Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2011, 02:19 PM

120 posts, read 313,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by personne View Post
Ahem, it doesn't mean I agree with your way of telling her to wire her mouth, ok? I don't. Nothing to gain for anyone by being that agressive to someone, except maybe a feeling of smugness (right word? not sure.. again english isn't my first language).

But I do agree with the fact that TJ is lying to herself. BUT not as much as others since she HAS begun the first step : recognition. If that was what you meant?
C'mon, read her very first post. You think I said what I did to be mean spirited ? She's desperate. Granted, having your teeth wired shut is drastic, so is stomach stapling. If she doesn't get a handle on her weight problem that might become her only option. She's 18 and need to lose 100 pounds. What she needs is professional help in modifying her eating habits. She needs aggressive therapy. It's easier to draw the wrong conclusions on the internet rather than a face to face conversation. You calling me smug is way off the mark my friend. I have not resorted to name calling here. There's no reason for personal attacks here.

Old 08-29-2011, 02:20 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
thats actually not really true. she went to an internet forum so she can pretend she is doing something to try to lose weight. not to actually do something to lose weight.

lets be realistic, everyone knows how to lose weight. but if you dont really want to make that effort, you ask questions and pretend to be ignorant.
Perhaps the whole thread was written not by an 18 year old girl living on a farm in Alabama who wants to lose weight but by a 36 year old skinny surfer dude in California. Maybe our responses will be the subject of his sociology PHD thesis.

But what if TJ is exactly who she says she is? What if she is not pretending to be ignorant about good nutrition? What if she really is an overweight 18 year old girl in a very unsupportive overweight family?

Do you really do anything to help if you tell her she will never be able to lose weight? It may be your personal opinion, but does it help anyone?

Do you tell her to get her teeth wired? Does it help anyone?

I prefer to think TJ is just who she says she is. And I prefer to think she is learning things here that will help her lose weight.

Old 08-29-2011, 02:24 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,739,792 times
Everyone asking for an update, I just weighed myself I am 271lbs. I am not happy with my results, but I will admit I have done some things that I was not supposed to do.

Old 08-29-2011, 02:27 PM

2,035 posts, read 3,351,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
See, this is where you are saying correlation=causation, and that is wrong.

Of COURSE the "scientific community" doesn't want you to see a connection, they make MONEY ( and TONS of it), by formulating those things. They don't wanna loose their cash cow. Just ask Monsanto about that....
True, true!!

There is a correlation - and also one that is causing young girls to reach puberty at a much younger age, more and more often (which will end up being ALL the time). ie: homones! (duh?!)

Believe what you want - the diet industry is a multi-billion dollar one... and will stay that way if the usual diet mindset continues.

Old 08-29-2011, 02:31 PM

1,349 posts, read 663,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by come_back_kid View Post
C'mon, read her very first post. You think I said what I did to be mean spirited ? She's desperate. Granted, having your teeth wired shut is drastic, so is stomach stapling. If she doesn't get a handle on her weight problem that might become her only option. She's 18 and need to lose 100 pounds. What she needs is professional help in modifying her eating habits. She needs aggressive therapy. It's easier to draw the wrong conclusions on the internet rather than a face to face conversation. You calling me smug is way off the mark my friend. I have not resorted to name calling here. There's no reason for personal attacks here.
I hear you, but no need to write that type of advice except to vent, no?

And whatever you think, there is still someone as in "human being" on the hearing end. Internet forums were and never will be a therapy (nor a way to complain ad lib, I agree)

Sorry for smug, not sure it was the right word as I said. I hope i'm clearer now.

Old 08-29-2011, 02:35 PM

1,349 posts, read 663,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
Everyone asking for an update, I just weighed myself I am 271lbs. I am not happy with my results, but I will admit I have done some things that I was not supposed to do.
Have you managed to get support from your family? In the buying of food or cooking?

Old 08-29-2011, 02:36 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I prefer to think TJ is just who she says she is. And I prefer to think she is learning things here that will help her lose weight.
i believe she is who she says she is. i think she is kidding herself, not us.

Old 08-29-2011, 02:51 PM

97 posts, read 210,639 times
Speaking as someone who knows how to lose weight and doesn't do it, if I had no knowledge at all about this stuff, I would be SO confused by everyone's conflicting advice. Eat this, don't eat that, cut out this, add that, make sure it's organic, drink diet soda, avoid diet soda, etc. I feel for her!

Old 08-29-2011, 02:53 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
It looks to me like you have lost about 14 pounds since you started this thread on June 7. I think that is commendable, and I think it proves that those who are saying you cannot do it are wrong.

It is good that you realize that you have done some things that you need to correct. Just fix them. If you need specific suggestions, let us know.

You were planning to travel, I think. How did that go? How did you handle eating on the trip and while you were away? Many people gain weight on vacation, so you did well if you did not do so.

Perhaps you need to reconsider what to do for exercise. I live in North Georgia, and I suspect it has been just as hot where you are as it is here. But the weather should improve soon. Consider getting outdoors to exercise. It's a lot less boring than the treadmill. Walk briskly. Ride a bike. Invite someone to walk or ride with you. Are there chores you could do outside to burn up a few calories? You need to chane your attitude about sweat! Sweat is good! It means your body is burning calories!

Keep tracking your calories and watch the sodium. Keep looking for new foods and recipes to try. It wouldn't hurt to try to get your family on board with new things, too. If they aren't interested, so be it.

Do not give up! I want to be able to cheer when you tell us you are off your blood pressure medication!

Old 08-29-2011, 02:55 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cats-r-us View Post
Speaking as someone who knows how to lose weight and doesn't do it, if I had no knowledge at all about this stuff, I would be SO confused by everyone's conflicting advice. Eat this, don't eat that, cut out this, add that, make sure it's organic, drink diet soda, avoid diet soda, etc. I feel for her!
you are very kind and i understand your point, but im pretty sure she knew when she was gobbling down those big macs, french fries and mountain dews that she wasnt eating health food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness