Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 11:54 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,006,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Vogel View Post
^^^^^^Wrong on several counts, Schmedes

1--Judging and belittling does go on at gyms--especially those that cater to the "power lifting types" you mentioned. I have witnessed it dozens of times.
It probably does, but from my experience this falls under "can't prove a negative." I've never witnessed anyone openly judging or belittling someone at a gym. I'm a bit of a people watcher at the gym, too. In between sets I observe those around me, so it's not like I'm so focussed on my workout I'm oblivious to my surroundings and am just not noticing it. At the same time, where there are people there are idiots so it's a safe bet that, even if people aren't noticing it, people are judging others. This probably takes place at PF, too.

Quote:
2--Those types of gyms ARE NOT "few and very far between" as you can find one in any town, and several in any small or medium-sized city. A Large city would have over a dozen.
The type of gym he described it a bit of a niche market and is likely not as widespread as you think. Mainstream gyms today are pretty comprehensive facilities with everything from power lifting areas to yoga classes. THESE you will find pretty much in every major city.

Quote:
4--PF is not playing to "Fake Fears." If people HAVE a fear of being intimidated or judged, then it is a real fear. It may be an ill-founded fear (which is probably what you meant to say) but it is still real to them nonetheless.
That's a good distinction to make: real fears albeit ill-founded. I'll buy that. Still, the point is PF is playing to these fears, which is pretty standard in modern marketing. Nothing surprising about it, really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 12:43 PM

515 posts, read 1,004,803 times
Quote:
^^^^^^Wrong on several counts, Schmedes

1--Judging and belittling does go on at gyms--especially those that cater to the "power lifting types" you mentioned. I have witnessed it dozens of times.

2--Those types of gyms ARE NOT "few and very far between" as you can find one in any town, and several in any small or medium-sized city. A Large city would have over a dozen.

3--PF accepts strong people. To say they do not is to be of the opinion that only the "Lunk" types you mentioned at the beginning of your post--who yell and listen to metal--are strong. Is that what you think? If so, you sir are a lunk. I would hazard to guess that if you visited a PF during any sort of peak hours you would find several guys there stronger, than say, you. LOL

4--PF is not playing to "Fake Fears." If people HAVE a fear of being intimidated or judged, then it is a real fear. It may be an ill-founded fear (which is probably what you meant to say) but it is still real to them nonetheless.

5--Anything else you would like to debate concerning PF? (But, Be careful--I have been a member for over three years, and was a Gold's member for far longer than that, so I have seen both sides of this equation.) LOL
1.) OK I guess you've been around the block so many times you've seen it all, right? And your argument here doesn't make sense; how many "average" people specifically seek out a heavy powerlifting gym with yelling and metal? Almost 0, right? I've yet to see 1 person openly make fun of someone else at any gym I've been to and 1 has been "powerlifting"

2.) They are few. I live in philadelphia. There is one in the city and 1 outside of the city. The one outside of the city doesn't have any yelling and everyone is very nice. They just like to be strong

3.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7gzmoqmL7g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sxhYkL7Cyg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQfmpXsLV_4

People who care about what they look like are apparently morons or they're loud, yelling lunks. Here at planet fitness, no one is judging you, but we judge them! Please show me how their marketing doesn't say that. Also, personal attacks debase yourself. You sound like an idiot when you say "HAHA YOU'RE SO WEAK!"

4.) If you're arguing semantics to make me look wrong, you have a silly argument

5.) oh cool, you have been so many places then and seen so much judging

Old 02-24-2015, 12:51 PM

743 posts, read 832,607 times
Why are you guys arguing about Gold's and PF? They are two drastically different business models and both work well. Yes PF is 100% hypocritical, but it makes them money and no one is forced to go there with the wide availability of different gyms these days. As for the people who go there because they don't want to be judged or are insecure/low self esteem, they are only dodging the problem when they should be trying to fix it. Get out of your comfort zone and go to that typical gym and you might see that 99% of people don't even notice you. There will be a few douche bags anywhere. I, for one, am always proud to see someone of any size or muscle level trying to better themselves, and most definitely don't talk about them or judge them.

Old 02-24-2015, 12:58 PM

2,054 posts, read 2,569,088 times
I can't even believe this is a topic of discussion. And having a gym I like is hugely important to me, even though I'm just a normal, non-overly muscular Joe.

Old 02-24-2015, 01:02 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
I didn't like PF at all when I toured it, but I'm happy working out at a Freedom Fitness which is basically the same concept-- $10/month, no contract and geared toward a middle-of-the-road exerciser. They have a separate women's area where most newbie women start out and some never leave. In the general area they don't have squat racks but they do have Smith machines. They recently put up a "No deadlifts" sign and I don't know what the story is there. They have a lot of TV screens that, among other things, encourage good gym etiquette like wiping down machines, not starting at people and racking your weights. There aren't a lot of giant weight-lifters there, at least in the early a.m. when I go, but there are some very fit people working out.

It's an option if you're turned of by PF but don't want to join a "meathead" gym.

Old 02-24-2015, 01:56 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,574,629 times
I think the most annoying thing about PF is it tries to make a mockery of the strong in order to appease a certain demographic's insecurities.

Old 02-24-2015, 02:11 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Come on now people...

Pizza once a month, week, whatever, is not going to do anything. If pizza is going to harm someone that bad, they have bigger issues going on. Also, the concept of self control should come at play as well, sorry, adults should not have to have their hand held to avoid food they should not be eating. If my gym offered some pizza, I would eat some, I do not care nor is it my concern other people do not have self control. But again, that little bit a pizza is not going to do anything, it is not like people are teetering on the edge of obesity, and if they eat just one little thing more, they fall off a cliff. Exercise and good dieting is just a lifestyle, not something someone does for one hour, three days a week in the gym.

As for Planet Fitness, it is their business model, pretty simple. I think the place is a joke, but their business model is not aimed at people like me, just as Applebees is not aimed at people like me either, and neither is Coors Light. But I wish Planet Fitness would be more upfront about it instead of trying to masquerade around what they are, which is a place that wants to attract those who are not engaged in serious exercise and/or who have self esteem issues; their commercials should really be like those Addiction Centers of America commercials, just actually say what they heck you do and not beat around the bush.

Speaking of commercials, absolutely ridiculous, and that lunk alarm is among the dumbest things out there.
I've never been in a PF, but it doesn't sound like a place I'd care for. I've been with 24 Hr. now for about 15 years, and it does the job. But now I wish there were a PF nearby that would siphon off the not-serious people. I'll always encourage anyone to try and become fit, but gawd... the resolutioners really get in the way every January! Or the people who talk on the phone while "working out". My preference is to be around others who are serious. And some dude checking his muscles out in the mirror doesn't bother me at all. People can be proud of their results

Old 02-24-2015, 02:21 PM

743 posts, read 832,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
My preference is to be around others who are serious. And some dude checking his muscles out in the mirror doesn't bother me at all. People can be proud of their results
My preference is to be around no one at all lol. I like being able to 100% focus and having full use of equipment. This is why I usually wait until late at night to go. When I was at a bigger gym I went anytime of the day though. I don't care if people are serious or not as long as I can get my work done. Just gotta zone it all out!

Old 02-25-2015, 06:58 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
Excellent post.

I have been going to PF for three years, 4-5 times a week. So let's see..............that's about 500 times at least, and I have seen the Lunk Alarm go off maybe 3-4 times.
Yet after those three years, you were still in such poor shape, a measly 11 weeks at crossfit made you "the best shape in your life".

Old 02-25-2015, 07:21 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,624,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I've never been in a PF, but it doesn't sound like a place I'd care for. I've been with 24 Hr. now for about 15 years, and it does the job. But now I wish there were a PF nearby that would siphon off the not-serious people. I'll always encourage anyone to try and become fit, but gawd... the resolutioners really get in the way every January! Or the people who talk on the phone while "working out". My preference is to be around others who are serious. And some dude checking his muscles out in the mirror doesn't bother me at all. People can be proud of their results
See, you are EXACTLY the person who Planet Fitness is trying to keep out. It is dedicated to fitness, not building results for narcissists to admire in the mirror in public. And no matter how hard you try, there is no way to hide that much disdain for beginners (or pre-beginners) entering the fitness world for the first time. 99% of these people are never going to 'advance' to bodybuilding or powerlifting, and you need to accept that they don't want to do more than lose a few pounds, tone a bit and build up their stamina and cardio health.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness