Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 09:58 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,532,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post
So why don't these people do low impact cardio that would really benefit them--the elliptical, spin classes, anything. Why do people insist on running when they no longer can?
There are people who for various reasons might need to avoid high-impact, but regular weight-bearing activities are essential for building and maintaining bone density. Brisk walking and slow jogging/running are excellent exercises.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 10:03 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,342,198 times
Some experts say that walking one mile burns almost the same amount of calories as jogging one mile; only difference is time. Walking is a good way of exercising, and can aid in losing weight, but not nearly as effective as a good diet.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:12 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Perhaps they enjoy it.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:30 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,024,950 times
Quote:
Why do people insist on running when they no longer can?
Obviously because, by running, they can post/boast on facebook, whether it's a 5k or a marathon. They can "check in" and sit back while the comments praising them come in........I'm only half kidding about this, I kind of feel like a lot of people (at least in my social network) get into the marathon/race thing simply for the purpose of posting pictures and getting credit.

I'm not a fan of slow, long distance running...not that it's bad for you. I mean, sure any exercise is better than none. But give me sprints, jump rope, jumpings jacks, and box jumps any day.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:22 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subPrimeTime View Post
Obviously because, by running, they can post/boast on facebook, whether it's a 5k or a marathon. They can "check in" and sit back while the comments praising them come in........I'm only half kidding about this, I kind of feel like a lot of people (at least in my social network) get into the marathon/race thing simply for the purpose of posting pictures and getting credit.

I'm not a fan of slow, long distance running...not that it's bad for you. I mean, sure any exercise is better than none. But give me sprints, jump rope, jumpings jacks, and box jumps any day.
Do people still actually do jumping jacks? The last time I did jumping jacks was in my junior high gym class in 1970. This was one of those exercises that is a complete waste of time. Seriously, you are not doing cardiovascular exercise with the things you mentioned. And who said long distance running has to be slow. You can incorporate sprints into long distance running and you will be much less likely to pull a muscle since you will be sufficiently warmed up. Box jumps are good for increasing your jumping ability if that is your goal.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:22 PM

2,046 posts, read 5,587,756 times
Quote:
I can't speak to the shufflers I see in my neighborhood sometimes, but as for the people I know personally who do this, it's not that they are not smart, because they are, but more that they're stubborn. As for me, I am one of those who can't run, and so I don't. Rather than hobble along doing something of little to no cardio benefit, I have found low impact alternatives that get me to the desired intensity level. -70 lbs. later, I think I can claim a modest bit of success. The shufflers I've known claim to want to lose weight, but they never do. But they're still out there running every day...

I am getting better everyday. I started unable to run but a few steps. Now I can run about a block, it pains me but I am getting better. I have lost weight doing what I do and I am proud of it. I am getting healthier with every step I take. Sorry you have to judge but I will continue to run regardless of how you think I look.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:23 PM

2,046 posts, read 5,587,756 times
Quote:

CrossFit? That is what I am doing. Began at over 200 pounds and now at 160!

Old 07-06-2013, 11:46 PM

774 posts, read 1,693,874 times
The more pained or pathetic or out-of-shape they look, the more readily I tip my hat, because what they're doing is the hardest of all.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:46 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Obviously because, by running, they can post/boast on facebook, whether it's a 5k or a marathon. They can "check in" and sit back while the comments praising them come in
Or perhaps they've been listening to people in this very forum who carp about how walking isn't "real" exercise, so they figure to get "real" exercise they have to run, now matter how lousy they feel while they're doing it.

Old 07-07-2013, 05:06 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
If you have enough time to judge others on how they exercise, shouldn't YOU be running faster? At least these people are off their butts and doing something. We all have to build up to certain levels, and frankly, you have no idea if these people are in pain unless you ask them. Have you ever watched a race? Look at the faces of the competitors. Whether the fastest or the slowest, no one looks like they are having a tremendous amount of fun. Stop looking at other people and focus on your workout.

LOL I can only imagine what people think when they see me working out...it's my time to destress and clear the cobwebs from my brain..I do my best thinking sweating my ass off on the ellpitical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness