Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 11:29 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
I think I did it in 17.02-- I dunno--I was seeing stars by the end of it--all I heard was "P A S S !"
So you beat it by 35 seconds! Nice. You came a long way in a brief time. Although honestly I think the years of doing squats were your trump card here.

Make sure you get a litttle protein after you run. Physiologists advise eating some protein within 30 minutes after a workout, because that is when the body is most 'absorbent.' Also get plenty of sleep. The body builds itself during rest & recovery, not during the workout itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 11:43 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,813,926 times
Yeah...protein and I are best friends.
52 grams right after a run or gym via protein shake.
10 egg whites every single morning-7 days a week with a side of 1cup of Cottage cheese most days.
3-4 huge skinless grilled chicken breast almost daily with tons and tons of black and lentils.
One double size Casein protein shake right before bed.
The way I add it--it's almost 200 grams.
I try and shoot for that old formula of 1.5grams per lb of body weight.
I try anyway....

Old 11-02-2011, 07:57 AM

417 posts, read 365,715 times
You should pick up running man, I've been doing it for years and you would definitely lose weight. Join a local running club. I've always been skinny and will stay skinny, but running is very beneficial to your body as a whole.

Edit- By pick it up, I mean keep it up.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:46 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
congrats!!!

always good when you work to a goal and are able to accomplish it

keep pressing and finding ways for improvement and other areas where you can assert yourself - take these lessons to the new job and that entire process .... won't be easy, but it will be worth it

Old 11-02-2011, 01:11 PM

438 posts, read 1,731,088 times
Congratulations! What an excellent accomplishment

Old 11-09-2011, 06:53 PM

So I decided to kick it up a few levels today and ran with a 40 pound weight belt. Just like this one:

I did complete the 1.5 miles, but nowhere near 17 min.
Seeing as I am going to have to take the entire test 2 more times to graduate from the academy, I figured I'd try this.
Don't ask me why.
Just seemed like the thing to do. lolololol
If you ever get a chance to use one, you really ought to.
I was sweating like a dyslexic playing scrabble

Old 11-10-2011, 03:45 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Weight vest is not a good idea IMO. It will put more stress on feet, knees, & hips & increase the chance of injury, while not providing that much benefit.

Weight Vests and Distance Running?
http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_re...thread=1724903
Just my opinion though. Some like them. I suggest running faster, longer, or running hills. Hills are good because you're going to work harder without a proportional increase in pounding of the feet.

I do not claim to be an expert, though. I suggest you at least google around and see what others have to say before you do it.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:28 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,915,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Weight vest is not a good idea IMO. It will put more stress on feet, knees, & hips & increase the chance of injury, while not providing that much benefit.

Weight Vests and Distance Running?
Running with a weight vest
Just my opinion though. Some like them. I suggest running faster, longer, or running hills. Hills are good because you're going to work harder without a proportional increase in pounding of the feet.

I do not claim to be an expert, though. I suggest you at least google around and see what others have to say before you do it.
Dropping in after a few months' absence. Very strongly second this advice by Wutitiz. At least read up on the various opinions about weight vests and belts.

Also, in general I'd advise you (and anyone) to take it slowly when increasing levels of exercise, especially when you start off at a beginning or moderate level of fitness. Great that you're continuing with the running, but pushing for too much too soon brings the risk of injury, layoffs due to injury, and ultimately slower progress toward fitness.

Think of your experience lifting. I'm thinking that you would not advise someone new to lifting, who had been working out just a couple of weeks and was just getting the feel for how to handle free weights, to suddenly try benching 250, 300, or whatever. The same idea applies here. Push yourself, but do so with a gradual, progressive timetable. But by all means keep running.

And congrats on the test results!

Old 11-10-2011, 08:01 PM

I did read some reviews about the vest.
Most of them said not to use it because of the the reasons posted here.
I dunno...
I found it on Craigslist for 30 bux and thought I'd give it a shot.
A little over zealous I know.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:01 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,884,082 times
Best way to train isn't adding weight; it is by running further and harder (separate workouts) during training than on the actual race/test. Alternate days doing hard interval training (sprint out a 400, slow jog a 400, sprint, etc.; do that on a hill rather than a track; do 100/200/400/800 rather than just 400's, that sort of thing) with long slow distance runs (5-10 miles). The interval training will make you stronger and faster and the distance will give you endurance and let your muscles recover.

When you take the test again, you'll be going slower than your interval training and shorter than your distance. This is the way we used to train in cross country, but, my team was sort of mediocre so caveat emptor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness