Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 10:16 AM

37 posts, read 74,907 times

Advertisements

so i have completed p90x, lost bout 10 pounds and 3 pant sizes and just started the insanity workouts, im still losing pounds but i dont seem to be loosing very much in my stomach area do you have any tips on how to tighten your core muscles while exercising? i think that my form may have something to do with it. im thinkin of trying shaun Ts hip hop abs next that looks like its rly hard on your core muscles any opinions or tips would be awesome thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 11:30 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times
I've seen it posted here and elsewhere. Great Abs are made in the kitchen, not in the gym.

You can make the underlying muscle stronger with exercise, but you can't burn fat in one certain area that way. You just have to burn it on your whole body. I am the same way. I lost from 240 down to 180, reduced my belly a ton and look so much better, but there is that last pesky 5-10 pounds there on my belly and love handles that I just have not gotten rid of, because I still eat a little bit of bad stuff. If you are the kind of person like me who stores fat there, you really have to eat right and exercise a ton to get the six pack.

Old 05-17-2012, 12:05 PM

204 posts, read 875,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emiliec View Post
so i have completed p90x, lost bout 10 pounds and 3 pant sizes and just started the insanity workouts, im still losing pounds but i dont seem to be loosing very much in my stomach area do you have any tips on how to tighten your core muscles while exercising? i think that my form may have something to do with it. im thinkin of trying shaun Ts hip hop abs next that looks like its rly hard on your core muscles any opinions or tips would be awesome thanks!
Congrats on finishing p90x and good luck with insanity haha it's a killer. I did the same thing as you though. I did two rounds of p90x wherein I didn't lose a ton of weight but did drop pant sizes and had noticeable changes to my physique. I then switched to insanity and that's when the weight began falling off! Give insanity time to work and you'll begin seeing results; however as the other commenter pointed out, you can't really control where you lose the weight so focusing on core workouts, while certainly beneficial overall, will not cause you to tone that area specifically. Diet and lowering your overall % body fat is the key.

Old 05-17-2012, 12:16 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
There have been some threads on this before. I believe the conclusion from knowledgable posters is that spot-fat-reduction is not possible. But I do think that you can affect the overall rate of fat burning by doing certain kinds of exercise.

Team Oregon Tip

According to this article you will burn the most fat in aerobic-oriented exercise longer than 30 minutes, at relatively low intensity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by team oregon
As the intensity of the exercise decreases, a higher ratio of fat is used. At paces more than 30% slower than your 10K race pace (1.3 x 10K pace/mile), you should be utilizing the highest ratio of fat for fuel.
(emphasis mine).

So in other words long, slow running cycling, elliptical, or perhaps even walking would tend to maximize burning of fat.

Old 05-17-2012, 12:20 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times
Quote:
How is your nutritional intake? That is almost always the cause (and solution) to bellyfat.

Old 05-17-2012, 01:07 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
abs are made in the kitchen and they are the holy grail of physical perfection. getting big muscles doesnt require nearly the same diet discipline as abs.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:17 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,939,329 times
I am actually "getting abs" according to my 10 year old so I am going to weigh in here.

How did I do it? Months of a crossfit type of program (similar cross training at my local gym), and a very clean way of eating. I have cut out all the garbage for months, due to having issues with a borderline diabetic blood sugar. No junk, nothing processed, very low carb with veggies first at each and every meal. Drinking only water, coffee, and unsweetened tea. Only the first month was difficult, since then I really enjoy this way of eating. I have so much energy, have lost almost 30 lb since the beginning of the year and a TON of inches (wish I had measured). As far as the exercises, we just do anything and everything that engages the core. You name it, we do it. Upper abs, lower abs, obliques, we use them all and mix it up, plus I do things like planks and variations thereof on a regular basis at home.

I bring this up because I truly now do believe that the previous posters are correct - Abs are indeed made in the kitchen. I had been a faithful gym member since 2009 (According to my Polar, I had burned over 350,000 calories since then), but made no progress in the ab department until I got downright stringent with both diet and exercise simultaneously). Mine will never be perfect due to having big babies and some extra skin, but frankly my belly looks quite remarkable considering that

Old 05-17-2012, 09:20 PM

37 posts, read 74,907 times
so i workd in a nursing home so all the walking plus a little diet change (my mom became diabetic so we changd it up a bit) i lost about 40 pounds im 5'8 and at my heaviest i was 257 i am now 205 i have lost weight all over i have more "narrowed" in my midsection than flattened and im not askin for a 6pak but just to loose some flab lol n i do 5 meals a day at almost 400 calories i had to estimate that from the insanity formula im just wondering if im doin something wrong or if theres something more i can do to target my middle lol i actually tried to do a lil hip hop abs and felt like a complete dork but could feel my core working lol

Old 05-17-2012, 09:25 PM

943 posts, read 1,845,367 times
Quote:
not doubting you.......but are you SURE you lost 3 pant sizes with just the lose of 10 lbs? A pant size is about 8 to 10 lbs so I would think you would need to lose a least 24 to lose 3 pant sizes.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:27 PM

943 posts, read 1,845,367 times
Quote:
so i workd in a nursing home so all the walking plus a little diet change (my mom became diabetic so we changd it up a bit) i lost about 40 pounds im 5'8 and at my heaviest i was 257 i am now 205 i have lost weight all over i have more "narrowed" in my midsection than flattened and im not askin for a 6pak but just to loose some flab lol n i do 5 meals a day at almost 400 calories i had to estimate that from the insanity formula im just wondering if im doin something wrong or if theres something more i can do to target my middle lol i actually tried to do a lil hip hop abs and felt like a complete dork but could feel my core working lol

i am not a doctor but 400 caleries a day sounds like you are starving yourself and not healthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness