Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 10:18 AM

395 posts, read 1,540,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Klato View Post
Why not walk? It's low impact and free.
Because I have progressed past the point at which walking would be the best option. When I started going to the Y more than a year ago I was about 44 pounds heavier than I am right now so my progress has been slow enough even with doing a minimum of one hour of cardio and weights. I actually kind of like it that way because it means that I will not have to deal with a lot of excess skin hanging the way people who lose weight quickly do.

Walking is a pleasant enough activity but it is simply not enough to meet my current needs. I can "run" on the elliptical for an hour plus and be on my second wind and burn hundreds of calories. Switching to walking and depending on that for my exercise would impede my progress. My daughter is seventeen with Aspergers Syndrome and is overweight. I have been having her walk on the treadmill at the Y when I go for my own workouts per her doctors advice. He wants her to build up to two miles per day and she is trying ( and losing weight) but is not yet "loving exercising" the way I do.

Another thing is that I am very self consious and just do not like to exercise out in the open whereas at the Y (or probably any gym) everyone is pretty much focused on their own objectives. I have walked many a time when I did not have transportation so I do not mind that, but other than that I am just too self consious. Anyway I am really looking forward to doing the Your Shape game with the kinect as I am ready to change it up and spend more time at home in the evenings even if I am working out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2011, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleecya View Post
I love the gym, I live in an area that is a very nice but it gets really hot here. You have to pick early morning or in the evening where I live at. The gym I can go to any time of the day even at high noon and not die of heat stroke. I find that I can get a better range of exercise done in the gym vs doing my exercise outside. Running on pavement puts more stress on your joints over time vs the elliptical machine which relieves stress on your joints
Ditto what aleecya said. We had over 3 months of 100 plus degree temperatures this summer. Exercising outside would have been unbearable not to mention dangerous unless it was early morning (impossible for me) or after dark (just not desireable). We also get ice storms and blizzards here in Oklahoma.

Old 11-24-2011, 11:08 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,387,602 times
The vast majority of people (who aren't fanatically committed to fitness), get gym memberships and end up going a few times, then quit. Why? Because it's inconvenient. You have to get ready, get in the car, drive to a from the gym, etc.

For anyone who has the money, a home gym is the answer. I don't have kids so I have discretionary income and used it on a home gym, which I have never regretted.

Old 11-24-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
The vast majority of people (who aren't fanatically committed to fitness), get gym memberships and end up going a few times, then quit. Why? Because it's inconvenient. You have to get ready, get in the car, drive to a from the gym, etc.

For anyone who has the money, a home gym is the answer. I don't have kids so I have discretionary income and used it on a home gym, which I have never regretted.
I must be fanatical then!

Old 11-24-2011, 12:42 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridamom1970 View Post
I must be fanatical then!
Me too!

Home gym would be nice but I bet I wouldn't use it like I use the gym. Plus I like being around other people doing the same thing. I enjoy talking to folks and getting to know them. The gym also makes me more competitive and keeps me focused on new goals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness