Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 12:35 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,916,759 times

Advertisements

6'1, 180 lbs.

started working out about 6 months ago. just trying to get bigger up top. arms are bigger but chest is about the same. not sure why.

i usually work out 3 times a week. i

arm curls - 40 lbs each time (12 reps x 3).

bench press bar bells at an incline - 40 lbs (12 reps x 3)

standard bench press with the bells at 50 lbs (12 reps x 3).

sometimes i'll add in some dips in there too, and also some lat pull downs, and overhead presses (usually 12 reps x 2), etc. to change it up a little bit...

arms are definitely bigger but dont see chest getting any bigger. am i doing something wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 12:55 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,970,811 times
How many push ups can you do? I think push ups are really underrated if you are trying to work out your chest. Do you work on your shoulders much? I like to use the decline bench press alot, my favorite workout probably. You really feel it and see the difference. It also depends where you place your hands on the bar. From what I know, the futher your arms are the more it works your chest than arms.

Old 04-16-2010, 02:56 PM

181 posts, read 598,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
6'1, 180 lbs.

started working out about 6 months ago. just trying to get bigger up top. arms are bigger but chest is about the same. not sure why.

i usually work out 3 times a week. i

arm curls - 40 lbs each time (12 reps x 3).

sometimes i'll add in some dips in there too, and also some lat pull downs, and overhead presses (usually 12 reps x 2), etc. to change it up a little bit...

arms are definitely bigger but dont see chest getting any bigger. am i doing something wrong?
You have the most growth hormones in your legs and back- none of which you are hitting directly besides your lats through bench if you have good form. If you don't work your lower body, you're honestly cheating your upper body because your entire body isn't reaching it's full potential. At the very least, you should definitely contemplate adding squats and deadlifts. Squats will work your quads, hamstrings, glutes, hip flexors, back, arms, abs, and probably some more i am missing. Deadlifts will hit your entire back, hamstrings, traps, biceps, abs, and more. It's undeniably stupid to not have those 2 lifts in your routine- they are the 2 best lifts for FULL BODY growth.

Also, your biceps make up about 4% of your muscles- to train them every workout is almost counterproductive because you could be overtraining them. The kings of upper body lifts IMO are; Clean and Jerk, Military Press, Flat BB Bench Press, Weighted Dips, Weighted Pullups, Barbell/Dumbbell Rows.

Baring all this in mind, diet is going to determine how much muscle you gain. Do you mind letting us know how a typical diet day looks for you?

I think something like this could be good for you and your goals- i am assuming it's a 3 day split and something like this can cater to your goals.

Monday: Squat, Military Press, Barbell/Dumbbell Rows, Tricep Exercise

Wednesday: Bench Press, Pullups, Dumbbell Lunges, Abs

Friday: Deadlift, Dips, Shrugs Curl Exercise

Old 04-16-2010, 03:28 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,970,811 times
Do you go running Rider? I'm focusing alot more right now running than lifting weights so I can't really get a chance to workout my legs with weights since I don't want to be sore when I go running.

Old 04-16-2010, 05:10 PM

181 posts, read 598,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
Do you go running Rider? I'm focusing alot more right now running than lifting weights so I can't really get a chance to workout my legs with weights since I don't want to be sore when I go running.
It all depends on one's goals- weightlifting isn't always necessary. Your body is pretty dam amazing in that it can adapt to a lot of the stress put on it. I think if you wanted to start working out with weights that you should take it easier on the running for a week or so to allow your body to become acclimated to weightlifting. After that, just do your thing and your body should adapt. Also, if you start adding weights i would add some more calories to your diet.

Old 04-16-2010, 05:33 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,953,056 times
Quote:

There's your problem right there. You need to go much heavier than that if you want to get bigger. You also need to really up your calorie intake.

You need to lift weight where you FAIL (i.e., cannot complete the last rep) at at reps 6-8. If you can do 10 reps with the weight you are not going heavy enough.

Old 04-16-2010, 06:04 PM

ok, i can increase up to 55 or 60 lbs and do less reps. that makes sense. the gym i go to only goes to 70lbs (probably pretty standard) when using bar bells. thanks everyone, i really appreciate it!

jr rider 23, i skip breakfast, usually eat a sub sandwich with chips for lunch, with a coke. dinner is spaghetti, tacos, fish, chicken, etc. i dont eat the best, but i'm working on cutting out the cokes/beer/late night snacks.

Old 04-16-2010, 06:15 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,953,056 times
Quote:
ok, i can increase up to 55 or 60 lbs and do less reps. that makes sense. the gym i go to only goes to 70lbs (probably pretty standard) when using bar bells. thanks everyone, i really appreciate it!
Oh, I get it, you mean dumbbells. If you want size, you really need to up the weight. Head over the barbell/free weight area instead. Or, slap some 45s on the iso hammer strength machines and go from there.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:19 PM

^^^dumbbells, yes. i think a 50lb in each hand is pretty good though. but i can increase weight and decrease reps, thanks for the tips!

Old 04-17-2010, 01:09 AM

739 posts, read 2,262,041 times
you are doing several things wrong. 1st your basically just doing your biceps and triceps 2 of the smallest muscles in the body. I do not even do any isolation exercises. You need to do compound exercises like deadlift, squat, benchpress, military press, maybe pullups using a belt with weights, bent over rows, clean. Also if your only using 50 lbs for a total of 100 your not stressing your body enough to make a difference. That cant be more than about 30% of your maxium. You need to use more like 85-90%. But what do I know im small im only 5-7 215 and im not a bodybuilder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness