Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 07:33 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,986,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamboyante View Post
90% of the threads here are about weight loss so I had to create this one.

After weighing myself at the doctor's office yesterday I realized that I lost 5 pounds in the past couple of months. I started a job and I also stopped going to the gym since I started working. That must be why I've lost so much. I was at my highest weight at 115 and now I'm now down to 110.

Does anyone know a good regiment I can follow that's going to help me regain? My ideal weight would be at 120 but at this point I'll be happy with just 115.

Thanks.
The problem may be the time of day you are being weighed.

Weigh yourself when you first wake up, after you go to the bathroom, and before you eat breakfast.

This is when you will have the least amount of undigested food in your body.

If you weigh yourself at different times each day, your body may have undigested food, water, and excrement from recent meals adding to your weight, which can cause it to vary by several pounds.

So it's best to compare your weight at the same time each day, with the best time being when you first wake up.

And maybe you should purchase a decent digital bathroom scale so you can weigh yourself when you are naked?

Doctor offices often have old fashioned scales with sliding metal weights, and they also weigh you wearing clothes, shoes, etc., so I wouldn't trust the weight as being 100% accurate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 02:01 PM

793 posts, read 1,419,685 times
Do Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe.

If you are very very underweight, also follow his dietary advice..

Old 12-29-2013, 07:41 AM

361 posts, read 725,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
What is your body fat percent? That is what you should be concerned with, not your weight, unless you need to be in a certain weight class for some reason.
I don't know my body fat percent but I'm pretty sure it's almost inexistent. Why shouldn't I be concerned about my weight? I'm 5'6 and 110lbs, My goal is to be between 115 and 120lbs. Is it wrong to want to be within that range?

Thanks everyone for the inputs.

Old 12-29-2013, 11:49 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
I don't know my body fat percent but I'm pretty sure it's almost inexistent. Why shouldn't I be concerned about my weight? I'm 5'6 and 110lbs, My goal is to be between 115 and 120lbs. Is it wrong to want to be within that range?

Thanks everyone for the inputs.
You have no idea what your body fat is, I assure you it is not almost "inexistent". Why do you not go and get your body fat percent measured?

You seem to have come up with a number out of thin air, and set a goal for that number; your weight is a result of other goals, not a goal in itself unless you are competing in a weight class.

You need to lose your obsession with your weight, and concentrate on goals like body fat percent, lifting, and cardio goals.

As of now, it looks like you just want to put on 5-10 pounds of fat for really no reason. If you are at 22% body fat, why would you want to go to 23%?

Old 12-29-2013, 03:51 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,667,875 times
Quote:
You have no idea what your body fat is, I assure you it is not almost "inexistent". Why do you not go and get your body fat percent measured?

You seem to have come up with a number out of thin air, and set a goal for that number; your weight is a result of other goals, not a goal in itself unless you are competing in a weight class.

You need to lose your obsession with your weight, and concentrate on goals like body fat percent, lifting, and cardio goals.

As of now, it looks like you just want to put on 5-10 pounds of fat for really no reason. If you are at 22% body fat, why would you want to go to 23%?
Exactly! End of discussion; no other posts necessary on this thread.

Old 12-29-2013, 04:00 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,127,435 times
I'm guessing I gained 7-8 lb/2 weeks max when I was on a corticosteroid. Not recommended!

Old 12-30-2013, 01:12 AM

8 posts, read 8,943 times
It is very easy to lose weight with daily routines; the best thing you’ll have to do to regain weight is eating more and avoiding great efforts during the day since it is the main factor of weight loss, you should also take a rest from time to time.

Old 12-30-2013, 06:06 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,681,265 times
You have no idea what you are talking about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diarry View Post
It is very easy to lose weight with daily routines; the best thing you’ll have to do to regain weight is eating more and avoiding great efforts during the day since it is the main factor of weight loss, you should also take a rest from time to time.

Old 12-30-2013, 07:46 AM

18,548 posts, read 15,586,958 times
Quote:
90% of the threads here are about weight loss so I had to create this one.

After weighing myself at the doctor's office yesterday I realized that I lost 5 pounds in the past couple of months. I started a job and I also stopped going to the gym since I started working. That must be why I've lost so much. I was at my highest weight at 115 and now I'm now down to 110.

Does anyone know a good regiment I can follow that's going to help me regain? My ideal weight would be at 120 but at this point I'll be happy with just 115.

Thanks.
Yes, if you're determined it can be done.

One pint of heavy whipping cream + 8 oz of nutrition drink (e.g. Ensure) before bed each night on top of what you normally eat = 1900 kcal /day
1900 kcal/day X 14 days = 26,600 kcal
26,600 kcal / (3500 kcal/lb body fat) = 7.6 lbs

But this only works if you continue eating your normal diet during the day. The extra calories are likely to decrease appetite, the key to making this work is to pretend you're hungry even when you aren't.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:01 AM

361 posts, read 725,188 times
Quote:

Why do I need to give the reason why I want to gain weight? When people create threads on how to lose weight do you ask the same question? Why do they want to lose and what's their body fat percentage before you can give them any advice?
You certainly do not have to reply to this thread if you feel like this is a trivial question I'm asking and that I didn't give you a plausible explanation for wanting to gain weight. Your need to know "why" is really beside the point; I have personal reasons Which I don't think necessary to share...so If you cannot answer the Original question which was how to gain a few pounds in a couple of weeks, then I think you need to move on to the next thread. Thanks for your input though.

Last edited by Flamboyante; 12-30-2013 at 08:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness