Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 11:36 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times

Advertisements

Drinking beer after exercise could be more beneficial than water, according to a new Spanish study which says it helps perspiring exercisers regain liquid better than water. The Granada University study also said beer bubbles help quench thirst, and the carbohydrates help replace lost calories. (Who knew?)

In tests carried out over several months, 25 college students performed strenuous exercises in 104-degree heat. Half of the students were given beer to help them recover, while the other half got water. The hydration effect of the beer was judged to be “slightly better” than the water.

Newsmax.com - Beer Beats Water After Exercise
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2007, 03:49 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times
Hmm.........all i remember was when i used to consume Beer when i was in my teens and early 20's it always dehydrated me.....i.e.cottonmouth....

Old 11-26-2007, 11:52 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,991,883 times
This past summer, my wife and I did some hiking in the mountains near Crested Butte, CO. Since we did a longer hike than we originally planned, we ran out of H2O with 3 or 4 miles to go. At the bottom of the trail we were hot and thirsty. We drove straight to the brewery and had a couple glasses of beer. Drinking H2O was never a part of our thought process. Nothing like a cold beer on a hot summer day to quench a raging thirst!

blessings...Franco

Old 11-26-2007, 11:57 AM

2,493 posts, read 4,396,923 times
Alcohol dehydrates.

I think the best thing after exercise is a banana and some water. Beer and wine companies like us to think that their are health benefits to drinking, but I sorta doubt it.

Old 11-26-2007, 02:51 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,335,694 times
Beer has the carbs, sugar and calories.

Water doesn't.

Old 11-26-2007, 03:24 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,981,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
Alcohol dehydrates.

I think the best thing after exercise is a banana and some water. Beer and wine companies like us to think that their are health benefits to drinking, but I doubt it.
I believe the above is most accurate. I remember when a French study revealed that drinking red wine was good for you - the same thing came to my mind... Wine is a major industry in France and that one study probably helped boost sales of red wine significantly.

When it comes down to it alcohol is a poison. Perhaps not a strong one, but one nonetheless. All this baloney about it being good for you is ridiculous. If you exercise and then drink alcohol (instead of something like water) you're not doing your body much good.

Old 11-26-2007, 03:49 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,991,883 times
mbuszu wrote:
When it comes down to it alcohol is a poison. Perhaps not a strong one, but one nonetheless. All this baloney about it being good for you is ridiculous. If you exercise and then drink alcohol (instead of something like water) you're not doing your body much good.
I'm inclined to agree with you on this. When we headed to the brewery after our long hike, it was simply a pleasurable way to clench our thirst...no health benefits expected. We both drank great volumes of H2O later that evening to re-hydrate our bodies.

blessings.....Franco

Old 11-27-2007, 08:37 AM

41,940 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Beer always beats water.

I'm just sayin' ...

Old 11-27-2007, 09:52 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,757,854 times
Us beer league hockey players have ALWAYS known this! No need for a scientific journal entry to convice us. :P:P:P

Old 11-27-2007, 06:21 PM

38 posts, read 154,244 times
Default Alcohol and Dehydration

Now I'm a fan of beer and all, but ... alcohol does dehydrate, in fact dehydration is a major factor in causing hangovers. Down as much water as you can before you go to sleep after a night of drinking and you'll notice the difference. (Although that's of course not a remedy for irresponsible drinking and the possible consequences of such.)

The study may be a half-truth. It may be possible that alcohol rehydrates a person fairly effectively initially (although I have my doubts, but who knows), but it certainly isn't ideal for rehydration overall. To break down and expel alcohol from the body, extra water is used. The body attempts to get rid of it as quickly as possible. This is a large cause of the dehydration effect. I'm sure that any initial benefits from drinking beer after working-out are offset by the overall effect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness