Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 12:38 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,859,449 times

Advertisements

Actually my gym doesn't have a parking lot. It is in the middle of downtown, so they worked out deals with the nearby parking lots and garages. Or you can park on the street.

I usually walk or take the bus just to avoid paying for parking....and the hassle of finding a spot. :P

But the OPs argument is senseless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 12:39 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,813,688 times
Is there a dumbest thread award?

Old 05-03-2012, 12:49 PM

155 posts, read 252,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
IF there is, this one is definitely in the running.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:39 PM

758 posts, read 1,639,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ancient View Post
IF there is, this one is definitely in the running.
At least tied for 1st. I'm pretty sure I've seen this topic come up before.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:42 PM

1,422 posts, read 3,440,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh u View Post
People baffle me. Why do people drive to the gym just so they can run on a treadmill, then drive home?? If all you're doing is cardio, why not just walk to the gym then walk home?? Save yourself some gas and membership fees!

If you live in the 'hood, and are too afraid to step outside, why not just stay home and do jumping jacks and burpees? Doing that for 20 minutes will exhaust you more than any dumb treadmill would.

The only logical reason to join a gym is for the weights or swimming pool. But I know a couple of fitness bunnies who drive there for only cardio machines. Truly a head-scratcher
are you for serious??? I look at it this way (even though i dont belong to a gym but used to and loved it)im totally not motivated at home too much other things i end up doing. the gym i went to was amazing,huge clean pool and classed i loved. but funds fell short,my husband fixed up my basement for me with tv workout equipment,and there they sit unused. I walk instead but i really should be down that basement.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:16 PM

41,951 posts, read 75,153,734 times
Quote:
People baffle me.
Tell me about it.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:37 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,675,099 times
Quote:
People baffle me. Why do people drive to the gym just so they can run on a treadmill, then drive home?? If all you're doing is cardio, why not just walk to the gym then walk home?? Save yourself some gas and membership fees!
A gym is much more that just for work-outs. Often times it a sociohealth center. Socializing (or social interaction) while working out. Similar examples is the joggers all in a group but nobody knows the other person or talks to them; its the comradship of the togetherness on the jog thats the social part of the health (jogging) part.

There are also a number of gym workouts that don't translate well to a non-gym enviroment. So although it appears like running on a treadmill, there potentially other factors involved such as raising or maintaining certain heart rates for a certain time period. Very difficult while dodging cabs and bicycles on the street.

You question is one that has been asked a million times by a million people because it's a valid question when looking at gyms as only a place to use a certain piece of equipemnt, But if you expand the understanding of a modern gym well beyond just sweating on a machine, it becomes more clearer.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:41 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,982,144 times
On the same note ... one of the 24 Hour Fitness locations I go to here in San Diego has both up and down escalators leading to the entrance which is upstairs:

//www.city-data.com/businesses/...-diego-ca.html

Okay ... handicapped people might need them ....but you have to admit .... it does look silly in front of a "fitness" club!

There is also a staircase positioned between the two escalators for those of us strong enough to climb stairs before our workout.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:36 AM

155 posts, read 252,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
Okay ... handicapped people might need them ....but you have to admit .... it does look silly in front of a "fitness" club!
It doesnt look silly to me. It probably looks silly to the ill-informed though. Im sure that building was probably there before the gym moved in. Which means, the developers more than likely had that place built with adherence to building code that probably called for escalators to be installed. So, really, to the more sophisticated person, it doesnt look silly at all. People who are smart about their workouts though would probably take the stairs instead of the escalators.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:41 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,982,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ancient View Post
It doesnt look silly to me. It probably looks silly to the ill-informed though. Im sure that building was probably there before the gym moved in. Which means, the developers more than likely had that place built with adherence to building code that probably called for escalators to be installed. So, really, to the more sophisticated person, it doesnt look silly at all. People who are smart about their workouts though would probably take the stairs instead of the escalators.

Gee ... thanks for that amazing "lesson" in building development.

Most of us "unsophisticated" folks here in the fitness forum don't have a clue about "complex stuff" like that!

And ... I REPEAT ... those escalators in front of a "fitness center" look silly !!!

Maybe you'd like to read what others are saying about the escalators ...

24 Hour Fitness - Midway - San Diego, CA

Quote:
The thing that cracks me up the most is the escalator right out front. I know there are other stores nearby, but I just think it's funny.
Quote:
And yes, the dual escalators out front make me laugh everytime I walk in, and are seldom in working order.
Quote:
(Side note: I find it so funny that there are escalators to get into a GYM. Take the stairs people!)
Quote:
-Unless you are physically incapable of climbing stairs and you take the escalator, KILL YOURSELF!!!! You're at a gym to workout, so if you can't ascend15 stairs at will, what business do you have being there anyway?!
Quote:
When I approached the gym, I saw escalators that bring you up to the gym. What kind of motivation are they providing with this? Lets all go to the gym and be lazy.
Quote:
4. This is the famous 24 Fitness location with the escalators that go into the gym. The picture has been circulated on http://Break.com (http://www.yelp.com/redir?url=http%3A%2F%2FBreak.com&a90284c99ea69185e 80351ccc07f8528 - broken link), http://Collegehumor.com (http://www.yelp.com/redir?url=http%3A%2F%2FCollegehumor.com&6e8cb754f3 6275a5ceec9641b96b1e0f - broken link), etc.
Quote:
Ironically enough, there is an escalator right in front, and most people go out the handicap exit so they don't have to walk up stairs. WTF! You go to the gym to work out and you are too lazy for stairs? Maybe exercise isn't your thing....
And even more laughs and a better photo of these escalators can be found here ....

usa fitness | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

It's too bad highly "sophisticated" people like you don't have a "sense of humor" !!!

Is it time for afternoon tea?

Last edited by RD5050; 05-04-2012 at 09:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness