Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 06:02 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,644,814 times

Advertisements

Do you train to failure with weights? Why or why not?

I almost never go to failure and when I do it is not on purpose, it is because I miscalculated how much or how many reps I could do. Seems to work so much better for me than when I used to train to failure.

For me, I've found that doing multiple sets of lower reps with explosive lifting and perfect form is the key.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 10:27 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,108,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
Do you train to failure with weights? Why or why not?

I almost never go to failure and when I do it is not on purpose, it is because I miscalculated how much or how many reps I could do. Seems to work so much better for me than when I used to train to failure.

For me, I've found that doing multiple sets of lower reps with explosive lifting and perfect form is the key.
Nah, there ain't no reason to train to failure with resistance training (weights) unless you're aiming for a certain goal, like trying to be able to lift a certain amount of weight. Or if you're a competing athlete who absolutely needs every bit of raw strength you can attain.
For Joe Lunchbox, or the recreational jock who just wants to stay toned and look good and keep his weight in check, doing mor reps with lighter weights is the way to go: you meet every need you want and you save your joints a ton of stress; they'll thank you later, trust me.
Some of the muscle heads on this forum are gonna bash this post, but I stand by it. I've been doing the light-weight/more reps deal for several years now, and as a 40-something I can hang with just about any 20-something power lifter in cardio, endurance, speedwork, and even maximum amount of light-weight reps, like, say, doing the most 40-lb curls. The only thing they can beat me in as in lifting the most weight. But really, who gives a hoot?
How are these guys gonna look when they're 46? How're those joints gonna be feeling?

Old 03-06-2011, 03:38 AM

610 posts, read 1,297,106 times
I think it's good to go to failure every once in a while to let the muscles know there aint no relaxing.

Especially if i'm at a plateu. then a couple of failures will make things move again.

Unlike drummerboy I like going heavier with few reps mostly, but I will concede to that it is nicer to your joints to go for more reps instead.
The good thing about more reps is that you can get closer to your failingpoint without actually failing.

Old 03-06-2011, 10:17 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,801,295 times
i had a discussion about this issue not too long ago on a bodybuilding forum. i wish i had gotten more peoples opinions because ive never considered not lifting until failure. it just always felt right to lift until i cant lift anymore. but the guy on the other side of the discussion has enough credentials that i couldnt just say "look at me and look at you, i win." i guess it can work out fine either way because i am generally happy with my gym accomplishments.

Old 03-06-2011, 12:38 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,130,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
Nah, there ain't no reason to train to failure with resistance training (weights) unless you're aiming for a certain goal, like trying to be able to lift a certain amount of weight. Or if you're a competing athlete who absolutely needs every bit of raw strength you can attain.
For Joe Lunchbox, or the recreational jock who just wants to stay toned and look good and keep his weight in check, doing mor reps with lighter weights is the way to go: you meet every need you want and you save your joints a ton of stress; they'll thank you later, trust me.
Some of the muscle heads on this forum are gonna bash this post, but I stand by it. I've been doing the light-weight/more reps deal for several years now, and as a 40-something I can hang with just about any 20-something power lifter in cardio, endurance, speedwork, and even maximum amount of light-weight reps, like, say, doing the most 40-lb curls. The only thing they can beat me in as in lifting the most weight. But really, who gives a hoot?
How are these guys gonna look when they're 46? How're those joints gonna be feeling?
Unlike you, some of us actually like to challenge ourselves in the gym by training to failure with weights. Conventional wisdom will say that for strength/size, you lift heavy with fewer reps (which I agree with) but if you want that extra growth, try to do additional reps with a spotter (if necessary). This way, you're pushing yourself past your limits which will actually make your joints stronger, provided you have CORRECT FORM. If you take calcium/multi-vitamin (which I do) for bone and joint health and eat right, combined with a moderately intense (depending on what you're going for) regimen, your joints/bones will definitely thank you. So keep on with your mediocre training regimen and results, while those of us who go hard day in and out in the gym actually reap the benefits of our hard work.

Old 03-06-2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthsideJacksonville View Post
Unlike you, some of us actually like to challenge ourselves in the gym by training to failure with weights.
Who says NOT training to failure isn't challenging?

A set/rep scheme can be extremely challenging and push one beyond their limits without training to failure. I realize that training to failure seems to work well for some people and I don't see anything wrong with doing it for those that prefer it. But its pretty easy to push oneself just as hard and make gains without going to failure or using a spotter to do forced reps.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:41 PM

968 posts, read 2,592,538 times
I think some are confused about failure

Failure is the inability to perform a lift with proper form. This means cheating, using momentum etc. So yes I train to failure.

Failure is not simply the inability to lift the weight.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:56 PM

Well, failure I guess could be defined a few different ways. I was specifically speaking of lifting until unable to complete another rep, complete failure.

Old 03-06-2011, 11:08 PM

968 posts, read 2,592,538 times
Quote:
Well, failure I guess could be defined a few different ways. I was specifically speaking of lifting until unable to complete another rep, complete failure.
hope you don't hurt yourself.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:26 AM

610 posts, read 1,297,106 times
Quote:
This is how I define failure aswell,
"training until it's to heavy to do right" means losing concentration when it gets heavy. that's another deal, at which point I also agree it's time to end the set.

By by this definition of failure I think you understand why I only throw it in every once in a while, because doing so continuously will be destructive in the long run.

Going until failure should be a shock for the muscles that you use every once in a while when your muscles think they've can halt their progress without askin'...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness