Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 10:15 PM

400 posts, read 1,918,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
Thanks for the tip on Target, I'll have to go check it out.
I buy my leggings & bike shorts online, ABA (A big Attitude); it's the same brand worn by the Biggest Losers. They are really comfortable.
Sure thing. Not sure I could afford the leggings from ABA so I will just have to keep my eye out at Target.

Quote:
Originally Posted by football45013 View Post
I'm an avid jogger, but when it's humid, it even affects me. It tends to sap the energy out of me a lot quicker which means I get tired quicker. My advice for you is to just pace yourself and take as many breaks as needed. It's humid around my area also right now, but I still get my daily jog in. I've just been waiting until late evening. I usually do about 2 miles straight. But with this humidity, I've been doing just doing 1 mile, and then I will take a break and then do the second mile. I still get my 2 miles in, but at a slower pace.
So glad to hear that I'm not the only one who is effected by humidity. I was tempted to try to walk tonight but it was just too humid outside. Now it's 79 degrees but it's also past 11 o'clock so I think I'll wait until tomorrow to try again. I may try to get up early with my two cats, although I have a hard time waking up that early (5:30 a.m.) because then it means my nights are shorter too (common sense I guess).

I agree with you that pacing is important. I am impressed to read that you and others can run in humid weather and are careful enough to avoid succumbing to heat stroke symptoms.

I know my 1.5 miles isn't much, but it's where I"m at and if I keep at that pace every day, then maybe in a month I'll be able to walk 2.5 miles without getting episodes of exercise induced asthma which happened a couple of times already.

I used to be thin my whole life and it wasn't until the last 6 years that I really became overweight (thyroid problem, stress and high cortisol levels, emotional eating). I used to play tennis, and could actually jog a few miles way back when. I used to rollerblade around one of the 3 mile lakes here, and not be too winded afterward. I miss that person and want to get back to being her again. I know it takes time, watching calories and pacing myself. But this humidity threw me for a loop because I suddenly thought of it as a barrier to getting my daily walking in. But I'm grateful to posters like you and the others who've chimed in with your own experience working out in humidity, and the suggestions you have really motivates me to try different venues too (stay inside, community pool, gym). It's also the post-effects of being in grad school for 3 years where my whole life was writing papers, attending class, and a lot of stress-related overeating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 10:44 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,938,833 times
I was jogging tonight in humidity central and can really sympathize with you. I was at least 60 lb more than I am now when I first started exercising 10 years ago.

I prefer to exercise at night versus getting up at the crack of dawn. I have a little headlamp that I think I bought at Lowe's, and I will even clip a little red blinking light (normally on my bike) onto the back of me while out after dusk, just for extra "insurance."

When I began walking and riding my bike, I had that nasty thigh chafing problem. You can use Bodyglide to take care of that and be so much more comfortable. When my problem got less severe as I got in shape, I switched to using Aquaphor for this purpose.

Since you get the "wind" while bicycling, I am always cooler on my bike, even with my helmet. I also look for trails in the woods or near the water for walking, if possible, because just getting out of the sun even in the evening makes me feel much cooler.

If you can find an exercise buddy, that too would help. I have a wonderful friend with central AC in her apartment, and we will get together and use medicine balls, dumbbells, kettlebells, or just do some basic calisthenic-type workouts when the weather doesn't permit us to be outside.

I also like the "cooling towels" that are sold in the home improvement stores. The discount store towels are really tiny - I like the "man sized" ones LOL

If going out to walk, I like to put so many ice cubes in my water that it is more ice, less water, then by the time I drink, it is still very cool. Also love insulated bottles so the water stays cooler longer. I have also been known to tuck a few cubes in my sports bra if I am hot before I even start (had no AC at home for years).

Wearing a ventilated hat (Love the Headsweats ones, I won this in a raffle, don't know how $$ it is) or a visor or handband helps me keep the sweat out of my eyes.

Lots of luck! I am loving exercise these days and it has totally changed my life for the better. I wish the same for you

Old 07-08-2013, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_s View Post
I was jogging tonight in humidity central and can really sympathize with you. I was at least 60 lb more than I am now when I first started exercising 10 years ago.

I prefer to exercise at night versus getting up at the crack of dawn. I have a little headlamp that I think I bought at Lowe's, and I will even clip a little red blinking light (normally on my bike) onto the back of me while out after dusk, just for extra "insurance."

When I began walking and riding my bike, I had that nasty thigh chafing problem. You can use Bodyglide to take care of that and be so much more comfortable. When my problem got less severe as I got in shape, I switched to using Aquaphor for this purpose.

Since you get the "wind" while bicycling, I am always cooler on my bike, even with my helmet. I also look for trails in the woods or near the water for walking, if possible, because just getting out of the sun even in the evening makes me feel much cooler.

If you can find an exercise buddy, that too would help. I have a wonderful friend with central AC in her apartment, and we will get together and use medicine balls, dumbbells, kettlebells, or just do some basic calisthenic-type workouts when the weather doesn't permit us to be outside.

I also like the "cooling towels" that are sold in the home improvement stores. The discount store towels are really tiny - I like the "man sized" ones LOL

If going out to walk, I like to put so many ice cubes in my water that it is more ice, less water, then by the time I drink, it is still very cool. Also love insulated bottles so the water stays cooler longer. I have also been known to tuck a few cubes in my sports bra if I am hot before I even start (had no AC at home for years).

Wearing a ventilated hat (Love the Headsweats ones, I won this in a raffle, don't know how $$ it is) or a visor or handband helps me keep the sweat out of my eyes.

Lots of luck! I am loving exercise these days and it has totally changed my life for the better. I wish the same for you
Thanks for your post Karen! It made me happy to read! I can't wait to get back to my thin/fit, happier self. It is a slow process for sure but I won't give up until I get there.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:20 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Maven View Post
So the summer months in Minnesota are short and sweet, and very humid. June was a dry month, but July's been sticky and I've been too scared to try to walk or bike at my usual preferred time of 8:00 p.m. in the evenings. I carry a sports drink with me and usually eat nuts and a banana afterward (I did this in June anyway). But since July 1st, I've stopped exercising outside because I don't want to get heat stroke or get severely dehydrated.

Anyone have any advice? Oh, and realistically I can't get up to exercise earlier than 6 a.m. because I already am a light sleeper and I fall asleep around 11 p.m. and wake up automatically at 6 a.m. without an alarm. So I am not going to get up at 4 or 5 a.m. to exercise for 30 minutes. Realistically I just can't do that. So please only offer advice as to what I can do to exercise in humid weather so I'm not stuck inside for the rest of summer. I'm 50 pounds overweight so I have to be careful of what exercise I do outside anyway. Please take that into consideration if you respond to this post. Thanks.
Some good advice here but I will add a couple of things. Your body actually get acclimated to heat and humidity rather quickly. It is not fun the first few times you are out there but you will start seeing a difference after 3-4 workouts.

Walking out of an air conditioned building can make the humidity seem much worse than it actually is and discourage you from exercising outside. If you can spend some time outside before you exercise it might help with the mental aspect.

I spent a summer in Minneapolis and ran around the lakes. The blackflies were the biggest nuisance.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Some good advice here but I will add a couple of things. Your body actually get acclimated to heat and humidity rather quickly. It is not fun the first few times you are out there but you will start seeing a difference after 3-4 workouts.

Walking out of an air conditioned building can make the humidity seem much worse than it actually is and discourage you from exercising outside. If you can spend some time outside before you exercise it might help with the mental aspect.

I spent a summer in Minneapolis and ran around the lakes. The blackflies were the biggest nuisance.
You have a good point. I need to spend short amounts of time outside when its humid so I get used to it.

I agree with you that the black flies here are horrible the closer you get to the city lakes.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:03 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,712,660 times
I would listen to your body. I am healthy but sensitive to extreme temps. I know you said you didn't want to get up earlier but you could make it not a pain by just chopping your workout into two segments. Have a 10-15 minute session in the morning and finish at your regular night time session. That way its not a huge adjustment.

You could also get a stationary bike and just do it all at 8pm. Half outdoors and then do some biking to cool down indoors.If you can do a higher intensity on the bike than walking, you can exercise less often to get your minimum exercise needs. If you are prone to chafey thighs monostat makes an anti chafe cream.

Monistat Soothing Care Powder Gel | drugstore.com

Another option would to be focusing on muscle building in the summer with weights or bands indoors, while getting your minimum cardio workout of 20 minutes on your walk. This combo along with proper diet will probably help with the weight loss more than cardio alone. Good Luck!

Old 07-10-2013, 06:27 AM

5,893 posts, read 12,812,715 times
I need to lose even more than 50 pounds and have multiple health issues that limit the types of exercise I can do. I do best working out in the water as I have more range of motion in water than I do on dry land.

I also live in the South in a humid climate and don't do well outdoors. One thing I have at home that is less costly than a bike or treadmill and has great benefits to your lymphatic system is an Urban Rebounder (mini trampoline). I sometimes just bounce and sometimes jog on it. It's easy on my joints and kind of fun.

The couch in my living room is at an angle, and I set it up behind the couch facing the TV. My grandkids enjoy it too -- so much that I have to set a time and make them take turns.

I understand your frustration in finding workout clothes. I have found some in plus sizes that I really liked at JC Penney, and sometimes they have great sales on them. I know people who've found some at super Walmarts, but I have not been lucky there. There are several places online that sell them, but a lot of them are just not for people on a limited budget!

Old 07-10-2013, 06:56 AM

6,460 posts, read 7,796,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odysseus32 View Post
Didn't say I was a caveman? I'm just pointing out OP is making excuses. He doesn't want to get hot, he doesn't want to put in the work.

Guess what, I am asthmatic also, I'm overweight by society's standards. I don't go online and look for ways around working out, which is all OP is doing. Drink water, make sure you're eating below your caloric needs, and get outside and move. The more calories you burn, the more weight you will lose. It's great OP is trying to better himself. He has taken the first step which is more than most of society can say. He cares. Next step is to stop making excuses.

Even if the heat and humidity thing is a legitimate cause for concern, he can still wake up before 6 and workout. Many people that are "light sleepers" or have insomnia do it and adjust. It's called a lifestyle change, and without one he isn't going to make any progress. Get up at 5 one morning, just to try it out and see how he feels. His body will adjust a lot quicker than he is giving it credit for.

I don't really care if you're more fit than me, as I've already said I'm not in great shape.
You posted about how you ran x number of miles and then cycled andother X number. Why? Who cares! The OP is obviously at a different level than you are. Her body responds differently. Your post of I did this so she should be able to do that isn't logical, fitness is not linear between people.

Have some sense and maybe a bit of compassion rather thatn immediately jumping to "you are making excuses". I know people make excuses. They do it more often than not, I get it. Although I don't think the OP is making excuses in this case, even if she were I would say to you that calling her out is not helpful. It just beats people down even if they are making excuses.

Use what you know to help. listen to what a person is saying and then respond with something that may help rather than something that makes them defensive. You know why? Because most poeple simply aren't strong enough internally to overcome. They'll give up, and it'll be more likely that someone gives up when they are bombarded with things like "you are making excuses".

You have to give a person sound, reasonable, and realistic information so they can use that to work through their own obstacles and overcome them under their own power and make that change and choice by themselves. Motivation won't help very much - it's short term, berating won't help either. Concentrate on providing practical and realistic information that helps a person overcome their own obstacles. That's all if you want to help someone.

What you did in your post was make much more of a statement about yourself and how you are able to work through it, and then dump on the OP because of what you perceived as her weakness, and her being weaker than you, which you have disdain for. Who knows, maybe it's true. Maybe she is mentally weaker than you. So is that a good reason to kick her? Or is that more being a fitness bully? read the posts again, and take note of her reactions to yours and others liek yours, then think about it and ask yourself...do you see the OP exhibiting some vulnerability? Are you taking advatage of that vulnerability? Don't be a bully because you are stronger.

Best of luck

Old 07-10-2013, 10:36 AM

8,695 posts, read 11,081,311 times
Quote:

How do you pace yourself to drink so much? Don't you have to go to the bathroom a lot??

Quote:
Wow thanks for sharing your weight loss story here. It's inspirational to me to read.

Yeah I don't think I'm used to the humidity yet but like you said, the more time I spend walking in it, the quicker I"ll adapt and get used to it. I tend to overheat quickly; get dizzy, leg cramps, chills, headache, sometimes I feel nauseous too then I know I either am dehydrated, overheated and probably have heat stroke or something. I went to see an exercise doctor and he told me after some tests (I had to run on a treadmill and got overheated!) that I will probably always react to exercise that way, and that I should always make sure I have a sports drink and if it gets bad, to take a cold shower immediately when I get home. .

The key is to drink the perfect amount of water. You body will sweat out all the water you drink. When you dehydrate, its usually too late. When you overhydrate, you need to go to the bathroom and the body will push the excess out. I am a runner who have run races and bike races well over 15 hours in a single day and not once did I use the restroom. This just takes practice and knowing your body.

I assume you saw a cardiologist? How is your diet? Sometimes eating the right foods will help the cramps.

I run in all different weather....100 degree temperature, zero degree temperature.....it takes about 2-4 weeks for the body to adjust....in my experience, your body will adjust faster than your mind will adjust. If you body is pushing that hard, just slow down. Even elite athletes go a little slower in hot weather. Know your body.

I also have asthma and a flat foot which makes it challenging to run. Also, I use to be 50lbs heavier. It took many years of hard work and determination to change all that. Now I run marathons, 50k, 50 miles races, triathlons, bike tours, etc. I believe I've seen it all....300lb runners, blind athletes, peg leg runners, wheelchair athletes, 90 yr old athletes, etc...all on the race course. Keep your head held high and just keep on working on it. Everyone has to start somewhere!

Old 07-10-2013, 11:32 AM

6,460 posts, read 7,796,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
The key is to drink the perfect amount of water. You body will sweat out all the water you drink. When you dehydrate, its usually too late. When you overhydrate, you need to go to the bathroom and the body will push the excess out. I am a runner who have run races and bike races well over 15 hours in a single day and not once did I use the restroom. This just takes practice and knowing your body.

I assume you saw a cardiologist? How is your diet? Sometimes eating the right foods will help the cramps.

I run in all different weather....100 degree temperature, zero degree temperature.....it takes about 2-4 weeks for the body to adjust....in my experience, your body will adjust faster than your mind will adjust. If you body is pushing that hard, just slow down. Even elite athletes go a little slower in hot weather. Know your body.

I also have asthma and a flat foot which makes it challenging to run. Also, I use to be 50lbs heavier. It took many years of hard work and determination to change all that. Now I run marathons, 50k, 50 miles races, triathlons, bike tours, etc. I believe I've seen it all....300lb runners, blind athletes, peg leg runners, wheelchair athletes, 90 yr old athletes, etc...all on the race course. Keep your head held high and just keep on working on it. Everyone has to start somewhere!
Agree with everything here.

Although I haven't done 15 hr events, I have done 5-7 hrs stage races for 3-5 days (depending on the race). That was a long time ago but sirtiger is correct, if you know your body you can hydrate to a very effectively balanced level. I hedge the risk and tend to overhydrate however because of the weather factor. If it's hotter than I expected, I want to be prepared. If I overhydrate I may need to get rid of the excess but it's never affected my race results (I won't go into my secret but anyone who's raced for that much time and needed to go knows how to go without losing time). ONe also needs to have a good sense of what you've been consuming. Some foods provide much more hydration than others. So there is a lot to take into account when trying to strike the perfect balance of hydration.

The thing is getting to know your body and that takes time, experience, and awareness - a good amount of each. And it doesn't happen immediately. Your body acclimates to hydration levels, so since I've been at it for a while I can drink a whole lot more without needing to urinate than most others.

Once you are intimate with your body (grow up people), there are many benefits other than balancing hydration needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness