Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 08:17 AM

103 posts, read 503,509 times

Advertisements

This will probably come across as being very unsupportive of the New Year's resolutions of others...but I can't help but be a little perturbed at not being able to use any machines at my gym because of the crowd.

Especially since I know this same crowd of people will no longer frequent my gym by mid-February. I'm glad that people are going to the gym and trying to get in shape. But experience in watching this pheonomenon says they won't last. I resent the intrusion into my regular routine. The gym is huge, mind you, but there was not one piece of cardio equipment available last night. And most of the machines were equally occupied. It was the most stuttered and stunted workout I've had in awhile.

Has everyone else's gym been taken over by the New Year people as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 08:26 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,167,239 times
lol......yea that happens....it's inevitable. Just work through it......it typically doesn't last that long...unfortunatly

Old 01-13-2009, 08:26 AM

1,776 posts, read 4,005,075 times
Like you said, it's expected this time of year. If anything, make it an invitation to make a change to your routine, challenge yourself to some new exercises, until the fat is trimmed. (no pun intended)

Old 01-13-2009, 08:40 AM

968 posts, read 2,589,992 times
Yet another reason why I work out at home.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:56 AM

109 posts, read 581,555 times
LOL...I hear ya! I've been a gym rat almost my entire life it seems and have been a regular of my current gym since 2000. Every January, there's a huge influx of "resolutioners" that seem to take over the gym. My evening workouts used to take 2 hrs. (rather than 1 hr.) during those peak times, so I changed up my routine to do cardio outside of the gym and weights during lunch time or in the early morning or afternoon before the crowd gets in. Other regulars have switched their schedules to come in during lunch as well.

The way I look at it (to keep from getting frustrated) is that gyms make the majority of their revenues in January. Their business model relies on capturing initiation fees and prepaid memberships. They profit from the multitude of people who sign up, pay their upfront fees, and then whittle away after a month; not from the few people who use their machines and facilities day in and day out, year-to-year (like us ). But thanks to them, I get to maintain a low annual renewal rate AND get to workout on new/updated equipment every year.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiMBA View Post
LOL...I hear ya! I've been a gym rat almost my

The way I look at it (to keep from getting frustrated) is that gyms make the majority of their revenues in January. Their business model relies on capturing initiation fees and prepaid memberships. They profit from the multitude of people who sign up, pay their upfront fees, and then whittle away after a month; not from the few people who use their machines and facilities day in and day out, year-to-year (like us ). But thanks to them, I get to maintain a low annual renewal rate AND get to workout on new/updated equipment every year.
That's the way it goes, and you are right in every detail.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:23 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,935,082 times
January joiners will be gone by St Patricks day.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:32 PM

1,744 posts, read 7,262,225 times
There hasn't been too much of a spike that I've noticed in the weight room. The cardio machines have been busier though, that's for sure. Kind of a no-factor with me.

I've noticed a few new people in and around the weight room though. Nothing too noteworthy, although I do think it's hilarious when wanna-be UFC types and/or thugs come in all decked out in their Affliction and Tap Out gear and/or P Diddy-esque gym attire, complete with headbands or beanies and have absolutely no clue what they're doing. Not having a clue is not a good reason to laugh at someone in the gym, the cockiness associated with dressing like that is.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Rhino View Post
There hasn't been too much of a spike that I've noticed in the weight room. The cardio machines have been busier though, that's for sure. Kind of a no-factor with me.

I've noticed a few new people in and around the weight room though. Nothing too noteworthy, although I do think it's hilarious when wanna-be UFC types and/or thugs come in all decked out in their Affliction and Tap Out gear and/or P Diddy-esque gym attire, complete with headbands or beanies and have absolutely no clue what they're doing. Not having a clue is not a good reason to laugh at someone in the gym, the cockiness associated with dressing like that is.
That's funny, because in basketball you usually can predict that a person dressed head to toe in a team uniform usually has no game. It's been something that proves true more often than not. I do notice that a lot of people getting 'dressed' for the gym have no clue what they are doing.

Old 01-13-2009, 02:05 PM

4,589 posts, read 13,167,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
That's funny, because in basketball you usually can predict that a person dressed head to toe in a team uniform usually has no game. It's been something that proves true more often than not. I do notice that a lot of people getting 'dressed' for the gym have no clue what they are doing.
Hey I get "dressed" 4 the gym I hope I know what i'm doing otherwise i'm in big trouble
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness