Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 11:00 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,689,273 times

Advertisements

The only people who are outraged over BMI are fat people. Non fat people shrug it off. And sorry folks, it is appropriate as a GENERAL guideline for non active people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 11:39 AM

3,942 posts, read 6,859,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
The only people who are outraged over BMI are fat people. Non fat people shrug it off. And sorry folks, it is appropriate as a GENERAL guideline for non active people.
If by "general" you mean a standard idea based on the average person. I agree. Still, it will never correctly measure how "healthy" someone is. Everyone knows it does not take into account muscle mass. So theoretically Arnold Schwarzenegger had a BMI of 31.0% when he won his Mr. Olympia title in 1980. (6'1" @ 235). Judging by its measurement, he is obese. Poor Arnold.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:06 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,781,199 times
Quote:
i see the most complaining from people who are muscular so they come out as obese in BMI even when they may be relatively lean. my guess is the fat muscle guys also complain, but they are still fat.

i think BMI is reasonable enough for the average person. but what does it matter to the avergae person anyway? you can look in a mirror and see your fatness.

Old 09-28-2012, 01:07 PM

4,644 posts, read 4,921,297 times
The problem is that people, including almost everyone in this thread, don't what BMI actually is.

It's not a measure of a single person's health.
It's a statistical measure of a population.

Say you have 7,000,000 people and you want to know how the health fares in general. Are you going to whip out the calipers for every single one? However, with a smaller sample, you can statistically certain of the population's BMI and that correlates to health.

Or you are a health insurance provider with 35 million subscribers. You can use height and weight data collected at checkups and reported back to you to find the general health of your entire subscriber population and adjust your rates accordingly.

Old 09-28-2012, 03:49 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,697,298 times
I hear a lot of people talking about weight and compulsivley weighting themselves at least one a day to see if they have lost a half pound. At least BMI is a step up from simply weighing yourself.

A better tool would take into consideration your waist size, but it is difficult to get an accurate waist size.

Old 09-28-2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
If by "general" you mean a standard idea based on the average person. I agree. Still, it will never correctly measure how "healthy" someone is. Everyone knows it does not take into account muscle mass. So theoretically Arnold Schwarzenegger had a BMI of 31.0% when he won his Mr. Olympia title in 1980. (6'1" @ 235). Judging by its measurement, he is obese. Poor Arnold.
It was never intended to be a health measure, and I am pretty sure Arnold was never outraged by it. Like I said, only fat people get upset about BMI.

Old 09-28-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i see the most complaining from people who are muscular so they come out as obese in BMI even when they may be relatively lean. my guess is the fat muscle guys also complain, but they are still fat.

i think BMI is reasonable enough for the average person. but what does it matter to the avergae person anyway? you can look in a mirror and see your fatness.
i have NEVER heard a muscular man complain, they always talk body fat %, not BMI.

Old 09-28-2012, 04:11 PM

387 posts, read 1,046,942 times
In the absence of the ability to measure body fat with calipers, I believe waist/hip ratio is a good indicator.

However, if you lived through the 70's, you might remember the Kellogg's cereal commercial that asked "Can you pinch an inch?" Forget about an inch nowadays most people can grab a handful! Back in the days before Supersize and HFCS and frankenfood, most people were considerably thinner. There were only one or two overweight kids in my class. It was so unusual to be really overweight that the "pinch an inch" standard was a good reminder that you needed to cut back.

Old 09-28-2012, 08:42 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,781,199 times
Quote:
i have NEVER heard a muscular man complain, they always talk body fat %, not BMI.
they arent going to talk about BMI regulalry because they dont feel it applies to them. but if you asked them or they happen to talk about it, they wont like it. i believe a couple of guys here have mentioned that it claims they are obese even though they are lean but muscular.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:30 PM

9,016 posts, read 13,864,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenncmom View Post
In the absence of the ability to measure body fat with calipers, I believe waist/hip ratio is a good indicator.

However, if you lived through the 70's, you might remember the Kellogg's cereal commercial that asked "Can you pinch an inch?" Forget about an inch nowadays most people can grab a handful! Back in the days before Supersize and HFCS and frankenfood, most people were considerably thinner. There were only one or two overweight kids in my class. It was so unusual to be really overweight that the "pinch an inch" standard was a good reminder that you needed to cut back.
I don't think WHr is accurate either.
I'm obese,but I have a Whr of 0.69. That means I'm healthy according to Whr calulators.
I'm at a Bf % of 36%. That's obese.
My Bmi is 28. According to that,I'm simply overweight,not obese.

I'm confused about the whole thing as anyone else.

There are people who are thin but have a high body fat percentage,but are they obese?
Case in point: a 130 pound,5ft6in female with a BF% 36. According to the WHO,a woman is clinically obese when she has a BF% over 30%.
Her Bmi is 20,which would indicate she is extremely healthy.
her WHR is .75,which is a healthy range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness