Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 07:39 PM

412 posts, read 545,768 times

Advertisements

If you are a woman who wants to have a lean, toned body(not overly muscular or big), which workout would be better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2014, 09:06 PM

4,565 posts, read 5,419,304 times
High rep / low weights - Completely ineffective

Low rep/heavy weights - very, very effective

That is all.

Old 12-15-2014, 09:26 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
I do both - heavy weights one workout, lighter weights the next a few days later, etc. - simply because I like to.

Whichever one is better is the one that you will stick with. It doesn't matter if Door #1 is more effective than Door #2 if you hate what's behind Door #1 but love what's behind Door #2.

Old 12-15-2014, 10:21 PM

4,565 posts, read 5,419,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

Whichever one is better is the one that you will stick with. .
WRONG!!! Light weight/high reps has been proven over and over and over by any and everyone who has knowledge of exercise/training/working out to be totally ineffective compared to higher weight training. The who low weight/high reps b.s. nonsense sticks around because people who know nothing about exercise read it in magazines like cosmo that is written by people who dont workout themselves.

High rep/low weight is nothing and should be avoided.

Old 12-15-2014, 11:45 PM

I'm not surprised you missed the point.

Light weight/high reps are better than no weights at all. A workout plan that the OP will stick with is the best plan.

Old 12-16-2014, 12:22 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,843,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink90 View Post
If you are a woman who wants to have a lean, toned body(not overly muscular or big), which workout would be better?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
High rep / low weights - Completely ineffective
Low rep/heavy weights - very, very effective
As a 50 year old female weight lifter, I agree with KG.

I never lift light as I find it to be a waste of time, UNLESS, it is part of my overall programming OR I'm recovering from an injury.

For example, last week, I increased the distance for the sled push, and did 30% of max, sprinting. Of course, I already knew what my heavy short distance max was. I really wanted to go a lot heavier, but I followed the programing. After all, that means I don't have to do my own programming, and I get the results I want. I noticed other ladies were just guessing. There is a reason why one follows a program, and why one records their weights...so one can reach their goals.

The other biggie, is diet.

This website has a wealth of good information. I suggest that you educate yourself. http://breakingmuscle.com/womens-fit...fting-debunked
Quote:
Clearly how much weight you lift doesn’t make you big and bulky, and it’s about time that women stopped fearing that it will. The main things to focus on, if looking to get lean, are the following:

1. Don’t over eat. If you’re not keeping a food diary that is your biggest problem with losing weight.
  2. Lift heavy for a few reps. A sample deadlift workout might be three sets of three reps with a two to three minute rest between sets. These need to be hard, near all-out sets for them to be useful.
  3. For the rest of your workout do only whole-body exercises such as loaded carries and sled pushing, and bodyweight exercises such as burpees, lunges, squats, and pull-ups.
  4. Ignore the “friends” who try to derail you by telling you that despite all evidence to the contrary you’re training incorrectly. You paid for a trainer for his or her expert help, don’t go off reservation and start listening to someone who gets workout advice off Biggest Loser.
Finally, I highly recommend working with a personal trainer to learn the proper form. If you're a newbie, you will need more than watching a video, and more than one session with a trainer. The problem is, our dysfunctional movement feels natural. It feels right. So unless a qualified/trained person is watching you, you won't know if you are actually using the correct form. In March, I will have been at this 3 years, and I highly value my trainer's feedback. Still. I'm corrected several times a week.

Last edited by caligirlz; 12-16-2014 at 12:34 AM..

Old 12-16-2014, 08:07 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink90 View Post
You can have a lean toned body with just a good body-weight program (pushups, pullups, dips, etc) It also depends on your age and physical condition. Those here who constantly push "lift heavy" don't take into consideration that some people might have injuries or physical conditions. And "heavy" is relative.

To me, you MUST continue to increase weights for them to grow, if that is your aim. As I said earlier, for women, even a good body-weight exercise program will get you results. But I do agree with KG that little weights at high reps will do almost nothing for you. Still, start where you are comfortable, but constantly increase your weights. Believe me, you will not "bulk up."

Old 12-16-2014, 08:24 AM

1,330 posts, read 1,540,158 times
Consistency

Old 12-16-2014, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkiforniainHouston View Post
Consistency
That's the most important thing, you're absolutely right.

Old 12-16-2014, 09:11 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
WRONG!!! Light weight/high reps has been proven over and over and over by any and everyone who has knowledge of exercise/training/working out to be totally ineffective compared to higher weight training. The who low weight/high reps b.s. nonsense sticks around because people who know nothing about exercise read it in magazines like cosmo that is written by people who dont workout themselves.

High rep/low weight is nothing and should be avoided.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness