Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 11:30 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,112,026 times

Advertisements

I do fine with breakfast and dinner. Breakfast I can do oatmeal, a few hard boiled eggs, fruit...all really easy for me to have at work. Dinner is easy too...I can bake some chicken or fish, steam some veggies, no problem. But lunch is where I struggle. Obviously I can't cook at work, so I have to bring in something I've already made. I get sick of sandwiches after a couple days. I usually end up getting frustrated and eating out for lunch. Terrible for my diet and my wallet. Is there anything I can prepare ahead of time? What do you guys pack for a healthy lunch?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 11:37 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,280,531 times
Leftovers from dinner is usually what I eat. I also eat "breakfast" foods for lunch. I make a huge breakfast (eggwhite omelete, for example) and bring some of that to work.

On Sundays, I cook a huge batch of food that usually lasts until Wedensday. Then I cook Wed. night for the rest of the week.

Oh, and I love salads. Spinach, whatever meat is leftover from dinner, and some cut up veggies takes about ten minutes to make.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:49 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times
1. Sometimes I make soup. I tend to like lentils + meat + veggies + starch
2. Dinner leftovers
3. Salad with leftover protein, leafy or green veggies, beans or starch, 1-2 other veggies, homemade dressing
4. Going out? Soft tacos (meat, salsa, beans maybe on a corn tortilla), falafel (a little low in protein, but fun), schwarma (not really that bad, just watch your portion size and have extra veggies at dinner), tandoori meat, dal, raita (when going for indian), salads

I am not a sandwich lover, but I try to make mine more interesting. LEftover meat from dinner. I make middle eastern style with hummus, cucumbers, roasted peppers, and my favorite meat in a pita. Or meat, chimichurri, spinach or arugula, roasted peppers. Basically, if it is something I would have got in a restaurant I just replicate at home. I don't eat those lettuce, tomato, mayo sandwiches.

Old 05-24-2012, 12:10 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,988,165 times
Make a big salad in a plastic container with a lid, and add as many veggies you want.

Veggies are very low in calories, so doesn't matter how big you make it.

Some of my favorite salad veggies include:

Baby Spinach Leafs
Romaine Lettuce
Tomatoes
Bell Peppers - all colors
Fresh white mushrooms
Celery
Carrots
Fresh broccoli
Onions

Then, for a protein, add hard boiled eggs, cooked chicken breast, tuna fish, turkey breast, or whatever protein foods you enjoy.

Top with a low fat or fat free dressing.

Yes, sandwiches every day can become monotonous.

You can also try making wraps, instead of using bread, just for a little variety.

Another idea is to bring multiple foods with you instead of just one. For instance, bring a yogurt cup, a sandwich, a small salad, a small bag of almonds, a few pieces of fresh fruit, a bag of baby carrots, etc. Then eat the foods throughout the day, and not all in one big meal, that is assuming you can take snack breaks at your job.

Personally, whenever I go out for several hours, I always bring a nylon cooler with an ice pack, and I fill it with all sorts of healthy foods. That way, I always have healthy food with me, and don't have to resort to eating out.

Old 05-24-2012, 12:19 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,716,602 times
i eat 1.5 peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for lunch. ive been doing this about a year now and every time i eat one it still transports me to heaven.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:39 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,942,753 times
Either a steak or fish, can never get enough rainbow trout.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:42 AM

7,841 posts, read 19,004,056 times
strawberrykiki wrote:
What can I eat for lunch that's healthy?
Anything that says NATURAL on the label is sure to be healthy.....otherwise they wouldn't put it on the label.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:53 AM

1,248 posts, read 1,384,322 times
Everything that we eat, is unhealthy, no matter what combination you make. Considering the WWF/WWE strolls of heart failures, and how one of the world skinniest models died, recently in
history. It does not really matter what you eat. Just keep a steady combination. Fiber could be
anything that non-degestable, and physical. Fats can be good in small dosages, because the body needs calories to tone itself. Fat is pure energy, and your body is unable to process it.

While your body is burning, calories, even before it enters starvation mode, you can live off fruits,
beans, and veggies. Vitamins is what makes our bodies special. The idea is to burn more then you intake. If I ate a hamburger ( no matter where it is from ), with greasy fries, and soda. It will not hurt me instantly ( however you can feel the difference in enegry as you get older ). However if I ate it every day, it would start hitting me.

Anything you eat that gives off a burst of instant enegry, and is not sugar, caffeine, or a wonder drug is healthy enough to drink or eat. Take meat for example, you can taste the spoilness of meat,
that has been cooked, but was about spoil ( the cheap stuff they sell off quick ), Then you can taste the freshness of meat, and the energy flows into you like drinking a cup of coffee.

Old 05-27-2012, 03:51 PM

5,481 posts, read 6,312,397 times
Celery sticks and baby carrots, with a banana, a lite yogart and a bottle of water, and ocassionally some red grapes.

Old 05-27-2012, 04:17 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,370,475 times
I eat broccoli and chicken all day, everyday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness