Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 03:24 AM

1,369 posts, read 2,274,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
It may not have been worded well, but truly, if you're in this for the long haul then be prepared for things to take some time.
As I said earlier, I'm prepared to take some time at it, I'm committed to it, but for the sake of accuracy I have not been sitting around for "decades". I gained unwanted weight over 3 months that I'd like to lose. I'm going to look into getting some free weights today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 07:59 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
The older you are the harder it is. When I was 20 I stopped drinking soda for a week and lost 5 lbs. Now in my 40's I run, lift weights, bike 5-6 days a week. I can't lose weight. Started eating healthier and it helped a bit, not much.

Old 02-08-2015, 08:39 AM

4,993 posts, read 5,292,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amylewis View Post
Well I don't eat carbs at all, and only eat fresh vegetables and chicken for the most part. I'm diabetic, so I have to watch what I eat very closely. I eat two meals a day and that's it.
Do you have snacks also? My dad is diabetic and he is supposed to eat something every couple of hours to keep his blood sugars level.

Old 02-08-2015, 09:36 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,352,236 times
To the OP: Congrats on the motivation to get in shape. Walking is a great start, but you need more. Since you are picking up weights today (get several different weights and start out with low weights or you could use just soup cans), put them by your sofa or wherever you sit to watch tv and you can use them during commercials.

Check out exercise videos on YouTube, as well as the exercise channel on your cable. If you have a DVD player, you can get free exercise DVD's at your local library, but they sell them everywhere and very inexpensive. I also do pushups off of my sofa.

Get protein in your diet. I have found a big difference since making a protein shake almost every day. Good luck in this new venture--it will not happen overnight.

Old 02-08-2015, 10:18 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,822,493 times
Quote:
As I said earlier, I'm prepared to take some time at it, I'm committed to it, but for the sake of accuracy I have not been sitting around for "decades". I gained unwanted weight over 3 months that I'd like to lose. I'm going to look into getting some free weights today.
Please make sure you watch some videos on proper from. Even a light weight can mess you up if you lift it wrong. Body weight exercises are great too. Squats, lunges and planks. Just start slow and go from there.
But the NUMBER ONE thing you need to if you want to lose weight is make sure you are eating fewer calories.
Walking and lifting small weights are not going to burn a heck of a lot of calories. Those will enhance your weight loss, but they will not cause weight loss.

Old 02-08-2015, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
Do you have snacks also? My dad is diabetic and he is supposed to eat something every couple of hours to keep his blood sugars level.
No, I don't snack at all, and I will not eat junk food, which includes all fast food. I don't eat out either, because I can make better food at home for a lot less money.

Old 02-08-2015, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
To the OP: Congrats on the motivation to get in shape. Walking is a great start, but you need more. Since you are picking up weights today (get several different weights and start out with low weights or you could use just soup cans), put them by your sofa or wherever you sit to watch tv and you can use them during commercials.

Check out exercise videos on YouTube, as well as the exercise channel on your cable.
Well I'll check YouTube, but I don't watch TV at all, having cut the cord years ago, so there are no commercials for me either. TV is just as bad in another way as fast/junk food, and amounts to little more than social engineering propaganda. It's junk food for the mind. It's not just my body I'm getting into shape.

Old 02-08-2015, 10:55 AM

4,993 posts, read 5,292,680 times
Quote:
No, I don't snack at all, and I will not eat junk food, which includes all fast food. I don't eat out either, because I can make better food at home for a lot less money.
I wasn't referring to junk food. The reason why I asked if you had snacks was because the advice I have always heard and have been given for me to avoid diabetes is to have several healthy meals and snacks spread out throughout the rather than eating only two or three times a day. It is supposed to keep your blood sugars at more stable levels.

Have you been given nutritional counseling for your diabetes? Your comments about carbs and eating only twice a day concern me. Veggies are carbs, but they are good carbs provided you eat the right ones. As mentioned, the advice I've always seen and heard is to eat several small meals or snacks throughout the day. I'd suggest getting some additional nutritional counseling if you can.

Old 02-08-2015, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I wasn't referring to junk food. The reason why I asked if you had snacks was because the advice I have always heard and have been given for me to avoid diabetes is to have several healthy meals and snacks spread out throughout the rather than eating only two or three times a day. It is supposed to keep your blood sugars at more stable levels.

Have you been given nutritional counseling for your diabetes? Your comments about carbs and eating only twice a day concern me. Veggies are carbs, but they are good carbs provided you eat the right ones. As mentioned, the advice I've always seen and heard is to eat several small meals or snacks throughout the day. I'd suggest getting some additional nutritional counseling if you can.
Having lived with diabetes for 15 years now I have been through the whole gamut of propaganda about it, including all the claimed cures and recommended advice, which varies quite widely. Then there are all the meds recommended and promoted with their lists of side effects, some of which are quite nasty and include death. It's about as easy to find the truth about diabetes as it is to ferret out any truth about UFO's.

I opted for human insulin, that being the simplest and least costly solution for me. I'm quite accustomed to managing my blood glucose daily after 15 years and I do a very good job of it according to the doctors, thankyouverymuch.

Old 02-08-2015, 12:47 PM

68 posts, read 144,515 times
Weight loss is 80% diet, 20% exercise. Weight lifting will burn fat/calories for a longer duration then cardio based exercises, but cardio is great for the heart and will help you build endurance.

Have you had your range of motion checked? If you have not, walking and swiming/walking the pool would be your best options for now. You do not want to hurt yourself and set yourself back. You can get checked by a doctor (recommended) or by a personal trainer. After your range of motion is checked, you can work with a personal trainer for an hour for about $30-$50 depending on who you go through. Paying for 1 session is worth it because they can help you determine how much weight you should be lifting, and making sure you are doing it correctly which will lower the chance of injury. Make sure you seek one out that has a lot of experience with age 60+ clients. Let him/her know what your goals are. Fat loss? general health? muscle growth? Know what you want so they can help you best.

Any foods you have in your fridge marked "low fat" or "diet" get rid of. Only use butter, olive oil, bacon grease, or coconut oil for your oils and stop using vegetable oil, and crisco if you are. I would stop eating as much bread based foods as you can and ONLY eat whole grain, no white flour as it has little to no nutritional value. Reserve bread for one meal a day if this is hard for you. Make sure you are eating vegetables and protein at every meal (Corn is not a vegetable, it is a grain.) Greek yogurt and Cottage cheese are great sources of protein in case you don't want to eat meat at every meal. Switch out peanuts for other tree nuts like almonds or walnuts. They have less fat and more protein.
Cakes/dessert type meals are okay as treats... as in, not very often. Maybe make sunday or saturday dessert day.

I hope that helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness