Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 02:01 AM

483 posts, read 1,559,970 times

Advertisements

People baffle me. Why do people drive to the gym just so they can run on a treadmill, then drive home?? If all you're doing is cardio, why not just walk to the gym then walk home?? Save yourself some gas and membership fees!

If you live in the 'hood, and are too afraid to step outside, why not just stay home and do jumping jacks and burpees? Doing that for 20 minutes will exhaust you more than any dumb treadmill would.

The only logical reason to join a gym is for the weights or swimming pool. But I know a couple of fitness bunnies who drive there for only cardio machines. Truly a head-scratcher
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 03:08 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,889,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh u View Post
People baffle me. Why do people drive to the gym just so they can run on a treadmill, then drive home?? If all you're doing is cardio, why not just walk to the gym then walk home?? Save yourself some gas and membership fees!

If you live in the 'hood, and are too afraid to step outside, why not just stay home and do jumping jacks and burpees? Doing that for 20 minutes will exhaust you more than any dumb treadmill would.

The only logical reason to join a gym is for the weights or swimming pool. But I know a couple of fitness bunnies who drive there for only cardio machines. Truly a head-scratcher
Some people like the gym atmosphere.

I work at home, so going to the gym is better than doing calisthenics at home so I have a reason to leave and interact with people.

What about inclement weather? What if you live a few miles from the gym? What if you go to the gym on the way home instead of commuting?

Why do so many people think that there is only one way to workout/become more active/get fit -- "my way?" We aren't all the same, we have different motivations, goals, and exercise styles.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:27 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,125,966 times
Weather? Injury? I used to run a lot outdoors 10-20Km 3 times a week but I messed up my ankles in a climbing accident, had to stop for a year started again but reinjured the left one running which then led to hip problems . I have been running on the tredmill a bit and find it not so damaging. I hate swimming in a pool and it is hard to find the 2-4 hours to go for a proper bike.

At the moment I do .5 hour on the treadmill then do weights then get on the rower or stepper or some other cardio thing for 15 minutes or so then go to the gym bar for a couple of beers.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:31 AM

2,218 posts, read 3,454,433 times
I feel strongly that going to a gym keeps me motivated. When I am at home, it is far too easy to get distracted from sticking to my routine. Phone rings, people drop by, I try to multi task. At the gym, I am there for one reason and one reason only: to work out and accomplish it in the best way possible.

Old 05-03-2012, 05:09 AM

16,905 posts, read 16,133,395 times
If they didn't have parking lots then the employees and emergency vehicles would have no place to park.

Old 05-03-2012, 05:24 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,521,720 times
Well, my gym's parking lot is part of the shopping center, so it's shared use. But I do live close enough to walk there, and I do just that most of the time. Since I use the walking back and forth to the gym (15 min of brisk pace), I use that for my "cardio" and just do the weight machines at the gym.

Now, when it's 95 degrees outside and humid as a steam room, I'll probably drive there, and just do the cardio there after doing the weights - at least it's air-conditioned, plus the big ceiling fans keep it cool while exercising.

Old 05-03-2012, 05:28 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,842,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh u View Post

Ill considered questions baffle me. Add in Poor logic and Jovian conclustions.

Walking is not cardio. Running fast is cardio. You cannot do this in safety on sidewalks with people,byciclists, or vehicles existing/entering roadways.

By your logic no needs to go to the gym and use the pool. One can use the local lake. Heft things at home instead of weights at the gym.

20 minutes? You are a cupcake.

Old 05-03-2012, 06:39 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,214,288 times
I can't even believe you made a thread on this...........

Old 05-03-2012, 07:01 AM

17,326 posts, read 22,065,118 times
Question is similar to "Why does a 24 hour store have locks on the door?"

On the gym vs home argument, people enjoy the camaraderie of working out vs low motivation of solo home workouts. You can eyeball the hot sweaty chicks too!

In some towns the gym is more of a social activity than exercise. I personally couldn't be bothered but I exercise significantly outside of the gym environment.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:15 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,173,018 times
Because at the time I sometimes would like to be working out, I would not feel entirely safe jogging outside by myself? Because there are times where the humidity is so bad outside that I might as well be swimming to the gym?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness