Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 07:30 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,122,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
New Balance 470 (I think that's the number) I always go back to them.
I used to wear Nike cross trainers (Ah, Prefontaine!), but they're too heavy. Go figure!
lol thats it thats why I can't run my shoes are too heavy

so I did the walk /jog walk/jog again this morning my dog gives me this "ok can you makeup your mind" look

while I was that gym on the elliptical I was watching the folks running on the treadmills. I said to my self you can do this.

karla
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2007, 11:05 AM

295 posts, read 1,450,498 times
Lots of people will try to give you technical tips on running...
I have been running for about 22 years (retired military guy), and I never 'learned' the proper way to run. I just ran the same way I did as a kid - trying to get from point A to point B quickly. Running for distance (longer than it takes to catch what you are chasing) is always a shock when you first start out, and will suck no matter how you prepare. Just let your body be your guide. If it hurts (pain is a lot different than discomfort), figure out what hurts and re-evaluate how you are doing it.

My one thread of advice is:
1) listen to your body. Sharp pain is mostly bad, especially for joints and the heart. You will eventually get used to the breathing, and be able to pace yourself according to your body's rhythym.
2) wear a shoe that is designed for running. There are some specialty stores that can help you select a good pair of shoes. Take care of your feet, and they will take care of your knees, hips, and back.

As a side note - I have found that I can get close to the same intensity in my cardio workouts if I use the elliptical machine set on a high setting. I use the setting for a hill workout, and jack it up to about level 15 for 30 minutes. It keeps my cardiovascular endurance up when I can't (or don't want to) run outside.
jim

Old 11-28-2007, 04:09 AM

Thanks jim
I had forgotten about this thread.
My schedule the past few weeks has cut into my morning "wog" (walk -jog) as I have started calling it.
This was a good reminder to get back out there. I will have to give you some rep points for this

I tried the "run like I did when I was a kid" and did find it easier.

weird but the less I thought about it the farther I can go.
I used a trick of running from street lamp to street lamp
and am up to half and half now.
It also seems the cooler weather helps.

karla

Old 11-28-2007, 09:15 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,745,612 times
I recently started to run (two months ago). My goal was a 8 min mile..pretty tough since I havent "ran" in ages. What I did was to start out with a farther goal each day. Lets say day 1, I ran to house number 5 from my house, then walked back around the block. day 2, I ran to house number 6, and so forth. I know its not much of a daily gain. But within two weeks I could run a mile.

Old 11-28-2007, 10:44 AM

4,273 posts, read 15,254,417 times
Hey Karla - I think everybody answered pretty much how I was going to respond. When I first started my health kick, I was on the elliptical for a couple of months, working my butt off trying to gain endurance. Then I tried the treadmill and I felt like I was starting all over again!! I could barely do a coule of minutes! Slowly but surly I got up there. Well, you know the rest from our daily exercise thread. I was doing 45 MIN straight pretty consistently for just about the whole summer. Now I'm back to 30 MIN unfortunately but we all have to fall off the bandwagon some time! Heehee

Old 11-28-2007, 01:14 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Here's how I added to my running distance, when I did such things:
  • Break into a jog.
  • See white car two blocks ahead.
  • Say "OK, I'll run to the white car."
  • Approach white car.
  • See another runner coming toward me.
  • Keep running past white car in order not to look like a wimp.
  • Slow down only when other runner is out of sight.

Old 11-28-2007, 01:25 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,254,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
[*]Slow down only when other runner is out of sight.[/list]
I will never admit that I do this, too, because I don't. How lame. heehee

Old 11-28-2007, 06:40 PM

rofl I do it too when I run past a house and the homeowner is out front
lol I try to keep going till they are out of sight good thing they can't see me hanging on to the nearest lightpole for dear life
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness