Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 07:01 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times

Advertisements

65; hopefully you checked with a doctor on physical. Then you need to look up cardio exercise on goggle and they will give you level for what your getting by heart rate. I recommend you built up slowly and go the long route. Do not try to do what others and you could do at 20-40 is my advise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 07:08 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,357,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Start doing sprints and resting once a day for 20 minutes or so. All signs point towards shorter workouts with more intensity for weight loss and general good health. ..

3.0 is walking 20 minutes..that will do little for weight loss. Think about this ..when you get off the machine do you even break a sweat at that speed? Doubtful.
Yes, I do break a sweat. At about 17 minutes. Could you be a little kinder to a beginner? I'm looking for some support, advice and encouragement here. Please define shorter workouts, what more intensity looks like, etc. How does not exercising at all and going to 2 miles a day not help with weight loss?

Old 03-03-2015, 07:11 PM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Start doing sprints and resting once a day for 20 minutes or so. All signs point towards shorter workouts with more intensity for weight loss and general good health. ..

3.0 is walking 20 minutes..that will do little for weight loss. Think about this ..when you get off the machine do you even break a sweat at that speed? Doubtful.
I agree ^^. I am 65 y.o., and that is just a warmup for my workouts. I do strength training, belly dance, bicycling and yoga, and it took me a year to drop 15 lbs. BUT.... I wanted to lose slowly, and build up my muscle. It takes time to lose weight properly, and you MUST eat right along with mixing up your training.

Good luck and don't give up!

Old 03-03-2015, 07:19 PM

468 posts, read 583,287 times
Food is fuel to the body. The amount of fuel(calories) you give your body is the exact same amount your body has to use as fuel that day. That means no weight gain, but no loss either. You are in stasis. OK but your goal is to lose. You have to use up the calories you ate that day and plus some, taken from your own body reserves. How do you do that in a short amount of time, where it is noticeable? only one way I know if we are looking for results in a short time; MUSCLE BUILDING AS IN BODY BUILDING. Outside of that you can do a regimented exercise plan but it will take you well over a year to see results and that is with at least being in the gym at minimum two days a week, for a minimum of an hour.

Muscle eats calories. Calories is what your body turns into fat. So feed your muscles that will eat your fat.

Depending on your life style you only have two choices, do it slow steadily over the years or do it fast via body building.

Old 03-03-2015, 07:53 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,164,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
Yes, I do break a sweat. At about 17 minutes. Could you be a little kinder to a beginner? I'm looking for some support, advice and encouragement here. Please define shorter workouts, what more intensity looks like, etc. How does not exercising at all and going to 2 miles a day not help with weight loss?
I do want to encourage you. All I am saying is if you want to use exercise as a weight loss, you are gonna have to do more than 3.0. The way intervals work is you ramp up your pace for a 1 to 2 minute period...then slow down your pace for 1 to 2 minutes. In your case, it might mean going to 4.0 for a 1 or 2 minute stretch..then easing down to 2.5 for 1 or 2 minutes. Make sure you do the rest cycle though! If you use this method just test out what you feel comfortable with.

Personally, walking is better than nothing..but its just that..a little better than nothing. Challenge yourself to try to up your pace even if its just to 3.5 for 30 seconds..you will start seeing results not only in your body but in your endurance. Check with your doctor and see what he or she recommends for intervals for you as everyone is different and you want to make sure your heart can handle any additional stress....once you start this method you won't want to do it any other way. But I agree slowly ramp up..

Old 03-03-2015, 09:20 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,445,889 times
That is pretty much what happens at our gym, people expect to loose weight by using the tread mill and very few actually do.

Old 03-03-2015, 10:19 PM

10,069 posts, read 7,241,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
I went from absolutely no exercise to working out twice daily on a treadmill. Have worked up to 1 mile in 21 minutes twice a day. Pace is 3 miles an hour and 1.5 to 2 incline. Shouldn't I see some - even 1 or 2 pounds of weight loss by now? I'm getting a little discouraged. People told me it would start to melt off relatively soon.

I don't expect miracles, but something. Am I being too impatient? Any encouragement and success stories would be most welcome.
A 21 minute mile is a pretty low-intensity workout. You probably need to double that pace to see quicker results, the "melting away" that people said. If you stick to a reasonable diet you will get into better shape at that pace but it's going to take a while, so yeah, be patient. At that pace it could take months to see results.

If you want it to go faster, you are going to have to work out harder or much longer.

At age 65 you don't want to overdo it, but you also don't want to not progress. Try doing something like increasing the speed by .1 every 3rd workout until you can comfortably do 4.0

Quote:
How does not exercising at all and going to 2 miles a day not help with weight loss?
It's possible you're gaining muscle and losing fat, making the weight change neutral. I can guarantee that you're more healthy walking 2 miles than you were doing nothing.

Last edited by redguard57; 03-03-2015 at 10:28 PM..

Old 03-03-2015, 10:57 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times
How many calories you take in is much more important than exercise, the hard truth.

Good job on exercising, it's good for you health. But when you compare how many calories you burned vs. how much you eat, each lb of fat is approx. 3500 calories so compare your treadmill results vs 3500 and then you begin to understand it's much more important to control calories that run another 1 hour on treadmill.

Your thread was a nice reminder for me since I have stressed, binge eating, and working out for 1 hour at the gym with no results.

Old 03-04-2015, 12:04 AM

29,518 posts, read 22,661,647 times
When you get older it's also important to do some resistance training.

Old 03-04-2015, 02:55 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,345,504 times
Let's see, 2miles a day @70-120 calories a mile (depends if you're walking, jogging or running) and you need to burn 3500 calories to lose 1lbs.....

Wouldn't it be easier to not drink that one soda or eat that one cookie then to walk 45mins to burn it off?

Focus your weight loss on diet. Lose weight in the kitchen, exercise to get in shape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness