Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2011, 07:47 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,985,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cats-r-us View Post
I always find it a little creepy when one member decides to audit another member's posting history so they can point out things they've said in the past. It's like watching Meet the Press.

"And on July 20th, 2011 you advised someone to eat a 1500 calorie donut burger. How do you defend that, Sir??"

Sorry ... but you have been a member here how long?

People DO find the need to refer back to other member's older posts (I myself do it), because some thread topics often turn into debates, and sometimes you need to show that what a member you are debating said in the past is different from what they are stating in the current thread.

Old 08-07-2011, 11:21 PM

1,349 posts, read 663,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post

People DO find the need to refer back to other member's older posts (I myself do it), because some thread topics often turn into debates, and sometimes you need to show that what a member you are debating said in the past is different from what they are stating in the current thread.
Errrr in my defense, the burger post had only been posted a couple of days before i mentionned it, so was way after this thread even started, and as I had intervened here to offer advice, I was startled, that's all. No way I'd go back in time to put a person in an akward situation, what's the point of that? I certainly wouldn't want that for myself

But was clumsy about it, I get it

And yes, such a burger sounds an aberration to me, and first in terms of tastes, not even health. But hey, to each his own.

Just that a healthy eating mind set is first that, a mind set. One doesn't achieve their goals unless they truly understand and feel what good food is (and no, it doesn't have to be bland, nor does it have to be greasy or sugary). I love food way too much to imagine what torture it must be to try and lose weight all the while hating what you eat to do that.

I can't imagine how that would work.

It's definitely hard to express yourself on such delicate matters when it's not your original language

Old 08-08-2011, 05:39 AM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
I eat good food, not into cakes, fried chicken or bacon maybe once every 3 months, some times it's been a year since I ate a fast food burger. I found out through a swallow test that I empty my tummy out very fast, so I am hungry like a baby, every two hours. I have pre-diabetes, so the fruits turn into sugar quick and I try to stick to whole grains and truvia, and lo cal stuff, veggies and yougurts etc., but its all day long. I bought some trail mix dried fruits,,, OMG the hunger dissapeared in 2 min with just a few bites, but now trying to lower my sugar levels that have me dizzy.

Old 08-08-2011, 06:46 AM

97 posts, read 210,639 times
Quote:

I've been a member for quite awhile actually, and a lurker for even longer. You and I have had many discussions.

But look at you proving my point by checking my stats - nice job!

Last edited by cats-r-us; 08-08-2011 at 06:48 AM.. Reason: sp

Old 08-08-2011, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personne View Post
Errrr in my defense, the burger post had only been posted a couple of days before i mentionned it, so was way after this thread even started, and as I had intervened here to offer advice, I was startled, that's all. No way I'd go back in time to put a person in an akward situation, what's the point of that? I certainly wouldn't want that for myself

But was clumsy about it, I get it

And yes, such a burger sounds an aberration to me, and first in terms of tastes, not even health. But hey, to each his own.

Just that a healthy eating mind set is first that, a mind set. One doesn't achieve their goals unless they truly understand and feel what good food is (and no, it doesn't have to be bland, nor does it have to be greasy or sugary). I love food way too much to imagine what torture it must be to try and lose weight all the while hating what you eat to do that.

I can't imagine how that would work.

It's definitely hard to express yourself on such delicate matters when it's not your original language
Personne, my post wasn't directed at you. No need to apologize to me.

And I fully agree with your comment about healthy eating being a "mind set".

I'm guessing your comment about "hating what you eat" goes back to my argument about treating food as "fuel for your body".

I do treat my food as fuel, and by no means "hate" what I eat. I actually enjoy all of my food choices.

I just gave up eating all foods that I know are unhealthy, such as all fast food (McDonalds, Burger King, etc), cakes, pies, pastries, candy, soda, fried foods, etc., and have become accustomed to eating only healthy foods, like chicken breast, tuna, turkey breast, cottage cheese, yogurt, skim milk, peanut butter, almonds, fruit and vegetables, whole grain breads, pasta and cereals.

My meals are delicious. I just had dinner of 4oz of grilled chicken breast cooked with red and green bell peppers, onions, and a tablespoon of pasta sauce, and it was very tasty. Since I just came from a workout at the gym, I also had 4oz of fat free cottage cheese, 2 egg whites, and 4oz of skim milk to get extra protein. Total calories of my above dinner was less than 300. In a few hours I will have a salad made from Romaine lettuce, red & green peppers, cucumbers, onions, carrots, tomato, and 2 tbsp of fat free dressing. Total calories around 100. A very delicious meal to finish the day.

So my concept of "food as fuel" is not meant to cause people to eat bland food. It is as you said, to change their "mindset" so they don't over eat. They need to be conscience of how many calories their food contains, and how many calories they should limit themselves to in a single day. What foods they choose to eat is to make up these total daily calories is completely up to them, as long as they stick with reasonably healthy choices.

Last edited by RD5050; 08-08-2011 at 07:08 PM..

Old 08-08-2011, 07:04 PM

Quote:
I've been a member for quite awhile actually, and a lurker for even longer. You and I have had many discussions.

But look at you proving my point by checking my stats - nice job!
I checked your stats (join date/number of posts) because you seemed to be a bit "too new" here to be judging other members.

So obviously you had a different member name in the past, because I have never had discussions with you as cats-r-us prior to this thread. Are you trying to be "mysterious" with your new member name, or would you like to share your previous name so we all know who you are?

I completely stand by my comment that it is acceptable to point back to a members previous posts if the thread topic turns into a debate.

And checking peoples stats is also very common practice. Just because you don't agree with this practice doesn't make you "right" and everyone else "wrong".

Old 08-08-2011, 09:56 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,739,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personne View Post
Of course

It's just that this is soooooooooooooooooo far from anything that I can even imagine that would be unhealthy food, I was wondering how to introduce you to classic fresh food.

And it kind of tickled me that you'd encourage someone to eat that.

(not even mentonning - oh yes I am - how it must taste )
I've had them a state fairs and I made them at home one time. It tasted like heaven, if you want extra sweetness just add ketchup.
I love junk food, and we almost never ate vegetables. Back then I could only eat vegetables that were cooked with butter or some type of meat. I always added salt to my food, because I wanted to taste flavor and I don;t like plain food. Now I just cook the vegetables like for today I had some boiled baby carrots. Where they good? No. Lately i am getting tired of drinking water and I still do miss sodas, but I am making the choice to eat healthier and I know this will pay off in the long run. I was also tempted with pies and fried chicken, but I fought through my temptation and ate my carrots and baked chicken breast.

I don't care if people look at my posting history, I have nothing to hide.

Last edited by TreasuredJewel; 08-08-2011 at 10:05 PM..

Old 08-08-2011, 11:39 PM

97 posts, read 210,639 times
Quote:
I checked your stats (join date/number of posts) because you seemed to be a bit "too new" here to be judging other members.

So obviously you had a different member name in the past, because I have never had discussions with you as cats-r-us prior to this thread. Are you trying to be "mysterious" with your new member name, or would you like to share your previous name so we all know who you are?

I completely stand by my comment that it is acceptable to point back to a members previous posts if the thread topic turns into a debate.

And checking peoples stats is also very common practice. Just because you don't agree with this practice doesn't make you "right" and everyone else "wrong".
So my number of posts makes my opinions less important, but your number of posts makes your opinions more important? Am I not cool enough to sit at your lunch table?

(I like how you put quotes around "right" and "wrong" as if you're quoting me saying that, which never happened.)

I'm not trying to be mysterious about who I am (who knew I was such an enigma! ), and the purpose of my new ID is fairly boring, but the idea that you think I should have to explain anything about myself to you is kind of funny. This isn't YOUR website.

And by the way, what if I was brand new to the site? What if it just found it yesterday and started posting? Why does it matter to you? If you're part of the welcoming committee for new members, I think you need to get another job.

Old 08-09-2011, 06:24 AM

Quote:
So my number of posts makes my opinions less important, but your number of posts makes your opinions more important? Am I not cool enough to sit at your lunch table?

(I like how you put quotes around "right" and "wrong" as if you're quoting me saying that, which never happened.)

I'm not trying to be mysterious about who I am (who knew I was such an enigma! ), and the purpose of my new ID is fairly boring, but the idea that you think I should have to explain anything about myself to you is kind of funny. This isn't YOUR website.

And by the way, what if I was brand new to the site? What if it just found it yesterday and started posting? Why does it matter to you? If you're part of the welcoming committee for new members, I think you need to get another job.
Everyone is entitled to have opinions. But new members should at least have participated long enough to understand why members quote older posts before judging the practice as being "wrong".

It has nothing to do with being "cool enough", as you put it. It has to do with having enough knowledge on a subject (in this case - forum etiquette) before forming an opinion, and new members would likely not have read enough threads to understand why this practice is very commonly used by many members, including myself.

Apparently you feel the need to hide yourself from your former member name, otherwise you'd gladly share it, so we'd all know who we were communicating with.

As for me, RD5050 has been my member name since I first joined back in 2007.

Old 08-09-2011, 06:58 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,452,624 times
Quote:
Everyone is entitled to have opinions. But new members should at least have participated long enough to understand why members quote older posts before judging the practice as being "wrong".

It has nothing to do with being "cool enough", as you put it. It has to do with having enough knowledge on a subject (in this case - forum etiquette) before forming an opinion, and new members would likely not have read enough threads to understand why this practice is very commonly used by many members, including myself.

Apparently you feel the need to hide yourself from your former member name, otherwise you'd gladly share it, so we'd all know who we were communicating with.

As for me, RD5050 has been my member name since I first joined back in 2007.
We were all newbies on here at one point. Newbies can "judge" whoever they want as long as it doesn't violate the TOS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.