Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 11:07 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,654,812 times

Advertisements

Hi all...quick back story: I'm a single dad, work full time and am going to school for my Master's. My free time is very limited due to the above plus having an athletic son. I can typically go to the gym on my lunch (45 minutes +/-) Monday thru Friday and I will usually do a good workout on Saturday or Sunday (and rest one day).

My question is, how can I best utilize my lunch hour to maximize the muscles I hit? For example, should I do arms/chest/shoulders one day and legs/back the other day (alternating between the two)? I guess my problem is that I don't know which muscle groups to work together and which ones to work on the other days.

I don't know much about how to structure a workout and quite frankly I can't see spending the $75 for a personal trainer. Any suggestions or even online resources would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 11:19 AM

6,460 posts, read 7,798,579 times
That sounds like a good amount of time to me. Some depends on what your goals are - losing weight, gaining muscle, increasing cardio, etc.

In general however, concentrate on compound exercises to get the most bang for your buck.

Don't neglect the power of nutrition and rest.

Best of luck.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:59 AM

515 posts, read 1,004,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsieur Boston View Post
Hi all...quick back story: I'm a single dad, work full time and am going to school for my Master's. My free time is very limited due to the above plus having an athletic son. I can typically go to the gym on my lunch (45 minutes +/-) Monday thru Friday and I will usually do a good workout on Saturday or Sunday (and rest one day).

My question is, how can I best utilize my lunch hour to maximize the muscles I hit? For example, should I do arms/chest/shoulders one day and legs/back the other day (alternating between the two)? I guess my problem is that I don't know which muscle groups to work together and which ones to work on the other days.

I don't know much about how to structure a workout and quite frankly I can't see spending the $75 for a personal trainer. Any suggestions or even online resources would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
What are your goals? Do you want to get bigger or smaller? The exercise choices will stay mostly the same but it does affect a few things

If you want to get bigger, you're best bet would probably be upper body/lower body alternating days. If you want to get smaller, your best bet would probably be full body 3 times and 1-2 days focused less on strength and more on conditioning

Old 04-04-2014, 02:37 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,478,654 times
When I was lifting and going to the gym I had my best gains and got the strongest I have ever been lifting twice a week. Would usually lift on Mondays & Thursdays. Kept it simple and either did a classic 5x5 routine (Rippetoe's was great) or the other one was even simpler. All I did was deadlifts & presses on one day, squats and presses the next day. Added in a few pullups and loaded carries and I was good to go. Was usually in and out of the gym in 45-50 minutes. On the weekends I would go hiking, running or cycling.

Old 04-04-2014, 02:39 PM

68 posts, read 154,403 times
If your are looking for a bit of a comp, i.e weight lose, body comp changes, strength gains, endurance. I would suggest a crossfit box, they usually offer an express session during the lunch period, so only the WOD and no skills work (which you could do on your weekends).

This will give you good programing, done in 30 to 45 minutes max, and will work your whole body, and some very good compound moves as G-fused mentioned.

For my bet it would give the most bank for your buck time wise.

ron

Old 04-05-2014, 10:07 AM

30 posts, read 32,727 times
exrx.net - they have weight lifting routines and videos showing you correct form. great website.

Old 04-07-2014, 12:39 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,654,812 times
Thank you for the responses everyone. Yes I left that off, I am losing weight and working out. This is all new to me so I'm trying to learn the ropes and get a better routine.

Old 04-07-2014, 01:01 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Also sometimes men forget the power of cardio. Just lifting is less effective than mixing it up with running, biking, elliptical, or swimming. Also, it helps keep things from getting boring.

Old 04-07-2014, 02:13 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,681,265 times
Head over to bodybuilding.com. Go to the workout forums. Check out starting strength, stronglifts, allpros or fierce five. They have it laid out for you. What weight to start with, when to add weight, when to deload, how many reps, rest days etc.

Old 04-07-2014, 08:56 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,347,051 times
I'm no pro at this and there are many ways to get a good workout, but this is how I've generally broken down my workout sessions. You might do something like this 3x a week:

Day 1: Chest and triceps
Day 2: Back and Biceps
Day 3: Shoulders and Legs

Basically, start with compound sets and work down towards isolated muscle groups. So, for example, Day 1, starting with bench press, you'll work multiple muscle groups (mainly chest and triceps). Same with exercises like dips and pushups. So you might start with bench press and work down towards doing isolated tricep extensions to get the max out of your workout.

Same with working back and biceps. Instead of starting your workout by doing bicep curls, do some pull ups or lat pulldowns which will work back muscles and your biceps. If you choose to do something like bicep curls, save it for the end of your session.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness