Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 07:22 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,260,509 times

Advertisements

What are the best strength exercises for guys to build up chest, shoulder, and upper arm muscles? My legs are doing great due to regular cycling but I need something more for the upper body.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 08:55 PM

885 posts, read 1,522,457 times
Presses with free weights & calisthenics would be the fastest & cheapest.

I do series presses both upright and on the mat, extensions, and pushups routinely and I've gotten great definition and size from such.

Old 11-12-2011, 07:46 AM

2,444 posts, read 3,584,880 times
dumbell pressing, play with the angle of the bench to hit the muscles differently, and use this as a basis for all these musclegroups.
dumbel/cross-cable flies to build the pecs further
dips to hit those triceps more, and then finish them off with
pushdowns
lateral dumbell raises to hit the shoulders
dumbell bicep curls...

do that for 2 months, then mix it up some.

Old 11-12-2011, 08:17 AM

885 posts, read 1,522,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishViking View Post
dumbell pressing, play with the angle of the bench to hit the muscles differently, and use this as a basis for all these musclegroups.
Yeah, exactly right. If you pay attention to your workouts you can get a lot done.

Old 11-13-2011, 08:00 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,670,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
What are the best strength exercises for guys to build up chest, shoulder, and upper arm muscles? My legs are doing great due to regular cycling but I need something more for the upper body.
Do 6-8 upper body exercises with three sets of each exercise. When you can do 10-12 reps, add weight. Free weights are the best but mix in machines to get 6-8 upper body exercises. Dumbells are best, barbells second best. Work on doing pullups but it may take a while to be able to do them effectively. Use cable cross overs or a pec deck machine to target the chest. Nothing else is as effective. Most important, find exercises that you are comfortable with and that you can get in a routine with. Once you get in a routine try mixing it up by substituting different exercises. For example, try working in dips if you have the right equipment. They target the chest and triceps.

Old 11-13-2011, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Do 6-8 upper body exercises with three sets of each exercise. When you can do 10-12 reps, add weight. Free weights are the best but mix in machines to get 6-8 upper body exercises. Dumbells are best, barbells second best. Work on doing pullups but it may take a while to be able to do them effectively. Use cable cross overs or a pec deck machine to target the chest. Nothing else is as effective. Most important, find exercises that you are comfortable with and that you can get in a routine with. Once you get in a routine try mixing it up by substituting different exercises. For example, try working in dips if you have the right equipment. They target the chest and triceps.
Okay so here's the equipment I have on hand. What kind of effective routine could I do with them?

- 10 lb. kettle bell
- 10 lb. dumb bell
- Pull-up bar
- Exercise ball

Old 11-13-2011, 10:24 AM

2,444 posts, read 3,584,880 times
Quote:
Okay so here's the equipment I have on hand. What kind of effective routine could I do with them?

- 10 lb. kettle bell
- 10 lb. dumb bell
- Pull-up bar
- Exercise ball
Ok... to be effective in your workout a gym-card would be preferred, but if we're going for the exercise-at-home ruote here are some tips:

Bench-press substitute:
Form a T with chairs at all 3 ends of the T, and have your feet at the lone char and your hands on the pair. (if your pull-up bar is on of the models that also function as a pushupstand then you can wary with skipping the 2 chairs for the hands) Then do pushups so you can go lower into the push-up than you would be able to if the floor was in the way. this gives you a greater range of motion(RoM).
elevate the chair you put your feet on to get different angles in the push-ups.
Use a backpack and fill it with water-bottles to get more resistance,fill it further with cloth to get stablity inside the backpack.
using the ball for pushups with a balance thing as "functional training" is... well usually more of a deal for people with shoulderproblems, but definatly not for mass-building. to gett more mass you want your concentration to be on powering through the reps, rather than balance.

Flies:
Get rubber-bands and fasten them to something steady like the sides of your bed and do you flies there.

Dips:
Use 2 chairs, and put your feet on one and your hands on the back char si that you can dipp your butt down in between the chairs. take the backpack with filled waterbottles and put it on your thighs for resistance.

You don't have the weights to do the other execises but these can be substituted with rubber-bands for a fairly cheap-buck.

Old 11-13-2011, 04:37 PM

SwedishViking - Thanks for taking the time to detail that out for me. I'll give it a shot.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:09 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,670,669 times
Quote:

- 10 lb. kettle bell
- 10 lb. dumb bell
- Pull-up bar
- Exercise ball
You're not going to do much with that. I'm betting your pull-up bar is not installed where you can do full pull-ups. That means being able to hang completely free and pull yourself above the bar. My suggestion is to get a gym membership. Try a YMCA, Gold's Gym and anyplace that is most convenient to home and work.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
You're not going to do much with that. I'm betting your pull-up bar is not installed where you can do full pull-ups. That means being able to hang completely free and pull yourself above the bar. My suggestion is to get a gym membership. Try a YMCA, Gold's Gym and anyplace that is most convenient to home and work.
My pull-up bar is the one the Feds nicely installed on the par course along the park service trail where I ride my bike 1-2 hours a day. It does allow full extension. I hate indoor exercise so a gym's not really desirable for me. Plus I work at home and don't want to waste time driving back and forth to one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness