Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 08:40 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,572,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
What about genetics? Sure genetics plays a role, and more so at elite levels, but anyone can obtain some serious strength and muscle mass if they lift and eat right.

I hate the genetic excuse getting thrown around all the time, I love it when someone says it to me, really, as if going to the gym every other day for over twenty years (in between military deployments and vacations) has nothing to show and it is all "genetics". Goodness, the OP says he only squats 110lbs (after ten years of working out), that is someone who has not committed at all to working out seriously regarding strength and muscle mass, not genetics. (not knocking you OP or poster above, just ranting regarding the genetic factor).
There's no way that a 215 pound man can only squat 110 lbs after 10 years of working out. It's not possible unless there's some sort of medical condition holding him back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2014, 08:55 PM

395 posts, read 603,883 times
Well I do have cancer and had two stem cell transplants in 2010 and 2011, so I am somewhat anemic. As for what I squat, I literally just started squats last year so I know it takes time to get there.

Old 05-31-2014, 08:56 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
There's no way that a 215 pound man can only squat 110 lbs after 10 years of working out. It's not possible unless there's some sort of medical condition holding him back.
Strength wise I do not see it possible, but mobility i could see; I have encountered a few people who were not flexible enough to even get to parallel. That of course can be solved rather quickly, but many people jsut settle for 1/4 squats, or just do not do them at all.

Old 05-31-2014, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm5878 View Post
Well I do have cancer and had two stem cell transplants in 2010 and 2011, so I am somewhat anemic. As for what I squat, I literally just started squats last year so I know it takes time to get there.
Dang dude, sorry to hear. But seriously, when asking for exercise advice, details like this is important. Getting into post-cancer, stem cell transplants, anemic, and who knows what else, along with ten years of exercising, but only recently doing squats, this all creates a very unique combo that really makes it difficult to give anything but broad advice regarding strength training and hypertrophy.

Generally, you need to start something like starting strength to get your strength levels up, you are too weak to handle a hypertrophy routine right now, the volume is just too high. Diet is important as well, you have to eat big to get big.

Old 05-31-2014, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm5878 View Post
Sorry to hear that. When I first started weight training I used light weights for months just to get my body used to it all. Eventually you will be able to handle higher volume and heavier weights. I would be careful if I were you though.

Old 05-31-2014, 09:11 PM

19,036 posts, read 27,599,679 times
So you are an ectomorph, just like I am. I am 6'4 1/2. You already weigh about as much as I do, few lbs less (219) and your golden weight should be about 200lb under rigorous exercise.
You will get nowhere without very high protein diet, portioned through the day ( about 700 g of protein, and it's not easy), split exercise and pyramids. You can take a "shortcut" via isometrics or negatives (partner required), but you have to be super well conditioned cardio/pulmonary to be able to do them, or you taking high chance of damaging your body.

But here's the thing. See, we all have predetermined number of myofibrills in our muscles. Period. Bulk comes from them thickening and shortening. But you can do this only yey much, then your biological resource is depleted, and you stop.
So, what you want to do, for ectomorph, is to make decision. Decision is like this. For ectomorph, ideal figure is Michelangelo's David. Not too bulky, no subcutaneous fat, trimmed. That's it. Accomplish that goal, and be happy. Let someone else, more genetically designed for it, to look like this (after all the drugs taken, as no one is that way naturally)

Old 05-31-2014, 09:23 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,044,268 times
At 215 you aren't skinny fat, you are just fat. Your lifts are not good. You have cancer. You've only been doing your current program for 4 weeks. Why do you think you should be muscular? Can't tell if this post is serious...

Old 05-31-2014, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Strength wise I do not see it possible, but mobility i could see; I have encountered a few people who were not flexible enough to even get to parallel. That of course can be solved rather quickly, but many people jsut settle for 1/4 squats, or just do not do them at all.
If you don't squat to at least parallel then you aren't squatting, IMO.

Old 05-31-2014, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
If you don't squat to at least parallel then you aren't squatting, IMO.
Oh, I agree, I do not consider any lift a lift unless it is the full range of motion; I have seen way too many "I can bench xxxlbs" only to see them bench with a 4 inch range of motion. Heck, I could add 1/3 more to my bench if I was just going down 4 inches.

This is why I am always doubting lift numbers with many posters, unless I think they know what they are talking about, in which I will tend to believe as you can tell someone who lifts heavy and someone who does not (of course this usually comes out later on in the conversation). Many strength training forums will not give any legitimacy to a lift claim (like a serious heavy lift) unless they post a video.

Old 06-01-2014, 11:01 AM

395 posts, read 603,883 times
Thank you, I think I can be qualified as a ectomorph body type lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness