Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 09:42 PM

361 posts, read 724,843 times

Advertisements

90% of the threads here are about weight loss so I had to create this one.

After weighing myself at the doctor's office yesterday I realized that I lost 5 pounds in the past couple of months. I started a job and I also stopped going to the gym since I started working. That must be why I've lost so much. I was at my highest weight at 115 and now I'm now down to 110.

Does anyone know a good regiment I can follow that's going to help me regain? My ideal weight would be at 120 but at this point I'll be happy with just 115.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2013, 10:06 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,154,604 times
Could your doctor give you some pointers specific to your personal chemistry?

I'm similar to you, I sometimes lose weight without meaning or wanting to. Sometimes I forget to eat, although I LOVE food. I'm also down 6-7 lbs in the last couple of months and I would rather not be!

I typically eat a pretty low-carb diet. I find if I up my carbohydrate intake, I gain weight pretty quickly. The down-side is that it makes me feel a bit sluggish, but it does work for me. Pasta, Subway sandwiches, potatoes, sweet potatoes, rice, tons of vegetables, plenty of healthy fats and oil. I don't know if this will work for you but you can eat pretty healthy this way if you avoid processed food and saturated fat.

Old 12-21-2013, 06:23 AM

16,961 posts, read 17,330,399 times
fat/water or muscle weight? if it muscle, forget gaining 5-10lbs in a week or two; more like 6-12 months

If its fat weight? its quite easy; eat a lot of high calorie foods and do little exercising. Foods like avocados, nuts, bananas, potatoes/yams, eggs w/yolk, etc

Old 12-25-2013, 11:39 AM

793 posts, read 1,419,149 times
5lbs of fat per week, let's see.

Let's say you need 2200 calories a day to maintain weight.
To gain 5lbs of fat in a week, you would need to eat roughly 2500 extra calories per day.
So, 4700 calories per day.

It's possible, by eating entire bags of potato chips, large sugary sodas... it would be a bit of work to do it.

Now if you want some of that to be muscle, you'll have to pay a little more attention to what you eat, and you can gain about half a pound of muscle per week, assuming you're male. quarter pound if female. You'll also have to do weight training.

Old 12-25-2013, 12:54 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,604,423 times
Yes, especially after Christmas.

Old 12-25-2013, 08:38 PM

361 posts, read 724,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Could your doctor give you some pointers specific to your personal chemistry?
I typically eat a pretty low-carb diet. I find if I up my carbohydrate intake, I gain weight pretty quickly. The down-side is that it makes me feel a bit sluggish, but it does work for me. Pasta, Subway sandwiches, potatoes, sweet potatoes, rice, tons of vegetables, plenty of healthy fats and oil. I don't know if this will work for you but you can eat pretty healthy this way if you avoid processed food and saturated fat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
If its fat weight? its quite easy; eat a lot of high calorie foods and do little exercising. Foods like avocados, nuts, bananas, potatoes/yams, eggs w/yolk, etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
It's possible, by eating entire bags of potato chips, large sugary sodas... it would be a bit of work to do it.
Now if you want some of that to be muscle, you'll have to pay a little more attention to what you eat, and you can gain about half a pound of muscle per week, assuming you're male. quarter pound if female. You'll also have to do weight training.
Chiroptera-- The doctor I went to see wasn't that kind of doctor...don't think she would know. What do you mean by "healthy fats and oil"? Any example? I already eat the other stuff you mentioned but I'm not seeing any difference.
Hawaian- I guess you can call it "fat weight". There was a time I ate a lot of junk food trying to gain a few pounds... and I never gained any weight.. or fat.
2Tall--Really I'm looking for a regiment I can easily follow. I cannot eat that much as I naturally don't have a huge appetite. I need the type of food that's high in calories/fat... and something I wouldn't have to eat in big quantities in order for me to gain.

Old 12-26-2013, 08:59 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,330,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamboyante View Post
Chiroptera-- The doctor I went to see wasn't that kind of doctor...don't think she would know. What do you mean by "healthy fats and oil"? Any example? I already eat the other stuff you mentioned but I'm not seeing any difference.
Hawaian- I guess you can call it "fat weight". There was a time I ate a lot of junk food trying to gain a few pounds... and I never gained any weight.. or fat.
2Tall--Really I'm looking for a regiment I can easily follow. I cannot eat that much as I naturally don't have a huge appetite. I need the type of food that's high in calories/fat... and something I wouldn't have to eat in big quantities in order for me to gain.

You're simply not eating enough calories. You need 3500 extra calories to gain one pound of fat. Nuts and seeds are calorie dense, and can pack on some weight. Peanut butter, dark chocolate, avocados, olive oil are some great healthy alternatives.

Old 12-26-2013, 09:11 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,154,604 times
Quote:
Olive oil, mainly. It's actually the only oil I buy for cooking. And not a whole lot of meat or saturated fat. I eat meat maybe once out of every three or four meals. I do eat lots of eggs and cheese. And tons of legumes, beans and vegetables.

Google the Atkin diet, it sounds right up your alley. And once you get to the maintenance phase it is quite sustainable. A friend of mine lost about 100 lbs quite painlessly on it.

Old 12-27-2013, 06:16 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,813,679 times
Have you ever taken creatine? Creatine will increase the amount of water that you retain within your skeletal muscle cells. Because of this you have to increase the amount of water that you drink per day to at least 120 oz.

It is possible for some individuals to gain 5 to 7 pounds in two weeks because of the extra water and glucose going into the muscles.

Creatine Supplementation Increases Total Body Water Without Altering Fluid Distribution

Old 12-27-2013, 06:43 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,806,193 times
Quote:
90% of the threads here are about weight loss so I had to create this one.

After weighing myself at the doctor's office yesterday I realized that I lost 5 pounds in the past couple of months. I started a job and I also stopped going to the gym since I started working. That must be why I've lost so much. I was at my highest weight at 115 and now I'm now down to 110.

Does anyone know a good regiment I can follow that's going to help me regain? My ideal weight would be at 120 but at this point I'll be happy with just 115.

Thanks.
What is your body fat percent? That is what you should be concerned with, not your weight, unless you need to be in a certain weight class for some reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness