Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 02:44 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,168,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Did you read what wrote? Didn't think so! I'll repeat for you, "Two hours a day of exercise is excessive for most people unless this is something you have been doing for years."

I've done it before. I'm not doing it right now. It is not something you do 7 days a week for months at a time. I trained for three marathons. Played in a competitive basketball league at the same time and lifted weights. You do what you have time for and what your body can handle. I also don't do other time consuming activities like playing golf, bowling, riding quads, hunting, fishing, playing video game or going to many professional sporting events.
It wasn't meant for you..I meant to attach to the poster you responded to..sorry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 11:43 AM

3 posts, read 3,287 times
Default Good Job!

How long have you been doing this workout? Has it been a couple weeks? Have you made any changes in your nutrition?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
I went from absolutely no exercise to working out twice daily on a treadmill. Have worked up to 1 mile in 21 minutes twice a day. Pace is 3 miles an hour and 1.5 to 2 incline. Shouldn't I see some - even 1 or 2 pounds of weight loss by now? I'm getting a little discouraged. People told me it would start to melt off relatively soon.

I don't expect miracles, but something. Am I being too impatient? Any encouragement and success stories would be most welcome.

Old 04-01-2015, 08:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,909 times
Hello, I am new to this discussion. My current weight is 260lbs. I am 6'0" so I wear it well (considering). One thing I have come to realize is losing weight is all about eating a clean diet + exercise. I have a hard time changing that. however, my exercise is great. I train wrestling and jiu jitsu to improve my cardio. I have been doing it for about 3 years but the diet has not changed much. As a result, I have not lost any pounds. I do know a major part of my food consumption should be fish, chicken, lots of vegtables and low acidic fruits. I just need some help changing the bad eating habits.

Old 04-06-2015, 04:47 PM

49 posts, read 63,732 times
"I went from absolutely no exercise to working out twice daily on a treadmill. Have worked up to 1 mile in 21 minutes twice a day. Pace is 3 miles an hour and 1.5 to 2 incline. Shouldn't I see some - even 1 or 2 pounds of weight loss by now? I'm getting a little discouraged. People told me it would start to melt off relatively soon.

I don't expect miracles, but something. Am I being too impatient? Any encouragement and success stories would be most welcome."

I walked moderate pace with hill outside 2-3 days/week, Did HARD Elliptical 45-60 minutes 3 times a week for a month or 2 & lost maybe 1-2Lbs. I would run but because of physical injuries I can't! ....I went the Nutrisystem route which got 35Lbs. before (in 4.5-5 months) & I've lost about 26-27Lbs. Since Feb. 12!... I exercise Hard on a machine I bought from an infomercial 3-5 years ago that kind of simulates a "KettleBell" Swing (but Nowhere near as hard/good) After my initial week I've increased it to over an hour a Day....
Good luck with yours but walking didn't cut it for me! ...Of course I have exercised a lot until 2-3 years ago & gained35lbs will losing a lot of Muscle! I'll start my weight workout soon!

Old 04-06-2015, 04:52 PM

49 posts, read 63,732 times
"
#83 Add to adonisratio's Reputation Report Post
Unread 04-01-2015, 10:01 PM
adonisratio
befriend

Hello, I am new to this discussion. My current weight is 260lbs. I am 6'0" so I wear it well (considering). One thing I have come to realize is losing weight is all about eating a clean diet + exercise. I have a hard time changing that. however, my exercise is great. I train wrestling and jiu jitsu to improve my cardio. I have been doing it for about 3 years but the diet has not changed much. As a result, I have not lost any pounds. I do know a major part of my food consumption should be fish, chicken, lots of vegtables and low acidic fruits. I just need some help changing the bad eating habits."
ADONISRATIO
SEE my post & try Nutrisystem it works for me!

Old 04-19-2015, 08:32 PM

33 posts, read 36,360 times
Not sure if its been said, but if yur not doing some muscle work...lifting some kind of weight or other activity that makes your muscles stronger, then you bodies efficiency might be low. Also, alot of people thing its about eating less, when its often about eating ENOUGH of the right stuff. If you don't eat enough your body will think its starving and hang onto fat "just in case" brake your calorie intake into 5 meals and snacks,. Because its constantly getting fed, it burns more energy faster. Think of an insecure person, they cling to what they are scared of losing same goes with the body. If your system is confident that more energy is coming, it will spend freely.

Old 04-24-2015, 08:07 AM

17,537 posts, read 39,154,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADMTL View Post
Not sure if its been said, but if yur not doing some muscle work...lifting some kind of weight or other activity that makes your muscles stronger, then you bodies efficiency might be low. Also, alot of people thing its about eating less, when its often about eating ENOUGH of the right stuff. If you don't eat enough your body will think its starving and hang onto fat "just in case" brake your calorie intake into 5 meals and snacks,. Because its constantly getting fed, it burns more energy faster. Think of an insecure person, they cling to what they are scared of losing same goes with the body. If your system is confident that more energy is coming, it will spend freely.
This ^^. And it is important to eat ENOUGH of the right foods to fuel one's activity level. I have finally found the perfect regimen for me. I eat a pretty big breakfast - bacon, eggs, toast and fruit and have a healthy but smaller proportioned dinner (fish or meat and vegetables, salad, etc) Lunch is almost always just a piece of fruit and some protein like tuna. I am very active, I dance a lot for cardio, ride my bike, do a little yoga, and a small amount of strength training. Since following this plan I dropped almost 20 lbs that was stubbornly clinging on, but it took nearly a year. But I wanted to only lose slowly, because I did NOT want to lose the muscle I worked hard to build. And the more muscle you have the more calories you burn. Nothing like doing a little strength training followed by cardio to blast the fat!

Old 04-24-2015, 08:12 AM

30,387 posts, read 19,184,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
I went from absolutely no exercise to working out twice daily on a treadmill. Have worked up to 1 mile in 21 minutes twice a day. Pace is 3 miles an hour and 1.5 to 2 incline. Shouldn't I see some - even 1 or 2 pounds of weight loss by now? I'm getting a little discouraged. People told me it would start to melt off relatively soon.

I don't expect miracles, but something. Am I being too impatient? Any encouragement and success stories would be most welcome.
Keep in mind weight is 90% diet and maybe 10% workout. I became overweight and out of shape and started on a 15 minute treadmill workout and added a minute till I was doing 2 hours/day. Yes it started working especially in conjunction with my diet change, which was a bigger factor and I became in excellent fit condition.

Old 04-24-2015, 09:49 AM

98 posts, read 88,483 times
You'd be surprised at how little you have to eat to regain those calories you just lost. Just takes a snack or two.

Old 04-24-2015, 10:43 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,210,024 times
I never understood these posts. walking on a treadmill doesn't do ****. you cant count leisurely walking on a treadmill as a "workout". I don't even count running on a treadmill a full workout.

where's the variety? no biking, ellipticals, swimming, hiking. you gotta confuse your body otherwise it will get used to a particular exercise and plateau and the calorie burning power won't be as effective over time. you also have no strength training component in your "workout". you have no intensity either. also, whats your diet look like? if you're drinking soda, stop.

and lol at these arbitrary "weight loss is 80% diet 20% exercise/90 to 10/85 to 15" crapola. do you know how many of these idiotic ratios ive seen? people think they can characterize everyone on a single weight loss formula. everyone has different metabolisms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness