Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 11:21 PM

446 posts, read 997,508 times

Advertisements

I feel like most people in this country are so confused as to what they are really eating/should be eating. We face constant bombardment of images of thin, muscular, perfect bodies and then in the next moment, images of slow moving cheese, close-ups of ice cream, incentives to eat garbage at every turn.... Americans have issues with food, that is for sure. But at what point do those issues turn into an eating disorder?

I started wondering about this an hour ago after a mental reaction to something I ate. Over the summer, I gained back 20 of the 30 pounds that I had lost in the past year and a half. So for the past 3 weeks, I've gotten back into the routine of going to the gym, cutting out sugars and other junk, etc. I've felt like my normal, energetic self again, finally. Unfortunately I went out for a martini with a friend and blew it and ate a cupcake afterwards. I ate very well today other than that, but as soon as I ate the cupcake I felt very panicked and upset with myself. There's this nagging anxiety that I can't shake and it feels like the worst thing I could've ever done. ONE CUPCAKE. Sometimes it goes beyond obvious junk food - if I eat too many almonds (healthy, but full of calories and fat), I'll get nervous. I feel guilty eating a strawberry - or any fruit for that matter.

All of this stems from a gluten and carbohydrate sensitivity. It turns me into a slow, sluggish, stupid person and I function optimally when I eat mainly lean meats and veggies. I also retain a crazy amount of water despite drinking plenty, I can lose 10-15 pounds of water alone. I have a slow metabolism and have to fight like hell to get my weight below a certain point. If I don't pay attention (like this summer), I will bounce right back 183 pounds. I have to fight to get below 160... as soon as I below 160, my body will jump back to 173-4, and then back to 183. I swear it has those numbers memorized! All of this has lead me to be scared of eating the most benign, seemingly "healthy" things. Multi-grain wheat bread? Peaches? Brown rice? I wouldn't dare touch it on a regular day.

Just wondering if anyone else can relate, or if anyone has any suggestions. I'm having a hard time determining what behaviors of mine are healthy and which aren't. I do not want to be guilted into eating a carb-heavy diet, but I also don't want to feel like I'm desperately trying to avoid them if I don't need to. I've also been wondering if maybe some of us are sugar/carb addicts, in which case it would be better to abstain altogether. Most people look at me, shake their head, and say "you're not fat, what are you talking about!" but at 5'6" and 160-180 pounds, I am definitely overweight.

Last edited by deecbee; 09-18-2012 at 11:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 08:19 AM

221 posts, read 484,229 times
Gluten does make me more sluggish; problem with this country is it's either too many refined flour in every form or the hardcore 'carbs is bad' that spread around where people cut every form of carb (or at least they think they're cutting the right thing).

It's all about moderation IMO. Eat the foods that make you healthy and feel good. Don't base it on what works for others as it's all going to differ.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:12 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,822,493 times
Do you have a genuine gluten intolerance? A lot of people are assuming they do when in actuality they do not. The cupcake you ate made you feel like crap because of the sugar.
Do not over think your diet. As the poster said above, just eat a variety of whole, fresh foods. Drink lots of water and get plenty of exercise. Get your heart rate up and keep it up. Lift weights. Push yourself.
Avoid refined foods, fast foods, pre-packaged foods. Limit sugars, simple carbs and saturated fats.
Moderation is the key.
If certain foods really do make you feel like crap go to a nutritionist or your doctor for further testing.

Old 09-19-2012, 11:49 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
I don't worry about what other people eat.

All I know is that if I control my carb intake, I can control my weight more easily. Simple and done.

Old 09-19-2012, 12:28 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,846,198 times
I'm the opposite. Eating lean meats and veggies only seems to really stall weight loss for me. I find that I lose more weight when I incorporate carbs such as grains and fruits and I'm also a happier person when I do so. Not eating carbs(fruits, grains), I'm grumpy, and I seem to always hit a plateau once I've lost 8-10 pounds. I do cut out white foods(as of recently) and sweets(unless dark chocolate), but I will eat them on occasion if I feel like it. The key for me is eating more of the good stuff(which includes healthy carbs) and less of the bad stuff(white stuff, and junk food), but I won't completely cut it out because I want to enjoy life. I believe that it would be too difficult for me to cut out white stuff on the permanent basis, so eating it on occasion seems like the better option than just trying not to eat at all, it also eliminates guilt for eating it. If I go out, and I'm with friends and we want pizza, I'm going to eat a slice or two of pizza. If I'm out with friends and we want to go to a bar and drink, I might get two shots of vodka, lol. If I'm seriously craving a cupcake to the point where nothing else will fulfill that craving, I'll get the cupcake. And in all these situations, no guilt involved. Just move on and the next day eat the way I regularly eat.

Last edited by sunkisses87; 09-19-2012 at 12:44 PM..

Old 09-19-2012, 01:05 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deecbee View Post
I've also been wondering if maybe some of us are sugar/carb addicts, in which case it would be better to abstain altogether..
this is a cute one. a lot of people try to complicate dieting because they want to have excuses for their failure. eating one cupcake isnt going to do anything to you so the reaction is purely strategic. you are trying to give yourself the opportunity to blow your diet.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:56 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,939,329 times
If the lean meats and veggies are what works for you, then get to it. I feel horrible on the carbs, even the "healthy whole grains" that most everyone does fine with. Find what works for you and stick with it as best you can. "Out of sight, out of mind" works best for me. I don't bring things I don't want tempting me into the house. I have lots of quick "go to" snacks like fresh veggies ready and waiting so I'm not tempted by other things.

Since you mention the horribly slow metabolism, then I would suggest getting yourself weight training ASAP. That was the only way I broke through the same type of issue - I was going crazy with the aerobic exercise and getting nowhere and even stalled on South Beach while bicycling 6-10 hours weekly. I only got the results I wanted when I started getting the bulk of my carbs from veggies and low-glycemic fruits and got into the weights.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:21 PM

Those of you who feel horrible on grains--do you have gluten intolerance? I'm wondering because of those I know of that feel horrible on grains, all had gluten problems. I don't eat grain bread that often, but brown rice, oats, whole wheat flour, etc I feel fine with. I do get most of my carbs from fruits and veggies, also dairy(soy milk and greek yogurt) but I eat brown rice for breakfast every morning and a sweet potato on occasion with dinner--I don't eat grain bread, or bready items that often, maybe a few times a week at the most. But I feel horrible when I'm only eating veggies, and lean meat. Every time I try doing that, I only lose a certain amount then stall, and to top it off everyone comments on how I seem more clutter-brained(not myself, neglectful, etc) and grumpy. When I'm eating fruits, and getting grains in(my brown rice breakfast) I'm much happier, I have more energy and I feel optimal. Kudos to those of you who are able to only eat meat and vegetables and still maintain a happy disposition lol.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:32 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,369,711 times
I just ate three chocolate bars.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommodonahue View Post
I just ate three chocolate bars.
lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness