Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 12:26 PM

445 posts, read 771,645 times

Advertisements

You need to keep at it, ramp up the intensity of the workouts and eat sensibly. You will lose weight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 02:52 PM

390 posts, read 824,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
I only scanned the thread so if you gave this info and I missed it - sorry. It could simply be that you are building a TAD of muscle that weighs more at this point and you'd be LUCKY if that were the case. YES the only thing that really "counts" is the tape measure as long as you're eating right. IMO. FIFTEEN DAYS is NOTHING.

Nothing will "melt off" with that exercise and do NOT increase it to some crazy stuff like two hours per day!

Unless you want an OVERUSE INJURY like a sore hip or shin splints or bad knee or ankle etc!!!

It's all about your food. Make sure you've gotten your DOCTOR'S clearance to do all this. Including a thyroid and other bloodwork like your blood count, SUGAR, iron etc. Are you pre diabetic or anything?

ALSO get a BONE DENSITY test.

THEN, make sure you're eating PROTEINS (animal meats), HEALTHY CARBS (sweet potatoes in the starchy category NOT breads, loading up on pasta and white potatoes), some fruit and ALOT ALOT ALOT Of vegetables.

A quick visual is something like a plate that is:

ONE HALF vegetables, one quarter proteins (around 4-6 oz), one quarter carbs. Carbs includes fruit. Not PILED HIGH (except yes the vegs can be piled high). Visualize the palm of your hand for a carb or protein serving sort of. If you don't want to weigh it. LEARN about the foods. If you want to error on the side of caution your proteins can be "snack foods" like a hard boiled egg or you can eat more protein as long as your are BALANCING your other foods. Some people disagree on the protein and paleo type eating, though.

Pineapple is more carby - sugary than blueberries for example. Strawberries have the important FIBER you need.

NO fake white foods like sugars, white breads processed crap or even RICE which is empty calories. No frozen food crap like "lean cuisine". Eat real food.

You also need some healthy fat to survive properly. FAT is not an enemy. PURE fats like an olive oil or coconut oil. LOW FAT FOODS that are "man made" are BAD BAD BAD. They also are higher in carbs to make up for the lack of taste. Obviously NO SODA or FRUIT JUICE EITHER. FRUITS HAVE SUGAR.

Drink water.

You WILL see a weight decrease eating properly OR you have a metabolism issue which is what the exercise may HELP with but not be any kind of FIX. A proper weight decrease is no more than 2 lb per week, albeit you may see a large one the first week or two you eat properly.

If you say you're eating properly post your intake for review.

Good post, but two hours of exercise per day isn't excessive, IMO. For someone who's out of shape it may well be, but I routinely work out 1-2 hours per day. Of course, if it's my cardio days, an hour of that is just walking or low intensity steady state cardio, and if it's a lifting day, it's pretty much 30 seconds of lifting followed by 5 minutes of rest, repeated many times and preceded by low intensity warmups.

Exercise is critical to weight loss. It's incredibly difficult to lose weight with just a diet change, unless your current diet is just terrible. But it's incredibly difficult to get to a healthy bodyfat % without exercise, because eating 1,500 calories per day and starving yourself isn't maintainable. I eat 2,500-3,000 calories per day when I'm losing weight... I just burn off what I need through exercise. I'm in pretty good shape, so burning off 1,000 calories is easy for me.

Old 03-05-2015, 04:05 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,673,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazergore1198 View Post
Good post, but two hours of exercise per day isn't excessive, IMO. For someone who's out of shape it may well be, but I routinely work out 1-2 hours per day. Of course, if it's my cardio days, an hour of that is just walking or low intensity steady state cardio, and if it's a lifting day, it's pretty much 30 seconds of lifting followed by 5 minutes of rest, repeated many times and preceded by low intensity warmups.

Exercise is critical to weight loss. It's incredibly difficult to lose weight with just a diet change, unless your current diet is just terrible. But it's incredibly difficult to get to a healthy bodyfat % without exercise, because eating 1,500 calories per day and starving yourself isn't maintainable. I eat 2,500-3,000 calories per day when I'm losing weight... I just burn off what I need through exercise. I'm in pretty good shape, so burning off 1,000 calories is easy for me.
Maybe you didn't read this thread from the beginning but the OP stated that he went from absolutely no exercise to walking one mile twice daily on a treadmill. He is 65 years old.

Two hour a day of exercise is excessive for most people unless this is something you have been doing for years. You need to build up to it over time and do it on a regular basis. A 65 year old who has never exercised and is overweight is going to have a difficult time exercising enough to lose weight. Many of the people who have responded here recognize this and have recommended diet changes.

This is not to suggest that the OP should not exercise. There are many reasons to exercise other than just burning calories. Many people who begin exercising have unrealistic expectations as to the changes in their body and how quickly those changes will occur.

BTW, I have often exercised for more than two hours a day at a very high intensity level. There have been days I have played full court basketball for an hour and a half, ran six miles in 50 to 55 minutes, and lifted weights for an hour. I wish I could say that I am not carrying any excess pounds but it wouldn't be true.

Old 03-08-2015, 08:13 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,168,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Maybe you didn't read this thread from the beginning but the OP stated that he went from absolutely no exercise to walking one mile twice daily on a treadmill. He is 65 years old.

Two hour a day of exercise is excessive for most people unless this is something you have been doing for years. You need to build up to it over time and do it on a regular basis. A 65 year old who has never exercised and is overweight is going to have a difficult time exercising enough to lose weight. Many of the people who have responded here recognize this and have recommended diet changes.

This is not to suggest that the OP should not exercise. There are many reasons to exercise other than just burning calories. Many people who begin exercising have unrealistic expectations as to the changes in their body and how quickly those changes will occur.

BTW, I have often exercised for more than two hours a day at a very high intensity level. There have been days I have played full court basketball for an hour and a half, ran six miles in 50 to 55 minutes, and lifted weights for an hour. I wish I could say that I am not carrying any excess pounds but it wouldn't be true.
2 hours of exercise a day? Unless you are a professional athlete that is just over the top. Who has time to do even an hour a day? Who WANTS to do even an hour. 20 minutes cardio a day..couple days of weights..45 minutes each ..you are good to go.

Old 03-08-2015, 08:34 PM

26,194 posts, read 21,601,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
It's possible you're gaining muscle and losing fat, making the weight change neutral.
This is not the issue and far too often people use this excuse for their lack of weight loss. Walking 1 mile in 21 minutes is pretty slow and isn't really burning hardly any calories. Instead of walking 2 miles at 31 min pace you'd be better off weight loss wise changing your diet

Old 03-09-2015, 05:00 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,673,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
2 hours of exercise a day? Unless you are a professional athlete that is just over the top. Who has time to do even an hour a day? Who WANTS to do even an hour. 20 minutes cardio a day..couple days of weights..45 minutes each ..you are good to go.
Did you read what wrote? Didn't think so! I'll repeat for you, "Two hours a day of exercise is excessive for most people unless this is something you have been doing for years."

I've done it before. I'm not doing it right now. It is not something you do 7 days a week for months at a time. I trained for three marathons. Played in a competitive basketball league at the same time and lifted weights. You do what you have time for and what your body can handle. I also don't do other time consuming activities like playing golf, bowling, riding quads, hunting, fishing, playing video game or going to many professional sporting events.

Old 03-10-2015, 02:18 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,392,572 times
Unlike many others here, I actually read the opening post. The person is 65 years old and previously inactive. So walking 1 mile in 21 minutes is a start for that particular person. I can't believe all the ridiculous invective piled on the shoulders of the OP.

The problem the OP is making is that few people will lose weight on just walking a mile a day. Depending on age and gender, 1 mile walking will burn off 70 calories for a petite female and about 120 calories for an overweight man. My advice is to continue walking and up your distance and time. Walk an hour a day.

Also, exercising 2 hours a day is not only for professional athletes. This Board is dominated almost exclusively by body builders who disdain cardio. I've run many marathons and routinely ran 2 hours a day for decades. Many people also play tennis or do cardio for 2 hours on some days, not a big deal. But for a sedentary 65 old person to suddenly do 2 hours of cardio a day is a BIG ask!

Old 03-10-2015, 04:02 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
I think if you read your post is a repeat of others have posted already. That different advise is give is common on forms and why often one post to get different views to decide between.

Old 03-11-2015, 11:38 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,280,531 times
OP,

Have you considered strength training? At your age (no offense), but lifting weights becomes even more important for bone density and joint health.

You don't have to lift like bodybuilders, but even calisthentics will help.

Congratulations on your lifestyle change.

Old 03-11-2015, 02:04 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,369,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
Unlike many others here, I actually read the opening post. The person is 65 years old and previously inactive. So walking 1 mile in 21 minutes is a start for that particular person. I can't believe all the ridiculous invective piled on the shoulders of the OP.

The problem the OP is making is that few people will lose weight on just walking a mile a day. Depending on age and gender, 1 mile walking will burn off 70 calories for a petite female and about 120 calories for an overweight man. My advice is to continue walking and up your distance and time. Walk an hour a day.

Also, exercising 2 hours a day is not only for professional athletes. This Board is dominated almost exclusively by body builders who disdain cardio. I've run many marathons and routinely ran 2 hours a day for decades. Many people also play tennis or do cardio for 2 hours on some days, not a big deal. But for a sedentary 65 old person to suddenly do 2 hours of cardio a day is a BIG ask!
this. You have to increase gradually even if you are 22. I still remember my first efforts at distance running as a teenager. I around the block, probably less than 1/2 mile, and thought it was going to kill me.

OP was disappointed with results after two weeks, but two weeks is just enough time to establish a habit. That is the result after two weeks. Weight loss and endurance will come later. My guess is that around 6 months she will start to see real results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness