Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 09:20 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times

Advertisements

if one buys into the whole organic fad and buys stuff marketing as the healthy stuff or the green stuff, then its going to cost more.

but if someone is more rational, doesnt buy into silly fads, doesnt believe paying more necessarily means getting more, then you can easily do healthy very cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 08:23 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,639,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I agree with all the benefits of eathing healthy but I don't agree it has to cost more. The single best thing people can do to eat healthy is cook themselves. So-called "junk" is usually prepared or packaged food. And it isn't cheaper.

You don't need to shop at Whole Foods to eat healthy. I don't believe that broccoli from WF is proven to be any healthier than broccoli from a "regular" grocery store. But buying it at WF will cost at least 25% more.

The only real cost of eating healthy is spending the time it takes to cook.
SO, SO, SO true!! I remember my friend and I brought a pair of knock off Cheerios cereal brands at a regular local supermarket that was just 2 bucks (1.99 to be exact). Later that day we happened to go to Whole Foods (we were shopping for some stuff we couldn't find in our regular supermarket) and we came across THEIR brand of Cheerio type cereal. We looked at the nutritional value of the Whole Foods cereal brand and it was actually A LOT less than and a lot cheaper (price wise) than their brand of Cheerio cereal knock off. It was about 4-5 bucks or more than the 1.99 version!

I go to Whole Foods for some stuff but I actually got maybe 60% of my healthy foods from Trader Joes and regular supermarket and its usually very inexpensive.

I recommend Trader Joes to everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness