Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 11:15 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Worry more about how you look and feel and less about the number on the scales.
Sound advice for someone who has a healthy body image. I truly hope I'm wrong but have some doubts about whether the OP is such a person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 12:18 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
If you are willing to put the work in, you could do the Body for Life program and in 12 weeks look totally toned and fit. The program is 3 days per week of weight training and 3 days cardio, plus a diet of 6 small meals per day that consist of a protein and a healthy carb (the amounts are supposed to be approximately balanced, like 20 grams of protein and 20 grams of carbs).

The book has been around for awhile so you could get it out of the library or buy it cheap used.

For inspiration photos, go to the "Body for Life Tracker" (google it) and click on top 20 of all time.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:46 PM

142 posts, read 186,771 times
the best and most liberating thing i ever did when it comes to fitness/diet et all.....was forget the scale, forget the bmi stuff. forget age too, you can be fit and youthful and attractive at any age.

to give you a bit of perspective, i'll play the game too. here's me, i'm 5'5, 45 years old. ok so......guess how much i weigh.

yes admittedly, i'm quite proud of this, but i think i have the right to pat myself on the back a little. i was 30 lbs overweight last november. got here by being absolutely religious about cutting sugar out of my diet, no more than 20 grams of sugar max per day, less if i can manage it. believe it or not, i still eat about the same number of calories i did before, cutting hidden sugar out of my diet was absolutely KEY to getting rid of cravings, the urge to nibble was completely gone within days of being vigilant about sugar. no processed foods, that includes margarine and salad dressings. switched to butter and make my own dressings with oil, vinegar and sunflower seeds. i eat eggs most every day, and occasionally even bacon. lots of tuna. lots of skinless chicken breasts. pure angus beef. fresh fish fillets, seafood....never anything battered and fried tho. everything i put in my mouth is QUALITY food, not a food substitute. beautiful rich, high quality DARK chocolate as a pretty frequent treat. and lifting weights....HEAVY as i possibly can, 3 sets of 6-8, when that gets easy, i increase the weight. very little cardio, as i hate cardio machines and i don't feel safe in my neighborhood to run, not to mention i don't like to run on concrete, my old joints just can't take it anymore lol.

Last edited by cinnabar; 07-03-2011 at 08:57 PM..

Old 07-05-2011, 06:34 PM

hey my apologies to all if my last post came across as obnoxious, it's true i am feeling quite pleased with myself for doing what it takes to get in shape again, i won't apologize for that. perhaps this had the appearance of attention seeking, but really i just wanted to help confirm the point so many others were making.

the hardest part of it all was trusting my body and having patience that the results of all my hard work would eventually show. it seemed like it took months for the pounds to start dropping off, even though my clothes started fitting better after about 3 weeks. the scale didn't even start to budge for about a month, but i didn't let that discourage me, i could see subtle changes in my body (and told myself that even if i was imagining it, to use it as motivation).

fyi for the op....i am 156 lbs in this picture. according to the bmi charts, i am considered about 15 lbs overweight. according to the doctor who weighed me last week too.

Old 07-05-2011, 06:47 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,257,288 times
You're a smokin' hot 156. I'd have guessed 135 max. Where are you hiding the rest?

Old 07-06-2011, 09:36 AM

2,754 posts, read 6,102,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnabar View Post
the best and most liberating thing i ever did when it comes to fitness/diet et all.....was forget the scale, forget the bmi stuff. forget age too, you can be fit and youthful and attractive at any age.

to give you a bit of perspective, i'll play the game too. here's me, i'm 5'5, 45 years old. ok so......guess how much i weigh.

yes admittedly, i'm quite proud of this, but i think i have the right to pat myself on the back a little. i was 30 lbs overweight last november. got here by being absolutely religious about cutting sugar out of my diet, no more than 20 grams of sugar max per day, less if i can manage it. believe it or not, i still eat about the same number of calories i did before, cutting hidden sugar out of my diet was absolutely KEY to getting rid of cravings, the urge to nibble was completely gone within days of being vigilant about sugar. no processed foods, that includes margarine and salad dressings. switched to butter and make my own dressings with oil, vinegar and sunflower seeds. i eat eggs most every day, and occasionally even bacon. lots of tuna. lots of skinless chicken breasts. pure angus beef. fresh fish fillets, seafood....never anything battered and fried tho. everything i put in my mouth is QUALITY food, not a food substitute. beautiful rich, high quality DARK chocolate as a pretty frequent treat. and lifting weights....HEAVY as i possibly can, 3 sets of 6-8, when that gets easy, i increase the weight. very little cardio, as i hate cardio machines and i don't feel safe in my neighborhood to run, not to mention i don't like to run on concrete, my old joints just can't take it anymore lol.

Proud? But your entire midriff is covered-up. I don't get it.

Proud women wear bkinis or Daisy Dukes and a Baby Tee.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:54 AM

1,904 posts, read 2,987,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
Proud? But your entire midriff is covered-up. I don't get it.

Proud women wear bkinis or Daisy Dukes and a Baby Tee.
True True.

Old 07-06-2011, 04:12 PM

lol....zif.

you might want to take note...that is not a posed shot, that is a shot of me engaging in an activity that requires a lifejacket and harness to participate in....para-sailing. i was dressed appropriately for such.

bottom line is that i am proud of what i've accomplished, the health and fitness goals i've achieved are significant, i look great, feel great, my quality of life is improved in all areas, and have been liberated from the the archaic, out-dated, narrow minded and limiting attitudes about what a woman should look like, how much she should weigh, how she should work out, why she takes care of herself, and most importantly...whether she meets with the approval of society...specifically men...or not.

there seem to be a lot of men out there.....who can only relate to the kind of woman that needs their approval to feel good about themselves. am i really supposed to believe that unless i impress (you) with a bikini or daisy dukes, with the 'right' clothes, the 'right picture, the 'right' pose, the 'right' number on the scale etc and et al.....that i have no right to feel proud of my own accomplishments? does that mean i don't have the right to feel sexy and attractive, just because (you) might not think so due to your own lacking capacity to recognize someone in great shape because their middle is covered with a lifejacket? your response is curious to me....that you would you choose to shoot a woman down instead of support her efforts speaks volumes about you. i suggest you get over yerself, that's just so laughable. but on the plus side, you have just helped establish the point i want to convey to the op.

anyway, no biggie. no surprise that some just don't 'get it'. those that don't 'get it' typically are not the kind of men i relate to either.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:30 PM

530 posts, read 779,995 times
Well, I would have guessed you weigh 30 lbs less than last November. But what do I know.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:29 AM

861 posts, read 1,124,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnabar View Post

wow you look great, I would have never guessed you were 156 you look more like 126 how long did it take you to lose the weight?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness