Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 07:59 PM

221 posts, read 438,521 times

Advertisements

I'm been hitting the elliptical hard for the past few months, working out no less than about 50min or 800 calories burned.

I have a sharp pain on the outside of my left knee. It hurts like hell when I bend it and go down stairs.

How can I make the pain go away?
How do I heal it properly?
Should I take a break from the elliptical?
Do I need new shoes?

Please Help! I need to keep burning calories!

M/26/5'11/213p
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 08:04 PM

221 posts, read 438,521 times
How to Heal Runner’s IT Band Knee Pain (Muscle Imbalances, Technique, etc.) - Runner's Corner | Runner's Corner

is that what i have?

Old 05-08-2012, 08:06 PM

61,734 posts, read 87,147,355 times
I am afraid you need to see a doctor about that.

!#7# The Dangers of Sharp Knee Pain | !7: Prices Life Fitness Elliptical

Old 05-08-2012, 08:07 PM

810 posts, read 1,808,511 times
I would see an orthopedist. Knees are tricky joints, and you shouldn't obtain your diagnosis from an Internet forum.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:12 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,822,493 times
Stop going on the elliptical or doing any exercises that involve your knee. Call an orthopedist and find out what is going on. In the mean time, rest it and ice it.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:44 AM

326 posts, read 704,432 times
Longshot fix - sometimes these achy joints and bones are caused by having low vitamin D. Consider getting tested or adding a supplement of ~1000-2000IU/day

Old 05-11-2012, 09:19 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,606,714 times
How old are you? This happened to me at around 47 years. Went in and to my surprise I had arthritis in my hip, the pain was in my knee. If you rest it will go away, then you can exercise until it hurts again then stop for a bit. It's good to keep moving with it, just not hard core bashing.
My pain was aggravated when I stepped to the side like I was changing direction. Also couldn't rest my ankle on my knee without pain. Stepping down on stairs, etc, also hurt it.
I thought it was an injury but just getting old. I was a cheerleader in my youth and an ice skater. That probably helped it along.
They'll x-ray you at the doc, the good thing about arthritis is it's visible on an x-ray where as some soft tissue injuries are not.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:30 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,713,966 times
Well don't exercise on it. You need to go to a doctor for a check up to make sure you didn't do some real damage before using your knee again. Letting it go only makes the problem worse or possibility chronic.

You can still lose weight (burn calories) without the bike. Just adjust your diet to a lower calorie amount to your activity level. While you wait for your doctor's clearance you could work on your upper body.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:55 AM

224 posts, read 828,427 times
Be careful with doctors when it comes to knees. They automatically want to do surgery on everything as knees are big income for them. You may have a hamstring/glut imbalance. You may just need to stretch out your hamstrings more using a foam roller as that topic was addressed in a foam rolling class I took. There are You tube videos on the topic so you might want to have a look. According to my doctor for bad knees treadmills were a definite NO and cycling is the preferred means of cardio if you are having knee issues. You might also try rowing and see how that feels.

Old 05-19-2012, 09:01 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,822,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wembley View Post
Be careful with doctors when it comes to knees. They automatically want to do surgery on everything as knees are big income for them. You may have a hamstring/glut imbalance. You may just need to stretch out your hamstrings more using a foam roller as that topic was addressed in a foam rolling class I took. There are You tube videos on the topic so you might want to have a look. According to my doctor for bad knees treadmills were a definite NO and cycling is the preferred means of cardio if you are having knee issues. You might also try rowing and see how that feels.
A good doctor will not want to operate. My husbands and my Orthopedic guy is great. My husbands knee is bad but the doc says surgery will not help it. You need to do research so you do not end up at a chop shop. There are good docs out there and it sound like this person needs to see one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness