Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 12:18 PM

81 posts, read 454,199 times

Advertisements

I am going to get a new cell phone which is a large rectangle phone. I normally run outdoors with my cell phone in my hand, as my present cell is small (and very old). Can anyone recommend a holder that works ? I need to have my phone with me, so running without cell is not an option. The arm holders seem difficult to get into if there is an emergency. Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 12:30 PM

61,745 posts, read 87,194,708 times
What kind of phone? Specific phones have holders made just for them...

Old 12-02-2012, 12:50 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,167,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rado26 View Post
I am going to get a new cell phone which is a large rectangle phone. I normally run outdoors with my cell phone in my hand, as my present cell is small (and very old). Can anyone recommend a holder that works ? I need to have my phone with me, so running without cell is not an option. The arm holders seem difficult to get into if there is an emergency. Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated. Thank you.
The arm holder is really going to be your only option? I understand your concern about emergencies, but the arm holder can rip off your arm in probably 3 seconds, the amount of time it would take you to get out of a pocket or any other holder.

I wouldn't do a belt clip because the constant jostling and the fact it's probably clipped onto some sort of athletic pant/short could make it slip off.

Just get an armband. I don't think you'll have to worry about getting it off in time.

Old 12-02-2012, 12:56 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,954,874 times
You could also buy earbuds that double as a hands-free talking thingybob (orry I cannot think of the name of it). That way you won't have to talk the phone out of its' case.

Old 12-02-2012, 01:07 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,369,310 times
I'd suggest getting a rig used for water (either fanny pack, belt, or camebak-type) Some of them have pockets/pouches, or you could pretty easily sew on a pouch yourself (or have it done at a sewing shop).

Such a rig will be specifically designed for running (weight distribution, comfort, etc). Hydration backpack such as those from Nathan, Osprey, and Camelbak would be ideal. Studies have shown that a backpack-type rig is more efficient than hand held (energy-wise). Just google hydration backpack+running.

You might prefer fanny pack or belt-type. Coach Greg McMillian did an article about this at Running Times, and said that it tends to vary from person to person. He said he tried several rigs till he found one that worked for him. Look for a pouch that will hold it close to your body so that it won't bounce so much.

Old 12-02-2012, 01:27 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,369,310 times
Here's a pretty good thread that should be recent enough not to be outdated, product-wise. People chiming in as to what is their favorite model.
Runner's World Forum - - trail-running - hydration-packs-3

Old 12-02-2012, 02:18 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,829,916 times
Hold in your hand.

Old 12-02-2012, 02:25 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
Just a word of warning if you plan to listen to music via that cell phone. A young adult was hit and killed by a train in our area because he couldn't hear the train whistle and the train couldn't stop fast enough. If you wear earphones, make sure you can hear your surroundings while out walking, jogging and biking.

Old 12-02-2012, 02:37 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,829,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Just a word of warning if you plan to listen to music via that cell phone. A young adult was hit and killed by a train in our area because he couldn't hear the train whistle and the train couldn't stop fast enough. If you wear earphones, make sure you can hear your surroundings while out walking, jogging and biking.
The person should have looked before crossing the tracks, even a deaf person can run just fine.

Old 12-02-2012, 03:51 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
The person should have looked before crossing the tracks, even a deaf person can run just fine.
He was running along side the tracks, not crossing them. It's an area of the city where there aren't parks and people jog the railroad tracks. Trains come too closely and the wind force can suck you under. It's safe enough if the joggers can hear the trains. You can hear trains even when the horns are blowing.

It's downright foolish to feel you're safe to wear headphones blasting so loudly that you can't hear anything simply because deaf people stay safe. Deaf people know they have a safety disadvantage, and they protect themselves by being more alert that people who can hear. Most people who can hear but wear headphones don't step up their level of alertness.

You don't have to do anything wrong not look before crossing. You could be simply jogging on a sidewalk and a car behind you could lose control or skid on ice and up onto the sidewalk. If you can't hear it, you can't save yourself. It happens.

I'm not saying don't use headphones. I'm just saying make sure you can hear your surroundings. It's common sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness