Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 05:21 PM

948 posts, read 3,356,136 times

Advertisements

I got tennis likely due to overworking the arms and I think I sleep with my arms bent and that aggravated some nerve or tendon. I had been on a killer trend with my push ups and pull ups and now I have had to cut back severely due to pain. I've got an appointment with a physical therapist tomorrow, but I'm looking for anyone who has gotten through tennis elbow and was able to resume their workout. Anyone?....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 05:33 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
I have it from the type of work I used to do. For pushups I have learned not to come up full lock, I just come up about 3/4 the way and then go back down. It seems to not bother my elbows as much.

Old 11-26-2012, 06:27 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,356,787 times
The cure for any kind of tendinitis is rest, then gradual rebuilding. You will get over it if you rest.

Old 11-26-2012, 06:35 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,161,809 times
I never completely got over mine ..... it would feel better after a long time of not using the elbow, but then immediately would come back when I played some tennis. Fortunately it was tolerable, not excruciating.

From what I understand, the only way to completely deal with it is to get cortisone shots in the joint every few months.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:59 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,840,768 times
I've been limiting my weight lifting routine by avoiding movement that hurts (mine was not from playing tennis, but overuse at work, and possibly too heavy of weights at the gym). I'm gradually building up strength again, and finally doing those same exercises that initially, post-injury, I could not do. Recently I started doing self-myofascial release, and it helps a lot!! I found a fantastic resource with written instruction and videos to show me exactly what to do. Network Fitness | Bringing It All Together -- SMR, Functional Movement, Products & Education

Old 11-27-2012, 12:56 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,356,787 times
Also think about muscle imbalance. If you add a wider variety of exercise, you can strengthen complementary muscles and connective tissue, so that so much stress is not put on one particular area.

But I think you have to rest it first, to allow it to heal, before you can rebuild.

Old 11-27-2012, 01:01 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,047,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatergirl View Post
I got tennis likely due to overworking the arms and I think I sleep with my arms bent and that aggravated some nerve or tendon. I had been on a killer trend with my push ups and pull ups and now I have had to cut back severely due to pain. I've got an appointment with a physical therapist tomorrow, but I'm looking for anyone who has gotten through tennis elbow and was able to resume their workout. Anyone?....
Cold and compression.

I couldn't get rid of mine for three months....therapist three times a week, x-rays, ultra sound, etc.

Then I went online and saw compression and cold.

I couldn't even have a catch with my daughter because the pain from the ball hitting my glove radiated up my arm.

Frozen bag of peas for 1/2 hour twice a day and sleep with a compression bandage.

In three days it was gone!

No pain, no more swelling.

Whenever it acts up, which is infrequently, I repeat what I did. It has never gotten painful again. It has been five years.

Old 11-27-2012, 01:31 PM

3,972 posts, read 5,165,715 times
Pick up an ACE Compression bandage. They work great and cost less than $10. I blew out my elbow years ago doing heavy clean and presses. It ached for months. I started using the compression bandage and it healed up quickly. I wore it for a few hours in the day and all night too.

Once the pain goes away, start back into your workouts slow and light. Get the blood flowing around the elbow again and slowly work your way back to where you were before. Also be sure to work any muscles around it like the biceps, triceps and forearms. Strengthening those muscles will help protect your elbow from further injury.

Old 11-27-2012, 03:22 PM

948 posts, read 3,356,136 times
Default Physical therapy apt. today

I have tendinitis and bursitis in both elbows. He did use the electric thingee machine with the probes that stick on you with ice and that was heaven. He also used an ultrasound machine with some gel and rubbed that on each area for about 5 minutes. That didn't really feel like much, but he said to use ice and recommended omega 3 oils (which I've already been taking) as they are a good anti-inflammatory as well as vit. D and Calcium to equal parts magnesium. I could stand to up my vit. D and calcium but will look for ways to eat more foods with the omega's.

I know many recommended ice, but I have been doing the ice and actually sleep with a hard big blue ice pack to lay my arm on when it hurts in the middle of the night.

Has anyone used Motrin with noticeable success?

Also, could someone please suggest alternative upper arm exercises that won't strain the elbow tendons? I typically have done: pull ups, push ups with the yoga ball and medicine ball and tricep push ups, tricep pull downs with rope and v bar.
Also, I don't believe I need to strengthen my arms anymore; they're actually pretty ripped, so lack of strength is not the issue. I have some ace bandages that I will dig out of the closet and put on. Didn't think of that.

Thanks for all the replies!

Old 11-30-2012, 01:25 PM

510 posts, read 888,934 times
There is a product that utilizes rubberbands to ilosate each finger and exercise it in an opening motion. Similarly, you can just wrap rubberbands around your finger tips and try to open your hand. The old school method was to put your hand in a bucket filled with sand and attempt to open and close your hand. I have found these exercises to be helpful. The theory is that grip strength is disproportionate to the opening/extensor strentgh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness