you should be able to deadlift properly. A huge portion of proper form on both lifts is keeping your back straight. If you're doubting your form on the deadlift you might want to pay attention to your form on squat too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness