Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 04:36 PM

3,085 posts, read 7,257,857 times

Advertisements

Big Corporate Gyms = the 1990s

Yoga/Pilates = the 2000s

Ballet Workouts
= the NOW??

If this is actual fact, does Natalie Portman's performance in "Black Swan" have something to do with this?

how are you ladies staying fit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 09:10 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,091,726 times
Ballet is AWESOME for toning and muscle strength.

When I was younger I took ballet and pointe and taught classes as well. I was in the studio 2-3 hours a day about 4 days a week and I was so fit (sad that back then I still thought I was fat).

I have since hung up the pointe shoes...maybe I need to take them out and dust them off.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:14 AM

41,995 posts, read 75,304,387 times
Ballet is a great addition to a fitness plan. You're really aware of every muscle and bone in your body -- especially posture -- as you chassez about.

Just don't eat like a ballerina -- I've never seen such horrible nutrition than I have amongst ballet dancers. They live on sugar, caffeine and cigarettes, believe it or not.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:22 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,985,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
Are Ballet Workouts the new way women are staying fit?
No. I dont think so. I am pretty up to the minute on what is popular in terms of health and fitness, especially excercise. After all, I live in Los Angeles which is pretty much the health/fitness/exercise capital of the country and am quite involved myself. Havent heard anything about ballet workouts being anything remotely near "popular". There are a couple of cardio barre schools locally that do somewhat well. CARDIO BARRE® This is the closest thing Ive seen to actual "ballet" workouts though. Even though the classes are crowded (with really hot chicks btw), they still pale in comparison in terms of numbers and popularity of regular gyms like Equinox, 24Hr Fitness, LA Fitness, etc.

Quote:
If this is actual fact, does Natalie Portman's performance in "Black Swan" have something to do with this?

how are you ladies staying fit?
As I have mentioned above, it is NOT ACTUAL FACT. Its far from it. If you read anything about what Portman did for that role, you would know that she actually starved herself (which is one of the many reasons why she won Oscar). You can see that she was NOT fit/healthy in that movie.

How are most of the women I know staying fit? Well, the majority of the women I know are either dancers (wife is a dancer), involved in martial arts, or pursuing careers in acting (or all of the above). The dancers are almost all heavily involved in yoga (6-8hrs per week); the martial artists women are almost all avid runners; and the actresses do all of the above with quite a few in CrossFit. Also, just about every woman I know is a member of a gym with 24Hr Fitness being the most popular followed by Equinox (which is my favorite big box gym). They both offer a huge amount of different classes and no one I know attends (or have heard of) any ballet specific classes at these gyms.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:51 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,742,740 times
Quote:
Big Corporate Gyms = the 1990s

Yoga/Pilates = the 2000s

Ballet Workouts
= the NOW??

From what I've seen, ballet classes for beginner adults are too easy to accomplish much. Ballet is difficult and requires more dedication and training than a typical mom can give. Very few ballet schools seem to have adult classes for those who move up in ability. Unless you are born with natural turn out and flexible feet, or perhaps have the time to spend time every day in class AND stretch at home, if you begin as an adult you are probably going to do badly. It's like gymnastics ... you don't hear about a lot of adult women deciding they are going to backflip their way to fitness. You have to start young or not bother, really. Ballet is simply too exacting to come in and play at it for 45 minutes a week.

Don't get me wrong: if a woman likes ballet and wants to try it, she should go for it. But not to get in shape. The hard stuff that makes those ballerina bodies takes hours a day for years.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:08 AM

41,995 posts, read 75,304,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
From what I've seen, ballet classes for beginner adults are too easy to accomplish much. Ballet is difficult and requires more dedication and training than a typical mom can give.
It is not in the realm of possibility to suggest that taking a ballet class once a week will turn you into Mia Slavenska, or that it'll even get you into a pair of pointe shoes.

What it will do is provide a different focus on your body and how it works, strengthen some muscles and elongate others, improve your posture, etc. (it's not necessary to squeeze your feet into toe shoes to accomplish this). And it is possible to use ballet to enhance your fitness, all within the confines of a one-hour weekly class, in conjunction with other fitness routines.

Colleges are a good place to look for affordable adult ballet classes; most ballet schools also offer them. When I took beginning ballet in college, there were a variety of people in there, from one of the school's elderly professors to male soccer players (who were way fun to watch! ).

Old 05-16-2011, 12:06 PM

2,444 posts, read 3,587,490 times
What's new about them? ballet have probably been around longer than your country have had its constitution...

Old 05-16-2011, 07:22 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,328,800 times
I think barre workouts are probably good for building strength in certain muscle groups and for improving balance and posture, but that's about it. You can accomplish that through pilates and it's easier to find pilates classes, but I'm also all for variety in workouts to avoid boredom. I do barre workouts from time to time just to change things up, but they're not going to burn calories like an hour of cardio will.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:50 AM

2,444 posts, read 3,587,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I think barre workouts are probably good for building strength in certain muscle groups and for improving balance and posture, but that's about it. You can accomplish that through pilates and it's easier to find pilates classes, but I'm also all for variety in workouts to avoid boredom. I do barre workouts from time to time just to change things up, but they're not going to burn calories like an hour of cardio will.
Depends on how intense the ballet is and how intense the cardio is.

Old 05-17-2011, 06:39 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,722,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Ballet is a great addition to a fitness plan. You're really aware of every muscle and bone in your body -- especially posture -- as you chassez about.

Just don't eat like a ballerina -- I've never seen such horrible nutrition than I have amongst ballet dancers. They live on sugar, caffeine and cigarettes, believe it or not.
Untrue. You have to eat well to dance well.

Diet Of A Ballerina | LIVESTRONG.COM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness