Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 02:43 PM

398 posts, read 746,911 times

Advertisements

Sigh, okay, I'll give working out a try. I just think if I have such a fast metabolism now and I'm barely doing anything, I might become even SKINNIER if I work out and don't keep up with my calories intake lol. I'm moving into an apt complex next month WITH a 24 hour gym on-site.. I won't have any excuse then!!

Also, do you guys recommend mass gainers???

So depressing, I used to look attractive thin before- now I just look like an anorexic, cracked out girl that needs her drugs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 02:59 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,593,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
More like major pharmaceuticals.

I know of one gal who done it...She has a web pag on FB called (One Fit Widow)

March 2011, on stage at my 1st NPC Figure show. 138 pounds, 8% body fat (I was a size 0). This my friends is 12 weeks of diet perfection, this is zero cheating, 3000 calories a day of clean fuel (yes, 3000!!!), and believe it or not ZERO cardio. This was 6 days a week of lifting weights for 1 hour a day and living a very clean diet lifestyle. This is extreme....8% body fat should not be anyone female's goal (unless you want to be on stage) but it does show that with the proper fuel and lots of very heavy lifting our bodies can do amazing things. Cardio rocks for endorphins, for your heart health, for weight loss, but its my very strong opinion that we need to weight train to achieve the lean muscle mass we are all seeking. Ladies especially, don't be intimidated by the weight room. Get in there and get it done....your body will thank you!
—

Old 03-26-2014, 04:55 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,215,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.Uni View Post
Hi All,

Was wondering if you can help me out! All my life I have been super skinny but not until 3 years ago I lost weight due to stress (about -15 pounds) and work.. not eating properly, etc. so I look 100x's worse now! I'm SO desperate to gain weight and don't know what to do. Contrary to everybody else, I cover up myself in clothes because I think I just look sick in tank tops and shorts. It doesn't help that my metabolism is extremely fast as well. I've been the type that easily lose weight and hard as hell to gain I know I should stuff my face with carbs (pasta/bread) but I just don't like to eat those things often. My friend also told me she drank 3 ensure/day (1 with every meal) and I tried that for about a month and didn't see anything change so I stopped.. but she swore she gained 10 lbs by it.

Not sure what to do and looking at myself in the mirror makes me depressed

Anyone have any recommendations? I'm seriously desperate at this point. And no, nothing is physically wrong with my- I don't have a hyperactive thyroid, etc. I just can't gain weight for the life of me!!!
Hints for you from a fellow Asian:

Drink a warm cup of milk with ginger and honey before going to bed (This relieves stress and ensures good sleep )
Start lifting weights (You wont get ripped, just toned and sexy)
Eat well (Consume 4 proper meals per day), and make sure to consume plenty of veggies and lentils with Rice
ALWAYS start the day with a healthy breakfast (Bagels or Omelettes are a good choice)
AVOID PROCESSED FOODS to reduce unnecessary levels of fructose and saturated fat. Eat Organics and whole foods
If you are permitted to eat non vegetarian food, then eat chicken along with your meals for protein.

I am going the opposite direction of you. My aim is to try and lose weight. And no matter what I did, losing the extra pound seemed so hard to me. Now, after a vigorous workout procedure, my body is finally starting to show results. It takes time, and conscious effort to lose weight. Trust me, gaining is a whole lot easier. I am a 100 % vegetarian guy and don't consume meat, eggs, or mushrooms.

Old 03-26-2014, 05:00 PM

398 posts, read 746,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Hints for you from a fellow Asian:

Drink a warm cup of milk with ginger and honey before going to bed (This relieves stress and ensures good sleep )
Start lifting weights (You wont get ripped, just toned and sexy)
Eat well (Consume 4 proper meals per day), and make sure to consume plenty of veggies and lentils with Rice
ALWAYS start the day with a healthy breakfast (Bagels or Omelettes are a good choice)
AVOID PROCESSED FOODS to reduce unnecessary levels of fructose and saturated fat. Eat Organics and whole foods
If you are permitted to eat non vegetarian food, then eat chicken along with your meals for protein.

I am going the opposite direction of you. My aim is to try and lose weight. And no matter what I did, losing the extra pound seemed so hard to me. Now, after a vigorous workout procedure, my body is finally starting to show results. It takes time, and conscious effort to lose weight. Trust me, gaining is a whole lot easier. I am a 100 % vegetarian guy and don't consume meat, eggs, or mushrooms.
Thanks for the hints
Would you recommend using the elliptical? I want to work on my legs but people are saying that's considered cardio so I'll lose weight instead

Old 03-26-2014, 05:19 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,215,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.Uni View Post
Thanks for the hints
Would you recommend using the elliptical? I want to work on my legs but people are saying that's considered cardio so I'll lose weight instead
Leg presses would work out best for nice tough legs, and squats help build a sweet booty. But if your aim is to maintain agility and strength in your legs, then I would recommend running + Leg presses (Add squats for a nicely shaped butt if you want). That provides you with a muscular leg which can carry you around quickly. Elliptical is to get you pumped and increase the heart pumping rate to assist in quicker metabolism. You don't really want that right now. For more information on how to attain sexy legs for women, just ask WildCard.

Old 03-26-2014, 05:20 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,958,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
You have to find out what your body likes. First and foremost you need to get calories in, but like you said, you need to eat the proper calories. Ditch the grains (wheat, rice, etc) they cause leaky gut and destroy gut flora, grains make it hard to actually digest your other food (which is why skinny people can generally eat a lot and not gain weight). If you want to gain you need to eat. Change your lifestyle and get motivated about food. Eat the right foods and alot of them. Meat, fish, eggs, hard cheeses, honey, fruits, veggies, etc. Count those calories and make sure you are eating more than your daily recommended intake. It depends on your weight. Use this to calculate your average daily calorie intake, then click on gain weight button, and eat those cals (for me it's increased to 3000 cals a day if I want to gain, up 500 from the maintain status). CalorieKing - How Many Calories Should You Eat

Lift weights, low reps high weight and allow your body recovery time, only workout 2 times a week, no more. Good luck.
I swear it changes daily. I thought grains are good and carbs are not? I remember watching Dr. Oz and he was talking about Ezekiel bread which is all grain bread & its supposed to snatch wigs off your midsection?

Old 03-26-2014, 05:36 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,739,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
I swear it changes daily. I thought grains are good and carbs are not? I remember watching Dr. Oz and he was talking about Ezekiel bread which is all grain bread & its supposed to snatch wigs off your midsection?
Unfortunately, the majority of doctors are NOT trained in nutrition...only around 6% of them are. Grains are not good for the intestine and the natural gut flora. In addition, grains raise your insulin (the step that needs to take place before the body stores anything as fats). Raise your insulin and you just established the pathway for the body to store sugars as fats instead of using them as energy. Carbs are a good thing in moderation, but I would stay clear of grains. I personally do not consume grains (gluten) and I get my carbs from honey and fruit.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:22 PM

260 posts, read 428,293 times
You can take my fat.
I used to be so skinny until I got ridiculously depressed (genetics unfortunately) and gained a little weight. Then I got on anti-depressants... It took me about 2 years to gain 20 pounds. Now I'm sitting at 5'2 and 140lbs, and even when I don't eat a lot or don't eat for long periods of time, the weight stays there and never changes.
Okay sorry, here's my advice:
Bread. Please bake bread all the time and eat it with hearty soup (Great Depression cooking!) Here's my favorite bread recipe: Allrecipes - Search
If you're going for thick and meaty rather than ripped, I would very much encourage going out all the time if you can afford it. Especially those chain restaurants like Denny's and TONS of fast food. That method's never failed me.
Keep that up for a few years and you'll have your dream bod:

But seriously morbid obesity is sad and not cool. Just be careful out there.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:01 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,703,315 times
When I was severely underweight here's what I did: I got a little book that showed calories in different foods. Then I wrote down everything that I ate all day long and added up the calories. It turned out that I was eating 2000 calories and staying at the same skinny weight.

So I made it my goal to eat 2500 calories every day. Again, I wrote down every single thing I ate all day long and the number of calories next to it. If I got to bedtime and I hadn't eaten the 2500 calories I wouldn't go to bed. I would look in the fridge and find something that would get me up to 2500 calories.

You can use Ensure Plus to get you a few more hundred calories to make it easier.

It only took one summer to get to a normal weight and to be honest, I didn't care what I ate. I was only trying to get enough calories. If I had to eat ice cream with chocolate syrup, I did it. If I had to eat a pile of peanut butter on crackers, I did it. At a young age it isn't going to kill you to not eat perfectly for a little while. (I wouldn't have soda or junk like that.) But pie or cake have a lot of calories and they aren't that bad for you except for the sugar. Donuts, pasta, milkshakes, three good meals a day, Ensure Plus. I didn't work out, in fact I rested a lot. By the end of the summer I could wear shorts if I wanted to!
After that I focused on nutrition but during those few months, I simply focused on calories. This was a long time ago and it is not trendy but it did work.

Old 03-27-2014, 04:48 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,966,685 times
Protein shakes can make you gain weight (even if you don't exercise). But beware, they don't taste that good.

Don't be so depressed. The media seems to favour skinniness in women (models and all, who are verging on anorexic). Not saying it's a good thing to be bony, but it's still healthier than being overweight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness