Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 04:14 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,594,808 times

Advertisements

This may sound funny, but I've been deadlifting off and on for a few years now, so I'm not exactly new at it, but not until last Thursday night at the gym did I try to pick up more weight than I actually could for the first time ever. I was messing around with some lower weight for sets of 5...255-265-275-285-295, then I think I jumped up to 315 and did another set of 5 and it felt kind of easy, so I said what the hell, throw some 25's on the end of that see what happens. So i picked up 365 x 1 and it came off the ground pretty well. By far more than I'd ever tried before. So then I was kind of pumped and threw some 35's on the end, and now I can sense people are starting to look at me like I'm nuts. Took a good rest and tried to pick up 385 - haha...nope. Couldn't even get the damn thing off the ground. Maybe in a few weeks I'll give it another try.

Do many of you guys that do heavier lifts such as DL, squat, etc, regularly test your maximum ability or is that something that happens only occasionally when you're in a wild mood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 06:34 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,630,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
This may sound funny, but I've been deadlifting off and on for a few years now, so I'm not exactly new at it, but not until last Thursday night at the gym did I try to pick up more weight than I actually could for the first time ever. I was messing around with some lower weight for sets of 5...255-265-275-285-295, then I think I jumped up to 315 and did another set of 5 and it felt kind of easy, so I said what the hell, throw some 25's on the end of that see what happens. So i picked up 365 x 1 and it came off the ground pretty well. By far more than I'd ever tried before. So then I was kind of pumped and threw some 35's on the end, and now I can sense people are starting to look at me like I'm nuts. Took a good rest and tried to pick up 385 - haha...nope. Couldn't even get the damn thing off the ground. Maybe in a few weeks I'll give it another try.

Do many of you guys that do heavier lifts such as DL, squat, etc, regularly test your maximum ability or is that something that happens only occasionally when you're in a wild mood?
Most certainly. I haven't done it this year but I will soon. Last year it was part of my reimen. I was right around your neighborhood I had about that same amount and I have managed to lift it for one rep but it doesn't always work. the onky difference with me is that I only do that at home that way I save myself the embarrassment if I fail. Just be safe when you do it. There is nothing wrong with challenging yourself.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:53 PM

You raise an interesting point. I guess I've stopped being embarrassed if I miss on a rep. I'll set the safely bars in the squat rack and rep out until it pins me in the bottom position. Almost nobody else ever does that I notice. 315 pinned me a couple weeks ago and I made a joke about it to some cute girl who was dead lifting right next to me. Oh well. No guts no glory.

Old 03-17-2013, 01:19 PM

71 posts, read 115,814 times
Its definitely good to go for more weight than you can handle once in a while just to get the feel for it. I am never embarrassed if I can't lift it... just motivated! That said, I have not done something like this with DL'ing though as it is pretty hard on your body even with good form... With DL's, a max for me would be what weight I could rep 3-4 times minimum. Lately I have been working on grip, I have been going chalk-less on worn down bars and I start slipping in the mid 300 range. Someone let me try chalk, couldn't believe the difference and planning on picking up some this week.

How do you DL? I use the ground as start/stop for each rep. Do you do stiff legs to get a feel for real heavy weight?

Old 03-17-2013, 01:51 PM

19,041 posts, read 27,607,234 times
Friend, hear me out. As a guy who is 58 and does very well, and started weight lifting at 27.

Who, also, happens to be a Licensed/Certified Orthotist.

QUIT DEADLIFTS IMMEDIATELY!!!!! Those are one of the worst known exercises that directly damage lower back. I spoke, will be chastised, but I made you aware!!

Do leg presses instead, on reverse leg press machine. WITH YOUR BACK SECURED ON THE PLATFORM. As of the core strength for your lower back, which is extremely important, do either well exercise, or use dedicated machine they should have at your gym.

Once again, do NOT deadlift. You were warned.

Old 03-17-2013, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsniox View Post
Its definitely good to go for more weight than you can handle once in a while just to get the feel for it. I am never embarrassed if I can't lift it... just motivated! That said, I have not done something like this with DL'ing though as it is pretty hard on your body even with good form... With DL's, a max for me would be what weight I could rep 3-4 times minimum. Lately I have been working on grip, I have been going chalk-less on worn down bars and I start slipping in the mid 300 range. Someone let me try chalk, couldn't believe the difference and planning on picking up some this week.

How do you DL? I use the ground as start/stop for each rep. Do you do stiff legs to get a feel for real heavy weight?
I've never used chalk or straps. Occasionally I have grip issues if it's hot in the gym and my hands get sweaty. When I do reps I touch the plates to the ground. The first rep always feels a little odd to me because of the lower starting position.

Lately I have added some stiff legs with much lighter weight after I'm done with the "regular" sets. Those really blast your hamstrings if you do them right.

Old 03-17-2013, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Friend, hear me out. As a guy who is 58 and does very well, and started weight lifting at 27.

QUIT DEADLIFTS IMMEDIATELY!!!!! Those are one of the worst known exercises that directly damage lower back. I spoke, will be chastised, but I made you aware!!

Do leg presses instead, on reverse leg press machine. WITH YOUR BACK SECURED ON THE PLATFORM. As of the core strength for your lower back, which is extremely important, do either well exercise, or use dedicated machine they should have at your gym.

See I just don't like and don't use the machines that restrict your body's natural mechanics...smith machines and leg press machines and such.

Old 03-17-2013, 04:35 PM

157 posts, read 185,828 times
I dont agree, not at all. That's how injuries occur. you put yourself at high risk for it, and for what? Man, the records are over 1000 lbs, and those records were not set by guys who did a lot of risking of injuries. :-) they took the years of time needed to properly build themselves up to such poundage.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:28 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post

Any exercise, done in bad form, will result in injuries.

If someone does not know how to do a dead lift properly, they should not be doing it until they learn the proper form.

Leg presses are in no way a substitute for a dead lift, or any exercise; a leg press is for leg pressing.

The dead lift is the basic of picking something off the floor, the foundation of strength training, and general good health as a person should know how to properly lift things.

Do you have any stats on how many injuries occur as the result of a proper dead lift? I know plenty of people get back injuries, but I never met a person who got one from dead lifting.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:31 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
Once a year doing my 5x5 routine. But the routine I am doing now has me hitting my PR's once a month or every other month depending if I get the lift or not.

You should read up on how to test your max, you were doing it wrong.

Last edited by boxus; 03-17-2013 at 08:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness