Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 06:23 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,986,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
ive always made small adjustments to my diet over time to get a desired effect. i guess the fact that i eat pretty much the same thing 5 days a week makes that pretty easy. if i want to cut down a bit, ill drop one thing or make things smaller. just little adjustments over time. im never looking to do anything drastic, im in this for the long term so there are no emergencies.

i just did a little math and figure my daily calories m - f is about 2080. im 5'8 and weigh about 180. i actually had my test numbers handy now i cant find them. i remember the total cholesterol was 128. triglicerydes i think was 60 something.
My waist is currently 31" and still dropping. Had been as high as 34" when I was a little overweight. I've lost around 20lbs during the past 6 months, which averages to just under 1lb per week.

The 1700 cals food I provided in my previous post link is basically what I eat every day, with just slight variations, such as sometimes I have pasta for dinner, other times 4oz cooked chicken breast. Sometimes I'll have a tuna sandwich for breakfast if I need to take breakfast with me, and other times a just bowl of whole grain cereal + fruit when I'm eating at home.

What foods make up your typical 2080 cals?

Last edited by RD5050; 06-23-2011 at 06:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 06:51 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,986,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmateo View Post
I used a calorie calculator (Calorie Counter, Android App) to get to the 2600. Just to verify, I used the one you mention above, put in all my info, and it came up with 2538.23. (Very close). One distiction is that it said that is to maintain, not to loose. My recent move has been to step down to 2300, with a goal to step again to get to around 2000Kcal per day. That, according to your link, should put me at a pound per week, which would be stellar.

Thanks for your feedback. Very helpful. 1500-1800 might be too low for me, but the concept is correct. For me, it's probably more like 1800-2100.

My activity i smostly focused around cycling. 2 hours of intense cycling, 3x per week on average. Sometimes more, sometimes less. Plus I do other stuff, but that is my "organized exercise" activity.
The same website has a link for "Calories Burned" during various activites including cycling. At 163lbs, 120 minutes, you burn 1,565 cals at 14-16mph.

It also mentions that 1 pound of fat = 3,500 cals. So you can probably compute the rest to figure how many calories you can eat to burn a pound a week, with your 3 times a week bicycling.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:12 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
My waist is currently 31" and still dropping. Had been as high as 34" when I was a little overweight. I've lost around 20lbs during the past 6 months, which averages to just under 1lb per week.

The 1700 cals food I provided in my previous post link is basically what I eat every day, with just slight variations, such as sometimes I have pasta for dinner, other times 4oz cooked chicken breast. Sometimes I'll have a tuna sandwich for breakfast if I need to take breakfast with me, and other times a just bowl of whole grain cereal + fruit when I'm eating at home.

What foods make up your typical 2080 cals?
i was just responding to bmateos post and i guess yours suggesting he wants to lose weight. i think its easy to just take what you have and cut little things or a thing here and there. just keeps it simple and helps you control what will work for you.

my diet is the following:
7:30am - 1 cups oats with 2 packets splenda & cinnamon and splash of skim milk, 1 scoop muscle milk with a little caffeine powder, 1 tablespoon psyllium husk, multi vitamin, vitamin c, vitamin d3

11:30am - 1 peanut butter and jelly sandwich

1:45pm - 1.5 scoops whey isolate with 1 tablespoon cappuccino powder (sugar) (pwo)

3:30pm - 1 peanut butter and jelly sandwich

6:30 pm - 1 peanut butter and jelly sandwich, 1 scoop psyllium husk

8:30 pm - bowl of cereal with skim milk

Old 06-24-2011, 01:13 PM

2,406 posts, read 7,904,087 times
Do you seriously eat like this every day?
I eat some of those things but still have more variety. No eggs, fish, (I already know not to ask about vegetables), olive oil, different variety of nuts, etc? Variety is important.

Quote:
i was just responding to bmateos post and i guess yours suggesting he wants to lose weight. i think its easy to just take what you have and cut little things or a thing here and there. just keeps it simple and helps you control what will work for you.

my diet is the following:
7:30am - 1 cups oats with 2 packets splenda & cinnamon and splash of skim milk, 1 scoop muscle milk with a little caffeine powder, 1 tablespoon psyllium husk, multi vitamin, vitamin c, vitamin d3

11:30am - 1 peanut butter and jelly sandwich

1:45pm - 1.5 scoops whey isolate with 1 tablespoon cappuccino powder (sugar) (pwo)

3:30pm - 1 peanut butter and jelly sandwich

6:30 pm - 1 peanut butter and jelly sandwich, 1 scoop psyllium husk

8:30 pm - bowl of cereal with skim milk

Old 06-24-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davachka View Post
Do you seriously eat like this every day?
I eat some of those things but still have more variety. No eggs, fish, (I already know not to ask about vegetables), olive oil, different variety of nuts, etc? Variety is important.
thats monday - friday with sometimes a different dinner on friday. i happen to love vegetables along with almost every other food, but i like to keep it simple.

on weekends i will usually go out for 2-3 meals so i get some nice variety there. variety is nice, but i dont need it.

Old 06-24-2011, 01:25 PM

2,406 posts, read 7,904,087 times
Gotchya. That makes more sense.

Quote:
thats monday - friday with sometimes a different dinner on friday. i happen to love vegetables along with almost every other food, but i like to keep it simple.

on weekends i will usually go out for 2-3 meals so i get some nice variety there. variety is nice, but i dont need it.

Old 06-24-2011, 07:51 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,257,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davachka View Post
Gotchya. That makes more sense.
Not to me.

Old 06-24-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Not to me.

thats because you are singularly focused on being anti-carbs. the reality is that there is more than one way to diet that will help someone reach their goals. my diet works for me and would work for others, but there are other diets people can use and be successful with. your belief that carbs are the devil and somehow additionally trigger some kind of eating frenzy seems quite silly to me but if its working for you and you are happy, then by all means stick to it.

Old 06-25-2011, 12:54 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,257,288 times
Quote:
thats because you are singularly focused on being anti-carbs. the reality is that there is more than one way to diet that will help someone reach their goals. my diet works for me and would work for others, but there are other diets people can use and be successful with..
I do agree with that as a long time ago I had a phenomenal run with a strange combo of slim-fast shakes and a Pritikin diet. My staple then was turkey sandwiches with lettuce and tomato (no mayo). I guess it all comes down to whatever you can do to make calories burned exceed calories consumed over the required period of time.

Old 06-25-2011, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I guess it all comes down to whatever you can do to make calories burned exceed calories consumed over the required period of time.
now we are talking!

my 3 peanut butter and jelly sandwiches is probably something ive been doing 6ish months now. they replaced 2 meals: 8oz grilled chicken breast in a 110 calorie wrap with mustard & dinner which was 8oz grilled chicken breast with a handful of pasta and little tomato sauce. i probably would be a bit leaner on that diet but it was much harder to stick with as i had extreme hunger issues (which sometimes caused unexpected meals). the pb&j diet is getting me progressively leaner over time and i have very little hunger issues. its more sustainable over the long term for me and they are soooooo delicious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness