Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 01:48 PM

17,390 posts, read 16,532,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Lucky, maybe I should consider the lap swimming. I'm not that great a swimmer, but maybe I can improve that and it can be a new challenge.

Thanks, ops! I've yet to figure out why she always chooses to stand by me. Maybe it's more fun to complain about me!

Veuvegirl, I truly do understand about some people not having the option to take another class. And I do realize that some people are doing the best they can. I have been totally respectful of this woman. I have never asked her to move more quickly. I've never rolled my eyes at her! She is the one with the issue with me. I like being supportive of everyone, regardless of their fitness level. And there is no reason for her to be intimidated. We are all at different levels. It is just some luck and good genetics that I can move better than she can be---in addition to the effort I put in.
Some older people get startled by the quick movement of others - it's disorienting to them. Their reflexes aren't what they used to be and, because of that, they fear being injured by someone moving as fast as you do (they aren't quick enough to get out of your way). When they bump into another slow person it's no big deal. Bump into you and "Wham!".

Of course that isn't likely to happen because you are always looking out for the rest of the class and are careful to stay out of their personal space. But I would make a special effort to be on the opposite side of wherever this lady is. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2012, 07:05 AM

626 posts, read 903,334 times
Quote:
My issue pertains to water aerobics, but perhaps others of you who do group exercise can relate and advise me. I am a very fit 58 yo female who takes water aerobic classes at the gym. I take other classes (yoga, pilates, Zumba, Latin fusion, weights, barbells, kickboxing, and step) but I try to do water aerobics a few times a week as well. I like the water. I like the low impact as an addition to the higher impact things I do. I like the instructor; she is like a boot camp sergeant!

The class is considered appropriate for all levels. But the majority of people in the class are my age or older and many have physical limitations. Few of them take any other classes than water aerobics. Although the instructor is tough, they can work at their own level and the water is kinder to their limitations.

I don't mind having slower people around me---but the others mind my speed and power! There is one in particular who refers to me as "the shark" and rolls her eyes when I get close to her. I've never run into her. When we go backwards, I almost get whiplash looking behind me to make sure I don't run into her. When I get close to her, I go backwards/in the other direction, to give her more time to proceed forward. She tells me to slow down. Today I tried to slow it down and concentrate more on power---going backwards doing jumping jacks, this created some splashing. She actually stopped moving and was shielding her face and hair with her hands complaining I was getting her wet. Hello---it's a pool---wet hair can come with the territory!

For some reason, she chooses to stand behind me, even though there are other places that she can stand. Today I got so tired of the eye rolling (she catches the eye of other, slower classmates) and the complaints about splashing her that I left the pool for a few minutes. I spoke to her about it. Her reply was "There are other people in the pool." I replied, "I understand that. I'm not running into anyone. But the complaints and eye rolling are getting old." She then replied, "Peace! Peace be with you!"

The instructor has seen much of this and promises to speak to her.

Has anyone had similar issues? How would you handle this? I am tempted to not continue with water aerobics since I am capable of doing the other classes and these slow women are not---but I truly do enjoy water aerobics and the cross-training.
Just keep doing you and ignore her. She'll have to get over it at some point. You are there to work out and that's it.

Old 05-13-2012, 07:37 AM

30,531 posts, read 16,226,596 times
I also think you should look into lap swimming. You work on speed,endurance and/or just put yourself on auto and think about whatever (cheaper than a shrink).

Since you seem to have a lot of time, ask the instructor if there's another class available, maybe even at another pool.
Other than that, just realize the eye-roller is there and you can't change her. Either ignore her or move on. Guess my vote would be to be the bigger more-mature person and move on but depends on much you really enjoy the class with her in it. Tough choice.

Old 05-13-2012, 08:07 AM

672 posts, read 2,114,136 times
I say forget leaving the class. You like the class. She's the one with the problem. Why should you be the one to quit? I would wait for her to set up camp behind you and then move. I hope she's not a idiot and follows you but you never know.

Granted I have never taken a class like this but would you have more space if you were in the back row?

Old 05-13-2012, 08:33 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,676,925 times
Why would you want to be in a class full of people with lesser abilities? You aren't going to get in an effective workout that way.

Old 05-13-2012, 03:27 PM

4,061 posts, read 2,137,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
Why would you want to be in a class full of people with lesser abilities? You aren't going to get in an effective workout that way.
The instructor is 40 years old. Very fit. She doesn't dumb down the workout. It's just that some of the people can't do as much/as fast/as strong as what the instructor does. Aqua aerobics can be a very demanding workout---but it's also a place where people can hang out and hide that they aren't doing very much. It doesn't bother me when other people don't do much---but part of the class is traveling across the pool, which is more of a challenge than doing the moves just standing there. That's where the problem arises---when we have to move backwards and she is in back of me!

Maryann and Misty---thanks. You are right. While I have no problem with slower people being in the class, I shouldn't let them run me out. The pool is big enough for all of us. The instructor did speak to her after Monday's incident. She didn't return to the class on Wednesday. We will see if she is there tomorrow.

You'd think at 58, I'd be able to cope with people being critical/mean to me---but the gym has been my safe haven where up until now, everyone has been encouraging and accepting of each other. Ironically, as a kid, I was weak, uncoordinated and slow---ostracized as the worst kid in PE! Now I'm being taunted for being the best! Seems like I can't ever fit in with my peers!

Old 05-13-2012, 03:49 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,676,925 times
Quote:
The instructor is 40 years old. Very fit. She doesn't dumb down the workout. It's just that some of the people can't do as much/as fast/as strong as what the instructor does. Aqua aerobics can be a very demanding workout---but it's also a place where people can hang out and hide that they aren't doing very much. It doesn't bother me when other people don't do much---but part of the class is traveling across the pool, which is more of a challenge than doing the moves just standing there. That's where the problem arises---when we have to move backwards and she is in back of me!

Maryann and Misty---thanks. You are right. While I have no problem with slower people being in the class, I shouldn't let them run me out. The pool is big enough for all of us. The instructor did speak to her after Monday's incident. She didn't return to the class on Wednesday. We will see if she is there tomorrow.

You'd think at 58, I'd be able to cope with people being critical/mean to me---but the gym has been my safe haven where up until now, everyone has been encouraging and accepting of each other. Ironically, as a kid, I was weak, uncoordinated and slow---ostracized as the worst kid in PE! Now I'm being taunted for being the best! Seems like I can't ever fit in with my peers!
I still don't understand why you want to be in this class. I would never take a class in which the majority of participants are that much less fit than me. I want the people around me to inspire me to work harder. (That said, I really don't care for classes at all.)

Old 05-13-2012, 05:24 PM

4,061 posts, read 2,137,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
I still don't understand why you want to be in this class. I would never take a class in which the majority of participants are that much less fit than me. I want the people around me to inspire me to work harder. (That said, I really don't care for classes at all.)
Actually, it does inspire and motivate me---seeing the overweight, out of shape women inspires me to work harder to not be like them....

Old 05-13-2012, 06:24 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,822,493 times
Quote:
Actually, it does inspire and motivate me---seeing the overweight, out of shape women inspires me to work harder to not be like them....
And that is probably where the problem lies. This woman is jealous of you I am sure. And I am with the other poster, I am inspired by people who are in better shape than me. It makes me work that much harder. I already know that I do not want to be out of shape.
But I too do not enjoy classes. I like to be on my own and do my own thing and work the parts of me that need to be worked that particular day.

Old 05-13-2012, 10:46 PM

104 posts, read 175,175 times
Not sure why people who don't do classes would provide their input in this thread, as it's not informed. Also not sure why people keep telling the OP to stop taking classes altogether (particularly when she has stated she enjoys it).

It may be one of those things where you may just want to show up just before the class begins and locate yourself on the opposite end from this woman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness